Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Announcements

The Warn-o-meter! - Page 1

The Warn-o-meter!

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2006-06-08 04:44:17
Yes. We have a warning system now. No, it's not the Three Strikes system, in case you were wondering.

Presenting, in all its glory:
[size=14pt]The Warn-o-meter![/size]

Yep. You heard me.

Basically, what
is…

It's a number displayed on users' profiles and on your posts in bold that starts out at 0. Every time the user breaks the rules or does something extremely stupid, the WoM increases. (the more major the rule, the sharper the increase) When the WoM gets to 50 or higher, you're eligible for Burnination; however Burnination usually lasts 2 days (see the Groups thread for more information on the Burninated usergroup). When the WoM reaches 100, you're eligible for a Ban. Bans can be from temporary (lasting an Admin-determined period of time) to permanent (usually given to repeat offenders). However, if you manage to stay good for a while, the WoM may just find itself decreasing.

If you are unbanned, the WoM is lowered steadily. Therefore, newly unbanned users have a significantly greater chance of being rebanned than one who constantly stays within the rules.

This system is still in beta. As always, we the staff reserve the right to make whatever modifications we want to it.

Yes, Staff have the Warn-o-meter too, and it also applies to us. However, our Staff are chosen (in part) because they respect the rules. If one of our Staff decides they are above the rules, a demotion usually comes before a ban.

I've increased my WoM to 1 to show everyone what it looks like. I will reset it to zero later this week.

A final note - It seems WoMs at 0 do not show on profiles.

Re: The Warn-o-meter!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2006-09-16 18:47:05
What happened to the warn-o-meter? it won't show for anyone anymore..

Posted by: ACE91
Date: 2006-09-16 18:50:37
Actually, I think it still exists, the staff has just forgotten it's here. :P Because we've forgotten about it, no one's has gone up, and therefore no one's is visible.

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2006-09-27 23:43:41
I set mine to 1 to see what it looks like.

Okay, it looks like:
Warn-o-meter: 1 ?
The ? brings you here.

Date: 2006-09-27 23:51:46

Actually, I think it still exists, the staff has just forgotten it's here. :P Because we've forgotten about it, no one's has gone up, and therefore no one's is visible.

We haven't warned anyone yet. I haven't forgotten about it, but I have not seen fit to warn anyone.

Posted by: PokemonPichu
Date: 2006-09-27 23:56:41

We haven't warned anyone yet. I haven't forgotten about it, but I have not seen fit to warn anyone.

Me either. Your rules aren't so strict for anyone to break the rules yet.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2006-09-28 12:14:08
Frankly I'm not sure I could get to WoM 50 even if I tried!
I think the only way I could possibly get that high is if I begged you admins to make me that high!!!

Though frankly I'm a goody goody!

Date: 2006-10-01 15:02:27

Me either. Your rules aren't so strict for anyone to break the rules yet.

That's quite intentional. I focus less on making an iron-fisted totalitarian society and more on making a happy-happy joy-joyful community.

Newo: It's quite easy, actually. No one's ever wanted to, though ;)

Posted by: Bobaloo
Date: 2007-02-11 20:11:54
SHOOT

MY BROTHERS GONNA GET ME BANNED.

Date: 2007-02-11 20:34:49

SHOOT

Good for him.

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2007-02-11 20:35:48

SHOOT

Get a seperate account. You can make up an e-mail address, we don't care.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-02-12 15:11:14

SHOOT

Get a seperate account. You can make up an e-mail address, we don't care.

SHOCK HORROR! YOU DON'T CARE?[size=1pt]*goes and makes spam accounts* :P[/size]

Ronald Mc. Donald Trump!

Date: 2007-02-12 17:36:14
I THINK MY BROTHERS GONNA USE MY ACCOUNT[size=1pt]I dont know why he wont bother to get his own[/size]

Posted by: ACE91
Date: 2007-02-12 17:59:07
Bobaloo, I've got three words for you: CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD. That's the easiest way to keep someone from stealing your account.

Date: 2007-02-12 20:14:14
But I have to tell him :'( :'( :'(