Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Pokémon Challenge Run Info/Signup Thread - Page 2

Re: Rules for a "dare run" (name tentative) of Pokémon

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-06-10 11:48:11
My idea is to use a set of rules that everybody interested agrees on. Which ones would you change?

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2010-06-10 11:50:11

My idea is to use a set of rules that everybody interested agrees on. Which ones would you change?

1. You may ONLY catch the FIRST Pokemon you encounter in a new area.
2. When a Pokémon is knocked out, it is put in a certain box and can not be used until the Pokémon League is beaten.
3. There will be a level cap for every point in the game. If a Pokémon exceeds the level cap, it will be put into the same box as above.
6. If more than 6 Pokémon are in your party, all must be put into the restricted box until six remain.

I pretty much agree with all of this but it can be changed/adjusted I mean I'll probably change some of it or add things :P Thats my main idea for it

Date: 2010-06-10 12:08:38
I never wrote the rule 1 you copied. Also, what exactly would you change about them?

Date: 2010-06-10 12:20:32

I never wrote the rule 1 you copied. Also, what exactly would you change about them?

Really? Oh weird. Well I wouldnt change anything about those rules, but I would probably add more rules as i go

Date: 2010-06-10 12:21:24
OK. Sounds good. I'll make a list on the first post of those participating.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2010-06-10 14:43:48
Hmm….I might do this, if I can control the frustration that will build up inside me.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-06-10 14:58:53

Can I join too please? I'll use my Pokémon Yellow cartridge, because my save file got corrupted a few months back. When exactly do we start the run, or can we start it whenever?

Date: 2010-06-10 18:54:14

Can I join too please? I'll use my Pokémon Yellow cartridge, because my save file got corrupted a few months back. When exactly do we start the run, or can we start it whenever?

I'm going to run it on my blue version (which I already started, but I'm not even that far into the game. I'm at Viridian Forest)
But IF I can find my itouch I'll start a new game on one of my ROMs… I have started LeafGreen, like LITERALLY just started it. :P

EDIT:

2. When a Pokémon is knocked out, it is put in a certain box and can not be used until the Pokémon League is beaten.
3. There will be a level cap for every point in the game. If a Pokémon exceeds the level cap, it will be put into the same box as above.

Exception (well my idea) for rule #2: Your starter is the only one exempt from this rule
And for #3 depending on the level cap, I might not follow/use that rule for myself XD Depends. I probably will though

Date: 2010-06-28 10:21:51
I'll add you to the list, Torchickens.
The level cap is actually perhaps the most important rule, as it prevents powerleveling, the one way around all of the other rules and the difficulty.
Also, what about this: each member can make their own minor changes to the rules, but these will be noted in their play logs (I had been planning to do something like that since the beginning.) Something like:
Username:
Game used:
Team (including moves):
Pokémon in quarantine (just species names, and a total):
Rule exceptions:
Progress (latest town/route visited, complete?):
I was also thinking we could upload our completed save states for others to see.

Date: 2010-06-28 11:03:19

I'll add you to the list, Torchickens.
The level cap is actually perhaps the most important rule, as it prevents powerleveling, the one way around all of the other rules and the difficulty.
Also, what about this: each member can make their own minor changes to the rules, but these will be noted in their play logs (I had been planning to do something like that since the beginning.) Something like:
Username:
Game used:
Team (including moves):
Pokémon in quarantine (just species names, and a total):
Rule exceptions:
Progress (latest town/route visited, complete?):
I was also thinking we could upload our completed save states for others to see.

Hey Tombstoner, I was thinking of doing this run with a friend (for Crystal/Gold/Silver) and I actually have some rules of my own, and if you like them you can use them. They're pretty similar.

1. You may only catch the 1st pokemon you encounter in a new area.
2. When a pokemon is KO'd it is put in a certain box that cannot be accessed until the Elite Four is beaten. (Excludes your starter)
3. There will be a level cap for every town in the game. If a pokemon (excluding starter) exceeds it, it is put into the box above.
4. If you have more than 6 pokemon in your party, then the extras must be put into the restricted box until 6 (or however many you want) remain.
5. The only items you can buy are Potions and Pokeballs. All other non-key items must be tossed.
6. If you fail to catch the first pokemon from an area, you have missed out on your chance to get a pokemon from that area.
7. If a town contains a gift pokemon (Ex. Eevee) you may treat that as your captured pokemon for the area.
8.No trading pokemon between games/Gameshark useage
9. No legendaries
10. You cant get pokemon from the game corner
11. No trading pokemon with in game trainers

*Level Caps*
Cherrygrove City None
Violet City Level 10
Azaela Town Level 15
Goldenrod City Level 20
Olivine, Cianwood, and Mahogany, Level 35
Blackthorn City Level 40
E4 and on, No limit

Kanto rules
1. No level cap
2. Rules lifted during fight against Red. Afterwards all unused items are tossed
3.You now can catch the first 2 pokemon you encounter in an area.
4.You cannot catch Snorlax.

(To determine the winner) we will enter the Trainer House in Vermillion City. (On a said date) We will take turns to one by one defeat Cal, the NPC. Cal is ideal because he has all of the starters at Level 50. Whoever defeats Cal the fastest AND managed to beat the entire Pokemon League and Red in Mt. Silver is determined the winner. In the event of a draw, we do the same thing, but for the Elite Four

So you basically could do a solo run with your starter if you wanted but yeah. I already started testing this in Silver :P I'm actually at the first gym so its not too bad.
And I'm using a ROM but its on my itouch and its complicated to try to upload it so yeah XD I can put up pictures probably though

Username: mortisha
Game used: Silver
Team (including moves): Cyndaquil lv 11, Tackle, Leer, Smokescreen
Pokémon in quarantine (just species names, and a total): Hoothoot from Rt 29, Level 3 I believe
Rule exceptions: See above
Progress (latest town/route visited, complete?): I'm trying to beat Falkner.

I think I'll just use my rules and if you wanna use them, just tell me :P I'll log it I suppose.

Re: Pokémon Challenge Run Info/Signup Thread

Date: 2010-06-28 20:13:02
Sure. I'll update the first post.

Date: 2010-07-02 14:57:26
I've made a start now; I'm using all of the original rules, with the addition of no cloning/ditto trick but since Yellow is a Generation I game I've had to think a little about what level caps to use.

Here is my progress at the moment:
* 1 badge(s)
* 2 Pokémon:
1)Pikachu: Level 13, moves: Thundershock, Quick Attack, Tail Whip, Thunderwave
2)Pidgey: Level 15, moves: Gust, Sand-Attack, Quick Attack

* On the way to Mt. Moon.
* Pokémon in quarantine - none.

I'll be using level caps based on the number of badges recieved, are these fair?

1) Before first badge:  Level 16 (Mankey is found later in Yellow)
2) Before second badge:  Level 20
3) Before third badge: Level 28
4) Before fourth badge: Level 35
5) Before fifth badge: Level 49
6) Before sixth badge: Level 54
7) Before seventh badge: Level 60
8) Before eighth badge: Level 65
9) Before beating the Pokémon League: Level 75
10) Post Pokémon League: Level 100

I think I'll also make a track of which Pokémon were first encountered in each area

Route 1: a Pidgey - Caught: No (defeated before obtaining Pokéballs)
Route 22: a Spearow - Caught: No (defeated by a critical hit :/)
Route 2: a Pidgey - Caught: Yes
Viridian Forest: a Pidgey- Caught: No (wanted a Metapod badly for Butterfree's Sleep Powder, damn.)
Route 3: a Spearow - Caught: No

Date: 2010-07-02 15:38:56
I think those level caps are a bit high. The idea is to use multiple Pokémon and take advantage of what you can, with low level caps. I agree with 16 for Brock, though.

Date: 2010-07-02 15:54:25

I think those level caps are a bit high. The idea is to use multiple Pokémon and take advantage of what you can, with low level caps. I agree with 16 for Brock, though.

Ah, ok. Maybe these? I agree that some of them were really high. Before the third badge for instance; you could easily get a Diglett and train it just a little to beat Lt. Surge.

1) Before first badge:  Level 15 (Mankey is found later in Yellow)
2) Before second badge:  Level 19
3) Before third badge: Level 21
4) Before fourth badge: Level 28
5) Before fifth badge: Level 36
6) Before sixth badge: Level 45
7) Before seventh badge: Level 54
8) Before eighth badge: Level 56
9) Before beating the Pokémon League: Level 64

Posted by: krutomisi
Date: 2010-07-13 11:28:14
I think I'll take part in this too –

game wise, I'm thinking of going with a gba hack to mix things up

not sure which one though  [img]http://forums.glitchcity.info/Smileys/classic/tongue.gif[/img]