Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

A probably-answered question... - Page 1

A probably-answered question...

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-09-15 14:06:06
'M, when caught twice in the same fight, becomes a Ditto. What explanation is there for this? I've never known…It IS mysterious…

Re: A probably-answered question...

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2007-09-16 16:58:35
I don't get that either…Isn't Ditto the last non-glitch Pokemon programmed into the game, though? Maybe that has something to do with it…

Posted by: boxman
Date: 2007-09-16 17:02:58

I don't get that either…Isn't Ditto the last non-glitch Pokemon programmed into the game, though? Maybe that has something to do with it…

Maybe, when you catch 'M the game "scrolls up" and searches for another Pokemon, but 'M is the very first so, it goes to the next thing that isn't a trainer. This would be a glitch. However just like how some glitches revert to Rhydon when caught, that glitch reverts to ditto when caught.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-09-16 17:07:21

Maybe, when you catch 'M the game "scrolls up" and searches for another Pokemon, but 'M is the very first so, it goes to the next thing that isn't a trainer. This would be a glitch. However just like how some glitches revert to Rhydon when caught, that glitch reverts to ditto when caught.

I think it is because it counts as a transformed pokemon, and all transform pokemon revert to ditto when caught. (I was very dissapointed when I caught that mew)
Because it is 00, maybe it fools the game to make it think that it is still there, and when it is still there, it thinks it is a ditto.

Date: 2007-09-16 17:19:56
So since it's 00, technically it doesn't exist, so technically it can't be registered as caught since it shouldn't exist?

(I was very dissapointed when I caught that mew)

What do you mean? You caught a Mew that became a Ditto? O_o

Date: 2007-09-16 17:23:55
Yeah…and yeah
With the Mew the game froze when I looked at it's stats. But only the second time. all the rest it was just a normal Ditto.

Date: 2007-09-16 17:29:31
Were you using an encounter code, or was this during the Mew Glitch?

Date: 2007-09-16 17:32:13
I managed to get a level 21 (I think) With the Ditto Trick, which had Transform.
Or something like that.

Date: 2007-09-16 17:35:47
Level 21 or Level 12? 12 is possible, 21 is not, and Mew learns Transform at Level 10.

I think I've heard of something similar. Have a Spearow use Mirror Move on your Ditto so it transforms into your Ditto, transform into it, repeat a few times, catch Spearow and it will say you have a Ditto.

This is also used for the Shiny Ditto trick.

Date: 2007-09-16 17:37:35
Must have been 12 then. My memory never has been perfect

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-09-16 17:39:17
Anything that transforms in battle is considered a Ditto after the transformation, even if that's not what it really is. So if a Mew transforms in battle and you catch it, congrats, you now have a Ditto. The programmers decided to take the easy way out instead of having a byte that remembers the Pokemon's original species; they figured that no wild Mew would appear in-game, and Ditto is the only other Pokemon that can transform, then they figured that any transformed wild Pokemon would have to be a Ditto.

Where exactly is it said that Ditto was the "last real Pokemon programmed into the game"? If we go by the hex numbers, that would be Victreebel; if we go by the dex numbers it would be Mew (Mew's data is separate from the other Pokemon, so there's a chance it might be true). 00 could be a placeholder hex for a transformed Pokemon, but if that were the case then it'd have to be a Ditto the first time you catch it, not the second time around.

Interesting fact: [name=Y:000] acts like this too. So it's something to do with the hex 00, not [name=RB:000] specifically.

Date: 2007-09-16 17:42:17
Oh, I get it. That maese sense. Mew was never supposed to be found wild, so if a Pokemon transforms, it has to be a Ditto according to the game :P

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-09-16 17:51:09
So in other words 'M transformed into invisible 'M?

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2007-09-16 17:57:40
Probably the reason why it goes into a Ditto is because Ditto has the data of the pokemon therefore allowing it t transform with the  5pp thing, and when you cath M/MissingNo. twice it goes to Ditto since it is the last non-glitch Pokemon and it has the Data hence being able to transform into M/MissingNo when using ditto in a battle with M/MissingNo., there is my post of a miracle that just happened 2 mintues ago and now I'm interested in glitches like never before.

Date: 2007-09-16 18:21:16
Haha, welcome to gang, my friend