Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

How more useless can Vista get? - Page 2

Re: How more useless can Vista get?

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-10-05 19:23:45
The file is still too big, says Gmail. Hotmail is taking ages, it's been like 2 hours since trying to attach the file, same with Yahoo Mail. *Sigh*

Posted by: Angrysmurf
Date: 2009-10-05 20:08:25
Oh well- it was worth a shot, anyway.

Date: 2009-10-05 20:31:12
It's driving me nuts. Normally when I attach one song/wallpaper, it takes a few minutes (song), few seconds (wallpaper), but a file it's taking too long. I'll have a shot at sending through MSN/Yahoo later.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-10-05 21:04:53
Do you have a 4GiB+ flash drive?

If so, copy it on there.

Date: 2009-10-05 21:22:53
I don't have anything like that. It would no doubt costs me an arm and a leg, since not a lot is cheap here in England.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-10-05 21:26:20
Actually, a 4GB flash drive from Asda is £12.

http://direct.asda.com/Maxell-4GB-USB-Stick/000542463,default,pd.html

e: From Sainsbury's a different model of the same size is £12.99.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/technology/computing_and_gaming/109294057_optima_4gb_usb_20_drive.html?hnav=4294966701

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-10-05 21:31:59

The file is still too big, says Gmail. Hotmail is taking ages, it's been like 2 hours since trying to attach the file, same with Yahoo Mail. *Sigh*
…Are you even reading what gary says?

Date: 2009-10-05 22:11:15
I have but I've already said I don't understand half the things like that. I've said three times I don't understand anything about a fucking IRC server or whatever it is. I've been trying to find another way, I've said that things like an IRC, confuses me I don't understand it so don't say I've been ignoring Gary, when I haven't I've been saying that I can't understand anything like IRCs.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2009-10-06 11:25:14
[size=3]==THE FOLLOWING COMMENT IS COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE AND SHOULD NOT BE READ BY THOSE WHO ARE NOT IN A GOOD MOOD WITH THEIR UPLOADING TASKS==[/size]

You do know that the best upload speed in the UK (for consumers rather than businesses) is about 500kbps. That is about 60KB in a second (because the speed is worked out in Bits not Bytes). Your file is about 3,500,000,000 Bytes and at 60,000 bytes per  second the upload will take about 58300 seconds which is about 972 minutes which in hours is about 16. It is unlikely that you will get even that speed, meaning the upload may take twice, three times or maybe more than that. Thus over the internet is not a good idea.

[size=3]==IT GETS BETTER THOUGH!!!==[/size]

BUT…
You are trying to send it to your own computer from your laptop. Your wireless network would be 54000kbps and Ethernet is more, so if the file is sent over a LOCAL NETWORK it will be a lot faster (note the capitals are because I am getting enthusiastic, not because it is a new term). Thus if you share the section of your hard drive or send the files (See HERE) or use a LAN based messenger (See HERE)

Alternatively you could spend hours on IRC or get a Flash Drive (which is actually very useful)
I think this is what you are looking for. Your computers may already have a Shared Folder (It has a little hand underneath on XP)

I (personally) believe that LAN is the best bet!

Date: 2009-10-06 11:59:44
I've never had problems sending files in the past. Vista, is just a ass for the lame-ass updates.

Edit: I try and turn my stats on online I keep getting a stupid error.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-10-06 14:11:08
IRC IS JUST LIKE MSN BUT WITH MORE PEOPLE PER WINDOW, DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL MIRC AND I'LL GIVE YOU AN AUTOCONNECT LINK THAT CONNECTS YOU INSTANTLY IN ONE CLICK VIA FIREFOX.

Here's the link: irc://abwayax.com/glitchcity

Date: 2009-10-06 14:24:59

I've never had problems sending files in the past. Vista, is just a ass for the lame-ass updates.

Edit: I try and turn my stats on online I keep getting a stupid error.

Have you ever sent anything this big?

Date: 2009-10-06 14:26:07
I've sent big files before. A friend of mine sent me a game, that can play without a CD, and that was a big file.

Date: 2009-10-06 14:37:38

I've sent big files before. A friend of mine sent me a game, that can play without a CD, and that was a big file.

Well, I said that I believe that LAN would be quicker. I'll leave it at that, because there is no need to force my opinion on you (Gary :P)

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-10-06 14:43:38

Well, I said that I believe that LAN would be quicker. I'll leave it at that, because there is no need to force my opinion on you (Gary :P)

Nah, I'll let her try to upload to an email thing. :\