Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Revision differences in Pokémon games - Page 2

Re: Revision differences in Pokémon games

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-12-23 19:11:41
I bought my second Japanese Red and Green cartridges and frustratingly they are two v1.1 even though the stock photos looked like v1.0s. :( No Gold Badge glitch for me.

Anyway, we now have another detail to add to this thread. Háčky posted about a mysterious error message only appearing in v1.0, and it will appear in v1.0: "ぶ/ての てま!できって なてくだ" when linking with a player when either player has the hex:60 (bold A) character beginning in their name.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-12-23 19:47:32

I bought my second Japanese Red and Green cartridges and frustratingly they are two v1.1 even though the stock photos looked like v1.0s. :( No Gold Badge glitch for me.

How can you tell the cartridges apart?  :P

Date: 2016-12-23 20:01:54

How can you tell the cartridges apart?  :P

Like a few other games such as Tetris, certain Japanese Pokémon cartridges have special imprints. This table tells you which imprints correspond with which version, with the data mainly sourced from here.

If you don't know the imprint however, the easiest way to test whether you have a v1.0 or a v1.1 is to press Select on the items menu from within battle, close the menu with B, open the Pokémon menu and test whether you are able to press A to swap a Pokémon. If you are unable to do this (and have to do press Select on an item from outside of battle first) to perform a Select glitch, you have v1.1 (plus in v1.0 the 'only within battle' activated Select glitch allows you to do a partial switch glitch).

Another way to test which revision you have is to use the GameShark code 016AA2D2 to hack a Gold Badge into the items pack (or obtain one using a glitch, hex:6A may not be a valid character for make your own items glitch but you may be able to get it via the expanded items pack on Cycling Road, item mutating a Lift Key, or via the Yami Shop glitch) and if it brings up a glitch Poké Mart you have v1.0. If no glitch Poké Mart appears you have 1.1.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-12-23 20:07:38

Like a few other games such as Tetris, certain Japanese Pokémon cartridges have special imprints. This table tells you which imprints correspond with which version, with the data mainly sourced from here.

If you don't know the imprint however, the easiest way to test whether you have a v1.0 or a v1.1 is to press Select on the items menu from within battle, close the menu with B, open the Pokémon menu and test whether you are able to press A to swap a Pokémon. If you are unable to do this (and have to do press Select on an item from outside of battle first) to perform a Select glitch, you have v1.1 (plus in v1.0 the 'only within battle' activated Select glitch allows you to do a partial switch glitch).

Another way to test which revision you have is to use the GameShark code 016AA2D2 to hack a Gold Badge into the items pack (or obtain one using a glitch, hex:6A may not be a valid character for make your own items glitch but you may be able to get it via the expanded items pack on Cycling Road, item mutating a Lift Key, or via the Yami Shop glitch) and if it brings up a glitch Poké Mart you have v1.0. If no glitch Poké Mart appears you have 1.1.

Interesting, thank you for the information! :)

And don't forget the Cable Club message we found out about. In v1.1, it seems to behave like Yellow, which I detailed in the other thread.

Date: 2016-12-23 20:11:02
You're welcome. :)

Mm, yes.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-12-24 03:12:51
A little offtopic. *cough* I just want to *cough* wish you Merry *cough* Christmas *cough*.
*more sickness sounds*

🎄
🎄🎄🎄
🎁🎁🎁
Anyway, back to revision differences.

Date: 2016-12-24 10:44:32
Thank you Charmy! I wish you a Merry Christmas too! :]

Date: 2017-01-10 10:30:46
So apparently via 2chan (http://tamae.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/poke/1477904768/l50) in Japanese Yellow revisions later than v1.0, the item "Gold" ( hex:6F) will give you a stack of Soda Pops, and FalconBadge (はぶ hex:65) executes arbitrary code from the 9th PC item.

Furthermore the names of hex:A2 and hex:B6 differ may between different versions of Japanese Yellow.

There is also away to execute code from box 19 apparently in a forest map (Viridian Forest?) apparently. This may be referring to invalid map scripts created with the Trainer-Fly glitch (aka walking lag glitch) though I don't know for sure.

Edit: The glitch seems to be this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGo_p_8Wapk

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2017-01-10 10:34:03
It'd be easier to get all the revision differences in relation to glitches if we had ASM files for the US version and the version in question to compare side-by-side…

Date: 2017-01-10 10:44:42

It'd be easier to get all the revision differences in relation to glitches if we had ASM files for the US version and the version in question to compare side-by-side…

Yeah. I have files like that comparing the files byte by byte but I haven't looked into what was changed.

https://sites.google.com/site/torchickens2/pokemon-file-comparions

Posted by: MeseInsanity
Date: 2017-01-10 12:42:44

There is also away to execute code from box 19 apparently in a forest map (Viridian Forest?) apparently. This may be referring to invalid map scripts created with the Trainer-Fly glitch (aka walking lag glitch) though I don't know for sure.

Edit: The glitch seems to be this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGo_p_8Wapk

Hi there, I posted that video.
"Route 6 ACE" is found at 2ch on 2016/03/29(NOT FOUND BY ME).
Someone wondered that "Can I obtain Glitched Item via Trainer-Fly Glitched text box ?", and it works.
http://tamae.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/poke/1389422437/371
http://tamae.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/poke/1389422437/474

After that he found that trick worked on Viridian Forest.
http://tamae.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/poke/1389422437/518

This trick is similar to "Sea Route 21 arbitrary text box" in US Yellow.

I write down this, as you use Viridian Forest method.

Step 0) The 3rd bug catcher (he is added on Yellow Version) should be remain, or you should have ability of "Rival's" Trainer-Fly method.
Step 1) Do the TF on Viridian Forest.
Step 2) Save with box change, and reset.
Step 3) Talk to Pewter Gym guy, and rend to Pewter Gym.
Step 4) Enter Pewter Gym, and exit. (This is not required but recommend for bug catcher method, because without this step, bug catcher will not spot you.)
Step 5) Enter any house, see the town map, and exit.
Step 6) Enter Viridian Forest. Text box appears, text pointer jump to $DED0 (19th storage pokemon's nickname), and execute.

To use this ACE trick, you should check two things.
#1: Your text code must be started with ""(Hex:08). This is text command of "execute code after that".
#2: At the time of "ret", (HL) must point address that value of Hex:50 because $(HL) will be next command.

If you do it on Route 6, in the Step 5), you see "a catalog of TMs" on Celadon Mansion, and jump to $DEB8.

Sorry for bad English, my skill sucks =(

Date: 2017-01-10 14:11:12
Hi there MeseInsanity, welcome to the forums.  :)

Ah, so it was somebody else who found it. That's interesting, thanks for the links and method.

I will try this method soon.

Sorry for bad English, my skill sucks =(

Don't worry, your English is good!

なのはで ^_^

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2017-01-11 01:38:14

Yeah. I have files like that comparing the files byte by byte but I haven't looked into what was changed.

These are the changes between Crystal 1.0 and 1.1. (Most of the byte differences are just noise from data shifts causing pointers to change.)

Well, the first step to doing that is disassembling the Japanese versions. That work has barely started, but were always looking for more contributors

Date: 2017-01-11 05:48:21
Thanks for this IIMarckus :). I was aware of the corrupt tilemap and new Pokédex status variable but didn't know there was a bug in the Battle Tower texts, interesting.

Date: 2018-05-27 17:39:08
So after coloradohugge and I went through all of the Japanese Yellow glitch Pokémon it seems he was using v1.1, v1.2 or v1.3 while I was adding the sprites from v1.0 and I noticed they didn't match the sprite on coloradohugge's Pokédex entry for glitch Pokémon 0xD9.

Surprisingly we discovered it seems glitch Pokémon 0xD9 is a Nidoking hybrid in v1.0 and a Wigglytuff hybrid in v1.1+, explaining the different sprites (and presumably starting moves and other things in the base structure) which is now split into two articles as well as a disambiguation page for GlitchDexJP/Y:217.

v1.0
v1.1+

So not only may glitch item data be different between the Japanese Yellow revisions, but possibly various glitch Pokémon data as well, which is why now we must be careful and confirm all (or at least v1.0 and v1.1) versions when adding the extra data as tedious as that sounds.