Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Roll Call - Page 2

Re: Roll Call

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2012-05-07 15:16:42
Well i'm here. :) I pop in from time to time to see how the site is going. Though I really should be looking for bugs… :V

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2012-06-18 05:13:09
I know I've already posted in this thread implying I am actually here in a roundabout smart-ass way, but there's a few words I'd like to say explaining why I always will be.
WARNING: EMOTIONAL COOL STORY BRO INCOMING

This forum is like a family to me, really. I suppose some might see that as a bit pathetic, but I don't. I've known the people here since I was like 10 or 11 or some crap, and if it weren't for me discovering those people 9 years ago I probably wouldn't have as much social skills as I do today (which still isn't that much, but still). I know some people who have been here a long time feel a bit of regret that they spent their childhood on the internet and not outside or whatever, but I am not one of those people. I've gained quite a few friends here (even if it's unlikely I'll actually see them in reality), probably lost a few friends, had all sorts of weird and wacky relationships with some people that started off here. And I know I've done/said some things that I very much regret here or in chatrooms associated with its members, no doubts about that. But I've come to realise over the last few months that life is about accepting the mistakes you've made and building yourself as a character based on those mistakes (and succeedsingsions or whatever the word is), and if it weren't for me spending the most of my teenage life here instead of hanging around outside and being isolated as I would have been at that age, I wouldn't have been able to develop myself. So I will never regret having been here, and I will always stay here or if this place closes down entirely move to wherever everyone else tends to hang out, because the community here is important to me. Even if I don't actively take as much interest in video game glitches as perhaps I used to.

Or something like that. Now how about a group hug?

Posted by: FullMetalGlitch
Date: 2012-06-18 08:25:38
Present. ;D

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2012-06-18 09:53:57
*hugs Zowayix*
*Zowayix dies*

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2012-06-19 15:01:05

I know I've already posted in this thread implying I am actually here in a roundabout smart-ass way, but there's a few words I'd like to say explaining why I always will be.

This forum is like a family to me, really. I suppose some might see that as a bit pathetic, but I don't. I've known the people here since I was like 10 or 11 or some crap, and if it weren't for me discovering those people 9 years ago I probably wouldn't have as much social skills as I do today (which still isn't that much, but still). I know some people who have been here a long time feel a bit of regret that they spent their childhood on the internet and not outside or whatever, but I am not one of those people. I've gained quite a few friends here (even if it's unlikely I'll actually see them in reality), probably lost a few friends, had all sorts of weird and wacky relationships with some people that started off here. And I know I've done/said some things that I very much regret here or in chatrooms associated with its members, no doubts about that. But I've come to realise over the last few months that life is about accepting the mistakes you've made and building yourself as a character based on those mistakes (and succeedsingsions or whatever the word is), and if it weren't for me spending the most of my teenage life here instead of hanging around outside and being isolated as I would have been at that age, I wouldn't have been able to develop myself. So I will never regret having been here, and I will always stay here or if this place closes down entirely move to wherever everyone else tends to hang out, because the community here is important to me. Even if I don't actively take as much interest in video game glitches as perhaps I used to.

I second that speech.
I've known you guys for like what… 6 years at least? Without GCLF it's like there's a little hole in my internet life and I don't like it. I LOVE YOU GUYS. Yes we've all been idiots, but we still love each other.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2012-06-19 18:43:39

I second that emotion. Thanks to everyone here, I probably wouldn't have the interest in technology, programming, and Pokemon that I do today.

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2012-06-19 20:30:46
That also applies to me, but it wasn't specifically on this forum (I've only been around here since the temp forum thing :P). Actually, only two forums had that special meaning to me, where I made great friends and became a better person (although I still suck at socializing). But unfortunately, both are dead by now, and I'm yet to find a replacement (which might take long). But my solid friendships are thanks to them, and our good moments there haven't been forgotten.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-06-20 14:17:19

I share your feelings Zowayix.

While I can't relate to it as well, and I was never a person who would participate in chatrooms or IRC chat, this forum helped me to learn and develop as a person. It taught me to be patient, conscientious and unassuming. The forum gave me a hobby in glitching, and it helped form my identity in knowing that many users had a shared interest in glitches.

Sometime earlier before I joined Glitch City Laboratories I joined the MMORPG Runescape. On Runescape, I felt confident in that many of the people who I spoke to shared common goals as skillers. It helped reinforce my hobby as a 'skiller'. Later we made various achievements on that game, and it taught me that after you establish a shared hobby or interest, then as long as it remains your interest there is no point giving up on it. I learned that 'growing up' is not about being who you are not, and it is instead about maintaining a stable lifestyle that suits your hobbies and interests.

I admit that Runescape soon became an obsession that no longer interest me, that also affected my physical well-being. In 2010 I eventually quit, accepting this fact, but when Glitch City Laboratories went offline my interest in glitches was still as strong as ever. I could not forget it. I posted on the Glitch City Laboratories temporary forum as if was still online, and there several more people joined who were interested in glitches.

*Joins in the group hug*

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2012-06-20 17:13:01
Man, it sure has been a long time since I've been on here.  I think I used to be active till up about when the site went down.  Boy was I sure a twat.  I really am embarrassed about how much of an asshole I was to most, if not all of you, and I really would like to apologize sincerely, especially to Papa Doc and tachi.  Goodness gracious what was wrong with middle school-aged me.

Dude, this.  Just this.  Not sure what else to add here, since you pretty much covered how I feel about this place.

(By the way, do any of you know where the irc group went when #infinitybar closed down?  I wasn't around for that debacle so I have no idea what happened to everyone)

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2012-06-20 23:01:05
Obviously, as the founder of GCL (and the various other sites that preceded it), I've been around here a pretty fucking long time, and there are plenty of good and bad memories. Zowayix is the only other person I think who's been here that long, so he knows what he's talking about. While I have some misgivings about my internet life in general (of which GCL is obviously a part, but not the only), I do appreciate the community that has been built around GCL. It amazes me that people have stuck by us for five, six, seven years almost without fail.

Keep on rocking, GCLF. *group hug*

Aside: I sincerely apologize for how long it's been taking. It's nearing the end actually; some data needs to be put into the dexes and some style changes need to be made, but I think we'll be there soon. As soon as I feel the site is presentable (and no sooner) I'll put it up "for real" and send out a mass email to all registered users to check us out.

And now for an important announcement: I've been the owner and head administrator of Glitch City Laboratories for effectively eight years. That's nearly a third of my life. While I can't honestly say I've "grown out of Pokemon" I do feel my interest in glitches and the fandom has significantly waned since approximately 2010. I didn't plan this when I took it down to begin with, but given how my life has been turning out since then, it's inevitable that it has to come to this. It's been a very long road for me, so I feel this is the appropriate thread to announce this in.

Once the site is completely renovated, I will be stepping down as head administrator. I've already chosen my replacement, who will assume the duty of head admin once I step down. I'll still be an ordinary admin and I'll still host GCL on my server, which makes me in charge of purely technical matters, but the running of the wiki and forums will be left to the new head to run as he sees fit. I won't be "going away" either, I'll still be hanging around (how can I not?).

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2012-06-21 00:13:26
*joins hug*

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2012-06-21 04:11:44

(By the way, do any of you know where the irc group went when #infinitybar closed down?  I wasn't around for that debacle so I have no idea what happened to everyone)

It closed down? Last time I checked it existed enough for me to be banned from there.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2012-06-22 17:02:41

It closed down? Last time I checked it existed enough for me to be banned from there.

As far as I can tell, everyone is banned there.  I'm assuming that that was their method of shutting it down, since I don't think they'd just ban random inactive people.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2012-06-30 19:08:16
*Joins group hug* So yeah I popped in again. :V Anyway, i've been part of GCL for almost 6 years now (will be 6 in December, since I have multiple accounts… sorry about that. :\) and I know that's not as long as some of you but this was my first forum and I wouldn't have known proper Forum Etiquette if it wasn't for this site. I know I was a n00b when I first joined, and I look back at those posts and just cringe now but I have definitely matured since I was 16. :V I do apologize for how I acted back then, and for the multiple accounts. (I forgot my passwords… I don't know why I thought making a new account would solve that but meh…)In fact if it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't be an Admin for a Teen Titans forum as my posts would most likely be horrible. xD Here's to more great years here at GCL. :D And I promise I won't be a n00b ever again. :V

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2012-07-08 17:01:26
-dogpiles on group hug and smothers everyone with love-

In all honesty, I probably wouldn't have became as interested in technology and video games as much as I am currently without the community here and all the content on this site.
And not just the content, too, but the entire community here has been with me, and I've not only discovered some great information about Pokemon, but I've also made some great friends, too. I haven't been the best of mods, I know that, and while I am not very active anymore, I still consider all of you to be my third family.

Hopefully I'll be more active when this site starts to roll again. I'll have to be; I'll be busy monitoring everyone's introductions to make sure "The Hooked Metapod" doesn't become an out-of-hand dead-meme once again.

I feel like this thread is just all of us, talking in a bar, sitting down and having a beer and recalling memories. Who wants a Rolling Rock with me? -cheers-