Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

It's not ar-see-us, it's ark-ee-us - Page 3

Re: It's not ar-see-us, it's ark-ee-us

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2009-11-12 19:31:17
It's like the whole Raye-quah-zah or Raye-quay-zah deal.
Or Bon-slee and Bon-sli, which in this case BOTH have been said in the anime.

Posted by: Bluelatios
Date: 2009-11-12 20:00:50
Yeah, saw the trailer. Its Ar-key-us so I am going to start pronouncing it like that from now on. I always go by the anime since its the most accurate.

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2009-11-12 20:06:48
Damn, I liked Ar-see-us better….

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2009-11-12 20:47:43

I always go by the anime since its the most accurate.

[IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/s3kj9h.jpg[/img]
But seriously, this is the dubbed version of the anime we're (presumably) talking about here. The friggin' Pokemon USA dubbed version.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-11-12 21:33:56

Yeah, saw the trailer. Its Ar-key-us so I am going to start pronouncing it like that from now on. I always go by the anime since its the most accurate.

Not exactly. The dubs often contain errors in the translations.

Posted by: Angrysmurf
Date: 2009-11-12 21:40:47

But seriously, this is the dubbed version of the anime we're (presumably) talking about here. The friggin' Pokemon USA dubbed version.

I'm sorry, but I have to note that I lol'ed loudly at that picture.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-11-14 11:20:12

The best way to actually get a full translation would be to have an ACTUAL TRANSLATOR, not some hired guy working for money.

Posted by: some one new
Date: 2010-01-01 17:25:24

I've also heard ar-kay-us (like Po-kay-mon)

I personally use ar-see-us, though.

Not Poke-EE-mon. <<<<—–(I hate that pronunciation) Pokemon doesn't have much dignity as it is.

Posted by: Missingno.7-4468
Date: 2010-01-09 17:01:31
Okay, so this topic led me to look it up.  In Katakana, Arceus' name is , which is Aruseusu, which goes to Arceus(Pronounced Ar-say-us).  So, according to direct translation, it is pronounced "Ar-say-us."  I personally think the other way sounds better, but translation is translation.

Argument over.

Date: 2010-01-09 18:54:34

which goes to Arceus(Pronounced Ar-say-us).

How so?

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2010-01-09 19:59:26

How so?

Japanese Pokemon names use katakana, which is a phonetic alphabet. is the letter which makes it Ar-say-us instead of Ar-kay-us, like the English pseudo-phonetic spelling has misled us to believe. And no, I don't speak Japanese. I just watch lots of anime and have a translator on my iGoogle homepage.

Date: 2010-01-09 23:35:46

How so?

Japanese Pokemon names use katakana, which is a phonetic alphabet. is the letter which makes it Ar-say-us instead of Ar-kay-us, like the English pseudo-phonetic spelling has misled us to believe. And no, I don't speak Japanese. I just watch lots of anime and have a translator on my iGoogle homepage.

1. That's the katakana for "se"
2. We're talking about the pronunciation of Arceus, not Aruseusu

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2010-01-10 00:43:02

How so?

1. Se, s, whatever. It makes an ess sound, not a kuh sound.
2. Seeing as how there is no official pronunciation for Arceus, Aruseusu (Arseus) seems to be the next logical step.

Date: 2010-01-10 01:24:41

How so?

2. Seeing as how there is no official pronunciation for Arceus, Aruseusu (Arseus) seems to be the next logical step.

1. Correct me if I may have forgotten what I learned in school 3 years ago, but I'm pretty sure se is pronounced "seh" and not "say".
2. Maybe not, but the point of the topic is to debate the unofficial pronunciation.

Posted by: Missingno.7-4468
Date: 2010-01-10 15:52:37

How so?

1. Correct me if I may have forgotten what I learned in school 3 years ago, but I'm pretty sure se is pronounced "seh" and not "say".
2. Maybe not, but the point of the topic is to debate the unofficial pronunciation.

1.In Japanese, the e makes the long a sound.  The schwa sound does not exist in Japanese anyway.
2. I just thought I would point out  the Japanese translation.