Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Revision differences in Pokémon games - Page 1

Revision differences in Pokémon games

Posted by: iwasaperson
Date: 2014-04-20 12:16:46
I'm getting a Green version in the mail. How do I tell if it's 1.0 or 1.1?

Edit by Torchickens: I changed the title of your thread. I hope you don't mind.

Re: Pocket Monsters Midori version.

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-04-20 17:49:32
According to Bulbapedia, the only changes made between v1.0 and v1.1 were some minor changes with signs. They didn't change the Lavender Town music.

Shouldn't this be in Pokémon discussion?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-04-20 18:13:46
There may be a difference on the cartridge somewhere, but then there might not be. I've heard that Game Boy Tetris' "1.0 version" (which featured a different A-Type tune) has a "23" stamped on the cartridge.

I'll move it to Pokémon discussion.

There is a misconception that the dokokashira door glitch only works in v1.0, however, it actually works in both v1.0 and v1.1 (aka rev A) as well as Japanese Blue. I haven't noticed any differences with other select button glitches. The Lavender Town music ever being different is false.

I haven't heard about the sign differences before, that sounds interesting if it's true.

Edit: Perhaps you were looking at this? That refers to a fake video where 'POKE' was replaced with its katakana, '' and 'SHOP' was replaced with '' (Mart); those can't be seen in either v1.0 or v1.1.

Edit 2: iwasaperson, you reminded me that the name of glitch item $BB actually differs between Japanese Yellow (Pocket Monsters Pikachu's v1.0 and v1.1/v1.2 versions), so I wonder if there are unintended differences in glitch behaviour between Red/Green v1.0 and v1.1 after all.

Date: 2014-04-20 19:03:58

There may be a difference on the cartridge somewhere, but then there might not be. I've heard that Game Boy Tetris' "1.0 version" (which featured a different A-Type tune) has a "23" stamped on the cartridge.

There is a misconception that the dokokashira door glitch only works in v1.0, however, it actually works in both v1.0 and v1.1 (aka rev A) as well as Japanese Blue. I haven't noticed any differences with other select button glitches. The Lavender Town music ever being different is false.

I haven't heard about the sign differences before, that sounds interesting if it's true.

Edit: Perhaps you were looking at this? That refers to a fake video where 'POKE' was replaced with its katakana, '' and 'SHOP' was replaced with '' (Mart); those can't be seen in either v1.0 or v1.1.

Edit 2: iwasaperson, you reminded me that the name of glitch item $BB actually differs between Japanese Yellow (Pocket Monsters Pikachu's v1.0 and v1.1/v1.2 versions), so I wonder if there are unintended differences in glitch behaviour between Red/Green v1.0 and v1.1 after all.

I played around with the 1.1 ROM and the 1.0 ROM, and dokokashira seems to have less of an impact on 1.1, even though it works. Examples being a lack of graphical and audio glitches. Door warping still works though.

EDIT: This could just be a coincidence though, as I only tested it once.

EDIT: I've never noticed that in the video, although the GameBoy wouldn't be able to produce those sounds AFAIK, so it seems obvious that it's fake.

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-04-20 19:46:07

I played around with the 1.1 ROM and the 1.0 ROM, and dokokashira seems to have less of an impact on 1.1, even though it works. Examples being a lack of graphical and audio glitches. Door warping still works though.

EDIT: I've never noticed that in the video, although the GameBoy wouldn't be able to produce those sounds AFAIK, so it seems obvious that it's fake.

Whenever people reference that video, I like to refer to this video.  It's someone's attempt at recreating that other video in-game, including binary data (which I tried to load but couldn't, but could definitely partially load). 

Date: 2014-04-20 20:09:29

Whenever people reference that video, I like to refer to this video.  It's someone's attempt at recreating that other video in-game, including binary data (which I tried to load but couldn't, but could definitely partially load).

That was a good laugh for the day.

Also, according to the second post in this thread,: http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/3273/ If the cart only has numbers, it's a 1.0 cart. Not exactly sure what he means by that though.

Re: Revision differences in Pokémon games

Date: 2014-05-05 17:57:42
I found this interesting page. That site is excellent, it seems to be still active, maybe we should be affiliates.

Apparently, there is indeed a number (one of these: 00A, 11A, 20A, 22A, 1M) marked on the Game Pak of a late (v1.1) version of Midori. The early version (v1.0) apparently has 00 or 20, and that fits with the "only has numbers" description on that Skeetendo thread.

Table of version imprints, thanks to Legendary Star Blob:

[img]http://i.minus.com/jEViH4cMrZjM0.png[/img]

My suspicion about unintended differences in glitch behavior between v1.0 and v1.1 was correct. Certain glitch items have different behaviour between versions, such as Gold Badge (hex: 6A) only opening up a PokéMart on v1.0.

That site implies that there are only two versions of Pocket Monsters Pikachu, but Datomatic lists four:

Pocket Monsters - Pikachu (Japan) (Rev D) (SGB Enhanced)
Pocket Monsters - Pikachu (Japan) (Rev 0A) (SGB Enhanced)
Pocket Monsters - Pikachu (Japan) (Rev B) (SGB Enhanced)
Pocket Monsters - Pikachu (Japan) (Rev C) (SGB Enhanced)

All have different MD5 hashes, implying they are unique revisions, but I don't know, its possible that at least one of them is a bad dump.

Edit: Well the Yellow marks for 'late edition' have the letters A-D in them, so those may identify what version they are, in theory.

Posted by: Stilgar
Date: 2014-05-06 08:00:31
Ah, I encountered the 6A hex glitch in the translated Green version I remember (but the item was called "Mountain Man"), so it is probably a translated 1.0 version. It's nice to know that the glitch was already known in Japan.
Anyway, the website is extremely interesting indeed, but since I don't know Japanese I have to use a translator and the original meaning of the sentences is so butchered that I can't really understand what they say, but by looking at the picture it seems that there are some things I've never seen before, for example this:

http://hakuda2.web.fc2.com/wario/poke3/r2.html

I already know that you can swap the badges in the list of the Cerulean City badge guy, but somehow it seems that something causes the player to warp in a different colored Rocket Hideout and come out of the robbed Cerulean House? Maybe someone who understands Japanese can explain that better, hehe.

Date: 2014-05-06 08:58:46
Ooh, interesting.

The webmaster certainly knows a lot of glitches and oddities. Earlier I had a look through the poke1 and poke2 directories and found many pages about glitches. They even acknowledge the Celebi glitch, which was documented on our boards, but that's probably not too surprising because it is one of the two only known glitches that lets you get Celebi, and the only one that works in the Japanese versions (due to the Coin Case bug not occurring in those versions).

They have their own Niconico account with an 11 part 151 catch 'em all run that tries to use many glitches, including those that aren't needed. I'll have to watch all of it soon and pick out the glitches I don't recognize.

Date: 2015-02-18 19:25:05
I thought that I would bump this thread and post something I found out about a relatively long time ago but never mentioned here. Somebody asked me about Red/Green revision differences on Twitter a few hours ago so it encouraged me to update the thread.

In Red/Green v1.0 you are able to perform a select glitch by pressing Select on an item within battle, exiting with B then opening Pokémon and pressing A on a Pokémon. In Red/Green v1.1 this was patched; exiting the item menu from within battle always resets CC35 (have Select on a cursor position determined by value unless value is 00) to 00. This may save a little time for speedrunning.

However, you can still do a select glitch in v1.1 (and Japanese Blue) by pressing Select on an item outside of battle, exiting with B,B (or B x3 if you are on the PC items list) and then entering a battle and selecting Pokémon or bringing up the Pokémon menu via the Day Care man, or the Name Rater.

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2015-02-18 20:08:23
Following the Dokokashira door glitch, there are very poorly documented renditions of it, like items to attacks, or pokemon to attacks (haven't tested).

Date: 2015-02-18 21:25:01

Following the Dokokashira door glitch, there are very poorly documented renditions of it, like items to attacks, or pokemon to attacks (haven't tested).

Yes. I forgot to mention you can do that. You are swapping moves past slot 4 that correspond with where the cursor position was. Consider that moves 1-4 for Pokémon 1 are addresses D133-D136 and the PPs 1-4 are D148-D14B. This means that move 5 reads the Pokémon's Trainer ID byte 1 (D137) and its level (D14C).

In the skip to level 100 glitch you have to swap move 7 (D139, D14E) with any move with an identifier greater than a certain value:

[quote="My Youtube video description"]
Medium-Slow: Attack ID is 17 (hex:11) or 16 (hex:10) if the second and third experience bytes are 2Ch, 14h, respectively, or higher. Example: Wing Attack (11h).
Medium-Fast: Attack ID is 16 (hex:10) or 15 (hex:0F) if the second and third experience bytes are 42h, 40h, respectively, or higher. Example: Gust (10h).
Fast: Attack ID is 13 (hex:0D) or 12 (hex:0C) if the second and third experience bytes are 35h, 00h, respectively, or higher. Example: Tackle (21h)
Slow: Attack ID is 14 (hex: 0E) or 13 (hex:0D) if the second and third experience bytes are 12h, D0h, respectively, or higher. Example: Tackle (21h).

Notice that D139 (what the game interprets as move 7) is the first Pokémon's current experience byte 1.

Item>Move corruption lets you make much more precise corruptions considering that a Pokémon's data structure is far more than just two bytes (move ID and move PP).

Date: 2016-05-13 14:07:49

That's really interesting. Nice find! :)

I was curious as to whether this differs between Japanese Yellow v1.0, "Rev A", "Rev B" and "Rev 3". I tried it out on all four of those versions and all of them didn't play the cry.

Thanks! :) I suppose each subsequent revision fixed bugs or tweaked minor things but I haven't looked it up yet.

I decided to dump the comparisons! Although I haven't analyzed them, and there are many more changes (possibly indirect changes, locations of routines) compared to Crystal v1.0 and v1.1 https://sites.google.com/site/torchickens2/pokemon-file-comparions

It appears that rev 3 may indeed be a real fourth revision, which comes after Rev B.

Version number:
0000014C: 02 03
; version $02>version $03

(Difference between Rev B and Rev 3)

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-05-13 15:03:11
Thank you, Torchickens! :)

Date: 2016-05-13 15:21:25
You're welcome. :)