Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Pokémon Challenge Run Info/Signup Thread - Page 1

Pokémon Challenge Run Info/Signup Thread

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-05-31 15:29:51
[size=5]OFFICIAL RULES:[/size] (exceptions may be made, but must be logged)
1. No items may be bought, with the exception of one Fresh Water.
2. When a Pokémon is knocked out, it is put in a certain box and can not be used until the Pokémon League is beaten.
3. There will be a level cap for every point in the game. If a Pokémon exceeds the level cap, it will be put into the same box as above.
4. Battle style must be set to Set.
5. If all of your Pokémon faint or exceed the level cap, the game must be restarted.
6. If more than 6 Pokémon are in your party, all must be put into the restricted box until six remain.

[size=5]PROGRESS LOGS:[/size]
[size=4]Tombstoner[/size]
Game used: Blue
Team: Nothing
Pokémon in quarantine: 0
Rule exceptions: None
Progress: Not yet begun

[size=4]mortisha[/size]
Game used: Silver
Team:
1: Cyndaquil Lv.11
- Tackle
- Leer
- Smokescreen
Pokémon in quarantine: 1
Hoothoot
Rule exceptions: See this post
Progress: Trying to beat Falkner.

[size=4]Torchickens[/size]
Game used: Yellow
Team: Nothing
Pokémon in quarantine: 0
Rule exceptions: Unknown
Progress: None

THINGS TO DECIDE:
1. More rules
2. A name
3. Which game to start on

ORIGINAL POST:
I recently got a bit of an idea after hearing about "Nuzlocke Runs" of Pokémon games. The rules for these runs are:
1. You may ONLY catch the FIRST Pokemon you encounter in a new area.
2. When a Pokemon is knocked out it is DEAD and you must release it.
I decided that this alone would seem a bit boring, and decided to try to come up with new rules and ask you guys what you think might work. Here are my ideas so far:
2. When a Pokémon is knocked out, it is put in a certain box and can not be used until the Pokémon League is beaten.
3. There will be a level cap for every point in the game. If a Pokémon exceeds the level cap, it will be put into the same box as above.
5. If all of your Pokémon faint or exceed the level cap, the game must be restarted.
6. If more than 6 Pokémon are in your party, all must be put into the restricted box until six remain.
Your ideas? Name ideas?

Re: Rules for a "dare run" (name tentative) of Pokémon

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-05-31 16:53:47

I recently got a bit of an idea after hearing about "Nuzlocke Runs" of Pokémon games. The rules for these runs are:
I decided that this alone would seem a bit boring, and decided to try to come up with new rules and ask you guys what you think might work. Here are my ideas so far:
Your ideas? Name ideas?

That sounds pretty difficult, good luck if you try it! I was going to say perhaps it would be a good idea to ban evasion/ luck based moves like Double Team and Sheer Cold, but then again that adds on to the challenge if your opponent uses them.

Date: 2010-05-31 16:56:22
I was thinking about having a group of us try it on multiple games as a leadup to Black and White's Japan release.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2010-06-02 15:07:41

Your ideas? Name ideas?

Man that sounds difficult. I would try it but I would get rid of some of the rules at the least, cause I wouldnt be able to handle them

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2010-06-02 16:52:58
Here are my rules:
1) As soon as possible, you receive a max IV, EV, level 1 Dunsparce, hacked to have your trainer ID (important).
2) You can catch no pokemon (besides red gyarados, etc) and only use these "event" ones for HM slaves.  Note that you can catch a pokemon from the pokewalker.

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2010-06-02 17:30:08

Here are my rules:
1) As soon as possible, you receive a max IV, EV, level 1 Dunsparce, hacked to have your trainer ID (important).
2) You can catch no pokemon (besides red gyarados, etc) and only use these "event" ones for HM slaves.  Note that you can catch a pokemon from the pokewalker.

Also make one of the rules being you can't send Dunsparce into the PokeWalker.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2010-06-02 18:00:56
1. You must catch only the first Pokémon you encounter.
2. When your Pokémon is (are) KOed, the game ends.
3. No non-key items may be used except for one Poké Ball.  Any non-key items given to you by an NPC must immediately be disposed of.
4. Your Pokémon's level(s) may not exceed that of the lowest-leveled trained Pokémon in the area; otherwise, the game ends.
5. Battle style must be set to Set.
6. You must run away from all Event Pokémon.

Date: 2010-06-02 19:15:42

1. You must catch only the first Pokémon you encounter.
By not including it in my rules and after showing the Nuzlocke rules, I meant that I didn't want that rule.
2. When your Pokémon is (are) KOed, the game ends.
Have it.
3. No non-key items may be used except for one Poké Ball.  Any non-key items given to you by an NPC must immediately be disposed of.
I kind of wanted to have a limit in the form of no buying items, rather than a disallowance of them. Also, might this contradict your first rule if the ball fails?
4. Your Pokémon's level(s) may not exceed that of the lowest-leveled trained Pokémon in the area; otherwise, the game ends.
I was thinking making separate level caps based on multiple factors. This could be how I do it, though.
5. Battle style must be set to Set.
Have it.
6. You must run away from all Event Pokémon.
I was more thinking that you would only be able to use balls that were picked up.

Appreciated though, as I may use your idea for the level cap. Also, a new rule:
7. No item cloning glitches may be used (Pokémon ones can, but remember the 6-Pokémon limit and the fact it can't be done in RBY, RS, and DPPt.)
Also, does anybody want to join? I really didn't mean to do this alone.
EDIT: "No item cloning glitches may not be used," it used to say.

Posted by: Destinatus
Date: 2010-06-02 20:03:56
Oh, and here's something that'll spice things up!

You are unable to heal at ANY Pokemon Center until you either:

A) Beat a Gym Leader or an Evil Team Leader.
B) Beat the E4
Or C) Obtain a Pokemon through an in-game trade. No trades with ANYONE on Wi-Fi! Or on DS Wireless.

Date: 2010-06-02 20:10:45

Oh, and here's something that'll spice things up!

You are unable to heal at ANY Pokemon Center until you either:

A) Beat a Gym Leader or an Evil Team Leader.
B) Beat the E4
Or C) Obtain a Pokemon through an in-game trade. No trades with ANYONE on Wi-Fi! Or on DS Wireless.
With no items and no losing allowed, I think the above A and B would be absurd.
As for C, I'm not planning to waste cartridges on this.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2010-06-02 21:57:20

Here are my rules:

Why, to prevent easy leveling?

Date: 2010-06-02 22:03:57

Here are my rules:

Bingo.

Date: 2010-06-03 11:59:55

Here are my rules:

Bingo.
Again, I'm not going to waste any cartridges. This should be done on emulators, so that no save files are deleted, and so that it can be recorded by whoever wants to.

Date: 2010-06-03 17:36:11

Here are my rules:

Bingo.
Again, I'm not going to waste any cartridges. This should be done on emulators, so that no save files are deleted, and so that it can be recorded by whoever wants to.

Emulators are the best way to do a dare run, IMO.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2010-06-07 06:29:24
Hmm I actually might try this over the summer, but definitely change some of the rules for my own sake :P