Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Announcements

Glitch Power is Back... or is it? You decide. - Page 3

Re: Glitch Power is Back... or is it? You decide.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-04-28 19:14:20
If this get's reenabled, I call once a month should be the time frame.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-04-28 19:18:00

Your terrible! I love it! however you still need to convince Abwayax! You've got my approval but I don't really count as a victory. The real victory is convincing Abwayax which evidentially will not be an easy task as you know all too well.

Umm… it is hard, but I've done it before… (not that it's good to do. (He DOES own the server.))  How do you think we have the GCLF 2.0 theme?

Edit: (A basic outline of how this theme came to be:

I saw the awesomeness of SMF Core and how (at the time) GCLF 1.0 theme was broken due to SMF 2.0.  I wanted to revamp it and did so, the only thing was Abwayax was wondering why I was doing it and really disapproved of it.  Newo and I were thinkning of what pictures to use for the Main Index to say what was posted in.  We decided on using the original decamark, PLOSION, and whatever Newo's decmark was.  Anyway, the theme was near completion and Abwayax started to like the theme but said "Use the Bulbasaurs from the main theme or your theme doesn't become the default theme."  As you can see, the Bulbasaurs were added and it is now the main theme.)

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-04-28 19:24:43
You mean he gets grouchy after you convince him? No surprise really. After all, what's a good head admin if they aren't constantly in a bad mood about something? (I'm joking but hey, head admins generally have to pretend to be grouches so they can instill fear into their peons/underlings.)

Date: 2009-04-28 19:26:34
No, not that he gets grouchy, just… I don't know.

Posted by: ultraVex
Date: 2009-04-28 19:40:48
If this isn't improved, no harm done. It's not like the end of the world, right? Let's not pressure anyone to re-enable what some don't want and most don't need.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-04-28 21:45:03
Karma/Glitch Power was disabled in 2007 because users had been consistently "draining" each other over and over again (1 2). I see it as a pointless popularity thing and I for one don't like the concept of popularity very much. Nonetheless, as some of the users seem to want it back (particularly some late 2007/2008 members who weren't even here to use the feature) including some staff, I'm re-enabling it. The caveat is that all users' Glitch Power is reset to +0/-0 (this can't be done from the admin CP, it's a database operation).

The other caveat is that there is a post quota set on it (25 posts, which nearly everyone has). When the new rank system comes in (see the "ranks and badges" thread) the drain/boost ability will probably be relegated to the second level member rank.

Edit: Goddamn it stop enabling post count, I had that disabled for a reason too

Abwayax started to like the theme but said "Use the Bulbasaurs from the main theme or your theme doesn't become the default theme."  As you can see, the Bulbasaurs were added and it is now the main theme.)

I'll have you know, those Bulbasaurs are a tradition that dates all the way back to the old Glitchcity.net in 2005

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2009-04-29 12:18:03
I've never seen much point in it, but that is mainly because people always corrupted my perfect score.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-04-29 12:41:37
Perfect score?

Date: 2009-04-29 14:16:31
Post count re-enables by itself when Karma is reactivated so I deactivated it; that annoyed me too.

I already knew those Bulbasaurs were from the 2005 GCL. You've told me before.

Now that I think of it, Decamarks would be odd to have on the board index.

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-04-29 14:41:43

Perfect score?

Of negative karma.

Date: 2009-04-29 16:34:04

I see it as a pointless popularity thing and I for one don't like the concept of popularity very much.

Since it's called Glitch Power, I've always thought of it being a weird way of showing someone's ability to glitch(+)/unglitch(-) games and not popularity.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-04-29 20:49:25
I'm probably not going to use this feature often. I don't know why. I just know I'm probably not.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-04-29 20:59:34
Well, why not have other glitches on the forums, like MissingNo. (Fossils, Ghost, Pixel), Charizard 'M, and so on. We are a glitch forum after all. And I still don't get this glitch power. (No point explaining to me, I'd still not understand. Curse my disability!)

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2009-04-29 22:26:35
no, I'd have to say having the karma system is pretty stupid. I wish I could just make it to where it doesn't show up on my profile info, and therefore have no need to complain, but no. I'm going to bitch about this.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-04-29 22:53:51

no, I'd have to say having the karma system is pretty stupid. I wish I could just make it to where it doesn't show up on my profile info, and therefore have no need to complain, but no. I'm going to b***h about this.
And THATS why they have karma.