Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Wow... - Page 1

Wow...

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2010-01-12 22:50:23
Our first banned member…lj1987, got banned the same day that he joined.
By posting the same crap over and over in different dying topics. How sad that there are such idiots in the world….

Re: Wow...

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2010-01-12 22:55:47
He/she isn't an idiot. lj1897 is most likely being paid to spam random forums, or it's a robot. We've been getting more spam lately, ranging from spam topics to stuff like this. The last two attacks have been in engrish. Perhaps we should make a simple test to see if somebody's a human, if that's possible. It doesn't have to be one of those character recognition ones, just something like we had in the old comment system ("How many legs does the average dog/cat have?"). Then we could at least keep the bots out.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2010-01-13 01:23:29
It must be a bot, because I've had the bot "ghij072" post some pointless crap in one of my boards at my Hellgar Forums last year. Another forum I go to, was forced to move servers because everyday, and nearly every second, there was a "new member", and even with the question (it was a math question) they still got in, and last time I went there, there was over 1,000 new members, they nearly all had a "birthday" a few days after they were signing up. I don't think that may work, Wa, if the math question didn't keep the Reiko forums where it was, then what's to stop these damn spambots coming back here? I've only had one bot appear, and no more since. My friends forum was bombed with bots and they'd post crap but the bots at the old Reiko forums didn't post, just continue to sign up each time. I think the bots have "changed" and maybe able to bypass a security question. Either what Wa says, might work or something else. To tell one is human, why not put up a quiz?

Date: 2010-01-13 08:12:42
Agreed. Let's hope Abwayax, I MEAN, Adrian does that.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2010-01-13 11:37:19
I have a solution.

Implement THREE (yes, THREE) character recognition things for each member with <100 posts (who shall have their own group named Outsider).  All movement out of this group must be approved by a majority of all admins and global moderators.  AlsomergeWaandflygonlover.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2010-01-13 15:42:32

I have a solution.

Implement THREE (yes, THREE) character recognition things for each member with <100 posts (who shall have their own group named Outsider).  All movement out of this group must be approved by a majority of all admins and global moderators.  AlsomergeWaandflygonlover.

The approval thing happened before and it didn't work out.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2010-01-13 23:27:14
It's a bot.

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2010-01-14 00:03:13
Try another approval system, but this time the only requirement to get approved is to convincingly speak like a real human.

It should be easy for real humans.

Date: 2010-01-14 00:40:56

Try another approval system, but this time the only requirement to get approved is to convincingly speak like a real human.

And for semi-humans such as myself.

Date: 2010-01-14 01:05:17

Perfect idea!

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2010-01-14 11:16:04

Then spammers will create Markov bots to get around this by speaking like a real human.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2010-01-14 12:16:10
Sonic retro has that pending membership thing because they want to keep stupidity out of the boards. There is another benefit to it as the spambots are only allowed to post in one board and its a board only admins, mods, and pending members can see. (I'm actually not sure if mods are able to see it or not.)

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2010-01-18 00:08:26
Yeah, we tried pending membership and it never worked out.

One of my old forums had a pretty cool human verification thing. It asked "Are ya ready, kids?" and the correct answer was "Aye aye captain!"

Date: 2010-01-18 02:50:52

One of my old forums had a pretty cool human verification thing. It asked "Are ya ready, kids?" and the correct answer was "Aye aye captain!"
That is just win on a stick.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2010-01-23 00:53:38
Jesus H. Christ, this needs to stop. Not only are there obvious bots roaming about, but many new "members" put links to unrelated sites in their profiles, an obvious attempt at boosting search engine ratings. Perhaps a different pending membership system should be reinstated, such as being allowed one introductory post to determine whether the poster is a bot.