Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Polls

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive or Super Nintendo? Which one would you choose? - Page 1

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive or Super Nintendo? Which one would you choose?

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-05-09 14:44:51
You know, there has always  been a fight between Nintendo and Sega Nerds about which was better of the two.

Now the Super Nintendo was know to be graphically and audibly superior to the Genesis. The system however suffered from severe slowdown at some points and had an issue where only a certain amount of data could be stored on a cartridge despite the Cartridge's file size being bigger than the Genesis' (which was in a heavily compressed format which allowed Genesis Ports of some multi-platform games to have more levels and voice sound effects than the SNES.)

However, the Genesis had some inside Technical working that enabled it to run at high framerates with hardly any slowdown. It also had an assortment of other "internal goodies" as well. It was however lacking in sound quality (Despite this some composers such a Yuzo Koshiro, were able to pull off some amazing soundtracks) and had issues with color palletes in some games due to limitations.

Now I leave it up to you to decide. If you like both then that's acceptable. Just no fighting.

Re: Sega Genesis/Mega Drive or Super Nintendo? Which one would you choose?

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-05-09 20:58:04
Super Nintendo.  The specs are comparable, but the variety of games for the SNES is much better.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-05-09 21:22:46
Hmm, I don't think I've had a Genesis, but my older brother had a NES, when I was a child, and then we got the SENS when it came out, so I'm fine with both the SNES and the Megadrive. (I own both, even though my SNES barely works, these days).

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-05-09 22:35:46
If we go by capabilities, then definitely the Sega Genesis. Colors don't matter, you can always use shading tricks to get more colors. (Especially when emulators are in TV Mode or on actual hardware and a TV.)

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-05-10 02:56:31

If we go by capabilities, then definitely the Sega Genesis. Colors don't matter, you can always use shading tricks to get more colors. (Especially when emulators are in TV Mode or on actual hardware and a TV.)

If we went by capabilities, the Game Boy would have been forgotten in the face of every other handheld out there. :^D

Date: 2009-05-11 18:07:12

Hmm, I don't think I've had a Genesis, but my older brother had a NES, when I was a child, and then we got the SENS when it came out, so I'm fine with both the SNES and the Megadrive. (I own both, even though my SNES barely works, these days).

The Sega Mega Drive and Sega Genesis are the same system. The Mega Drive is called the Genesis here in the US because something was copyrighted with the name Mega Drive in the US. They are the same system other than that except for the NTSC/PAL Region differences of course.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2009-05-29 18:48:10

Super Nintendo.  The specs are comparable, but the variety of games for the SNES is much better.
QFT

Date: 2009-05-29 19:00:49
I choose the Genesis/32x/Sega CD combo.  That system pwns Super Nintendo anyday.

Date: 2009-05-31 21:10:58

I choose the Genesis/32x/Sega CD combo.  That system pwns Super Nintendo anyday.

Don't forget to add the Nomad into the mix! (Granted the battery life sucked but the system was win. Even if it didn't support 32X and Sega CD It was fun to play Geneisis games on the go. Someone actually figured out how to raise the Nomad's battery life too as well as making it 32X compatible.)

I also liked the Sega CDX. It was truly awesome to have a Portable CD Player that could be hooked  up to a TV and play Genesis and Sega CD games, just as long as it was plugged in.

Posted by: Krisp
Date: 2009-06-07 07:54:19
This is a hard one, since Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis are my two favorite consoles. Growing up I had a Genesis and lots of disney games and Sonic games, and I enjoyed every single one of them (even the extremely hard Lion King.) I didn't get an SNES until I was old enough to buy stuff on eBay, but I previously played most of the games on emulators. Both consoles have a great library of games, and both are capable of great platforming (my favorite genre), so determining my favorite is almost impossible. However, if I had to choose only one, I say Sega Genesis because I grew up with it and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was my first game.

Date: 2009-06-07 11:36:08
This is more of a poll than a debate so I'll put this in the Polls board.

*Moves*

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2009-06-08 05:17:35
But aren't all debates polls, since they're just comparing one person's opinion against the other?
And on a related note, SNES, because it has Kirby Super Star on it (and Sonic is overrated)

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2009-07-09 03:03:20
SNES, because I've heard many awesome songs on it.

Don't forget to add the Nomad into the mix! (Granted the battery life sucked but the system was win. Even if it didn't support 32X and Sega CD It was fun to play Geneisis games on the go. Someone actually figured out how to raise the Nomad's battery life too as well as making it 32X compatible.)

I also liked the Sega CDX. It was truly awesome to have a Portable CD Player that could be hooked  up to a TV and play Genesis and Sega CD games, just as long as it was plugged in.

I wouldn't mind a Genesis/Sega CD/Mega 32x combo with a Super Nintendo SPC processor. The SPC processor is what gives the SNES its superior audio capabilities.

Also, in some ways, the Genesis excels in graphics, in others, the SNES excels. Are there any SNES games that have the awesome parallax scrolling effects from Hydrocity Zone Act 1 in Sonic 3? I don't think so.

This is not to say, though, that the Genesis doesn't have any awesome songs. It has a lot, especially those from the Phantasy Star series.

Gamewise, I can't choose between either. Both are equally good in terms of games.

Date: 2009-07-13 10:16:49
I agree with you there Mugendai. I grew up with both the SNES and Genesis simultaneously. As a result, my background culture taste in video games is mixed. I do enjoy the SPC on the Super Nintendo. In fact I ripped the whole soundtrack of Super Godzilla because people wanted it so badly. It came out very nice too. The Sound emulation is nearly perfect.

The YM2612 chip wasn't actually anymore superior or inferior to the SNES IMO. It just uses a different hardware than the SNES. It does have trouble with voices as they come out muffled but it still is a very good soundchip. The Genesis was meant to not only be backwards compatible with the Master System but it was also meant to mimic Sega-16 Arcade Hardware. the only bad part is that most ports of the Sega- 16 Arcade games were inaccurate or poorly made compared to their arcade version. In the early days of the Genesis, third party companies like Capcom kept the Genesis alive.

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-07-13 10:21:54
Super nintendo, easy.
First of all It has alot of good games
second It was my childhood freind.