Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

246 Missingno! - Page 3

Re: 246 Missingno!

Posted by: boxman
Date: 2007-02-13 22:52:33
Sorry I didn't catch on earlier but I found the 00 39 pattern , when I ran into a wild missingno. I guess missingno. can be harmful…

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-02-13 23:03:58
However, whatever corrupted rby4ever's savefile was not the 00 39 sequence - both Pichu's original save and the corrupted one have the same amount of 00 39 (5104 bytes).

Edit: Attached is a diff report of the two files, for comparison (the original on the left, the corrupted on the right)

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-02-14 08:56:31
The data of a MissingNo. is quite random and any data if put in in the right order could be dangerous to the file.

The 00 39 data may be the data trying to sort itself out. MissingNo. is potentially dangerous and the Japanese doesn't have any of this data, and it does in fact crash, delete save files and is not at all safe.

Anyway looking at the diff report (how do you have enough time to make these Abwayax) the data has got a large amount of variation. that variation could have come from anything.

Posted by: rby4ever
Date: 2007-02-14 22:48:45
Windiff is a magical program I wish I would have thought to have used sooner. You just give it two files, and it will give you the differences between them. The HTML dump is just plain smexy.

the Japanese doesn't have any of this data

J-Red and J-Green don't, but J-Blue does. It seems to work the same way there as it does on English carts.

This is infuriating… I have reset the game mutliple times using a fresh copy of the file, and I still can't get the same result. I even tried messing around with the MiNo's in the boxes, looking at the stats, depositing, releasing them, running into them with 017FD8CF, saving the game afterwards…. nothing.

I noticed that the A590 row (well, that's what it's called in the emulator anyway) is stuck in the middle of the corruption. I've found that if you change anything in the neighborhood of that number, the game will give a "this game is destroyed!" message, though I doubt that is the sole cause. The data is severely disrupted for hundreds of bytes.

On a side note, the save ram seems to change dramatically once you get to the main screen, even if it's healthy. It even seems to get used to load the Pokemon images that scroll by, which is strange…

On another note… if all it takes for MiNo to corrupt a game is for someone to start their game a few times after an encounter, my real Blue should have been deleted a long time ago.

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2007-02-15 00:52:46
Strange… I'll see what's up, 39 could be the hex of Missingno. that I got.

Edit: Oh wait, did you try seeing Missingno. with other saves?

Edit2: The save ram always changes during the game for me in my Pokemon Red, Blue, even Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal. Also, it always changes to 00 39 with normal Pokemon anyway.

Posted by: m
Date: 2007-02-18 21:57:32
im offering to jointhe scramm squad sense im a glitch resercher im pretty usefull i study glitchs day and night this is the best site yet!