Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Revision differences in Pokémon games - Page 3

Re: Revision differences in Pokémon games

Posted by: hpoké_coloradohugge
Date: 2018-05-28 08:55:50
In a way i'm kind of glad we used different versions in this scenario. Cause it emphasized that there may be clear differences in some revisions and it helps to know in the future for refrence that you can never be too thorough.

And It was nice to find out that there exists two complete different Glitch pokémon in different revisions of the same game.

I mean, i'm not at all surprised that it did. Tecnically all versions of red/green/blue/yellow and all international translated release are revisions of the original v.1.0 red/green at it's core; so it's not that strange to find small differences even between small revisional versions of same games, such as Japanese Yellow v1.0 & v1.1+ like in this example. =)

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2018-06-01 06:11:33
Something that's not mentioned yet: Pokemon Stadium (the first international one) has three revisions, at least that No-Intro knows of, and at least in the USA.

It's known that one of these revisions changes Jynx's skin colour to purple, but then what does the other one do?

I'm thinking of making a master post of every single Pokemon game that has regional and revisional variants (figuring out what the differences might be later), although that might require defining what counts as a Pokemon game. Anything released in stores that has the name Pokemon/Pocket Monster/Pikachu in it should do for starters.

Posted by: Crystalame
Date: 2018-06-01 14:45:19
@Zowayix

I might know what at least a couple of the changes are, but sadly I don't know which revs they are.

When I played Stadium on console, I remember one of the Announcer's quotes being "Taken down on the word go!" when immediately knocking out a freshly sent-out Pokemon in one hit. He has another similar quote to this, but not the same one.

However, when I played it on emulator a few years later, his quotes weren't the same. The above wasn't in the game, and instead I heard a new quote: "It's a head-on collision; power versus power."

This has baffled me for years and I don't understand why his quotes are different. Also, these were all NTSC and not PAL.

EDIT: Here's my original post on it: https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=7352.msg199020#msg199020

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2018-06-01 15:47:46

@Zowayix

I might know what at least a couple of the changes are, but sadly I don't know which revs they are.

When I played Stadium on console, I remember one of the Announcer's quotes being "Taken down on the word go!" when immediately knocking out a freshly sent-out Pokemon in one hit. He has another similar quote to this, but not the same one.

However, when I played it on emulator a few years later, his quotes weren't the same. The above wasn't in the game, and instead I heard a new quote: "It's a head-on collision; power versus power."

This has baffled me for years and I don't understand why his quotes are different. Also, these were all NTSC and not PAL.

EDIT: Here's my original post on it: https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=7352.msg199020#msg199020

Thought I might add that I've heard both quotes in the game before

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2018-06-01 18:50:16
I remember "Taken down on the word go!" fondly from my childhood but not "It's a head-on collision". Presumably the Australian release is the Europe/UK ROM (the other PAL releases are for individual European countries with non-English languages: France/Italy/Germany/etc.)

Only the former seems to have survived in Pokemon Stadium 2 later on…

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-04-24 10:11:47
There is something about the four Japanese Yellow revisions in relation to some code and/or data before F8000 (bank 0x3E), which was removed in the rev 3 release. What is this data?

https://imgur.com/a/64ycCWu

Edit: I looked into some of it, most at least is definitely used but may have been moved around the ROM. Most functions on the Yellow Disassembly are labelled. There are some interesting unused details in the later banks, such as deleted walking Pikachu functions (i.e. there is this one 3F:4FFB DeletedFunction_fcffb and 3F:5AD5 DummyFunction_fdad5. Unfortunately the former is all nops and the latter is a single ret). I remember IIMarckus posted about walking Pikachu mechanics when I made a thread loosely related to it a long time ago..