Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Announcements

Sig Restrictions - Page 1

Sig Restrictions

Posted by: ACE91
Date: 2006-06-22 19:55:17
Recently, there have been some users with excessively large sigs around GCL, so I have decided to create official signature restrictions for the forum. Below are the restrictions:

GCL Forums Signature Rules:

These rules won't necessarily be enforced by the exact numbers–if your sig image happens to be 701KB in size instead of 700 or less, we probably won't notice it or punish you for it. However, keep in mind that the staff does have the right to enforce these rules even on sigs that are over the limit by a single pixel or kilobyte, so you're better off staying well within the limit.

If your sig violates these restrictions, it will be removed and replaced with a link to this thread and a description of what rule you violated. Your Warn-O-Meter will also be increased by 10 to 30, depending on how excessively the rules were violated.

About users that had sigs violating the size limits before these rules were posted: You will have three days to change your sig to comply with these rules, and if you do not change it within three days, you will have your sig deleted and your Warn-O-Meter increased as described above.

Edit by Abwayax: Previous rules were too restrictive. Feel free to bicker about it.
Edit by Kyoukipichi: The rules may not be very restrictive since I edited them, but the pages aren't formatted in PDF.
Edit by Kyoukipichi: Even less restrictive. You can have words and images as long as you wish.

Re: Sig Restrictions

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2006-06-25 00:25:43
And I thought Serebii was strict... ::)

Posted by: PokemonPichu
Date: 2006-06-25 01:31:37
Still, the limit on the amount of images and links on Serebii are really strict.

Date: 2006-06-25 10:41:51

Still, the limit on the amount of images and links on Serebii are really strict.

True, but some people there have 200x200 images in their sigs, firmly between some text and maybe a smaller image too! I'm not the kind to put several images in my sig (mine's all text), but when a sig allowed in Serebii, TRS, TCOD, etc. needs to be cut in half to be acceptable here… thats pathetic…

Actually, I kinda like TCOD's rules. If these guys can get away with being a PG-13 forum, why can't we? XD

Posted by: ACE91
Date: 2006-06-25 21:13:11
I just threw these restrictions together to put a stop to the towering sigs full of sprites that were beginning to show up. If you want to edit these rules, it's fine with me. I thought that 200px was a little generous, actually–on NSider Forums, the limit for normal members was 45px. XD

Date: 2006-06-25 21:56:24
On NSider, members can't edit their own posts until they reach a certain postcount. And I don't see anything damaging about the sprite links.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2006-06-25 23:11:17
1000px is way too wide
800px is way too tall.
keep it good for the norm, which is 800X600

Posted by: GoldenChaos
Date: 2006-06-26 00:11:07
I despise the NSider fourums.  You can't have a sig or nothing until you post like a billion times.  Also, the idea of not being able to post until you read the rules (as in TOCD) is a good as well.

Date: 2006-06-26 00:29:41

1000px is way too wide
800px is way too tall.
keep it good for the norm, which is 800X600

It's staying as is, unless you can prove your point to me.

Edit: Perhaps 1000px is indeed a bit too wide. I'll decrease it to 750px.

Date: 2006-06-26 01:24:03
well, 800px is still a bit too tall. nobody likes having to scroll down because of an idiot's signature.

Date: 2006-06-26 01:49:01
heck. IMO, even 300 is a bit annoying. is there a possible coding that would create a profile option whether to show the full image, or cut it off/don't show it?

Date: 2006-06-26 04:12:57
You could either make the code tag have scrollbars or make signatures have scrollbars. Or both. At PokeCommunity the code tags had scroll bars and they were useful sometimes.

How about a spoiler tag that makes other have to click to view hidden text and images. And the hidden images wouldn't be loaded. That is what I would use in my signature to have a big signature, but not to make others have to scroll down or have slow page loading times.

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2006-06-26 14:06:42
RaZoR LeAf is strict! I should know. I'm Venustoise on that forum.

Date: 2006-06-26 14:30:04
Hahaha, RaZoR LeAf's sig would have broken the rules here earlier. XP

And I'll decrease the height limit to 600px.

PokemonPichu, there already is a spoiler tag. Ex:
[spoiler]All your base are belong to us. You are on the way to destruction. You have no chance to survive make your time. Ha Ha Ha Ha.[/spoiler]

Date: 2006-06-29 21:37:52
I know, but instead of highlighting you click on it to unhide like at starmen.net. If the spoiler tag unhides text and images (images shouldn't be loaded when it is hidden) when clicked, then people could have a large signature.