Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Weird beta battle system! - Page 2

Re: Weird beta battle system!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2006-08-22 17:55:12
Yes, what does 03 do in link battles.

And what do you think the hidden message in 03 'hurry get away' was for?

Maybe was for fighting with no pokemon but maybe because nintendo thought it was impossible to do that without cheating they took it out.

Posted by: PokemonPichu
Date: 2006-08-22 18:00:13
03 does the same thing, no "PA: Ding-dong, you ran out of Safari Balls!" message. You run and the game waits, and once Player 2 does something, Player 2 wins.

Maybe in beta version, in the beginning of the game, when you go out of Pallet Town without any Pokemon, the game will do that. Nintendo put in Oak because they decided that a player would be able to beat the game with no Pokemon if they left in the "Hurry, get away!" thing.

I'm gonna go look for a value for a Ghost battle.

Date: 2006-08-22 18:03:36
Oh cool I can't seem to find anymore because they seem identical to FF, good thought maybe turning the codes on and off could result in you catching a ghost.

Date: 2006-08-22 18:15:13
I used Safari Zone code on a ghost. The results are: (I'll post the text messages here)

Ghost appeared!
Darn! The Ghost can't be ID'd!
Ash used Safari Ball!
It dodged the thrown ball!
This Pokemon can't be caught!
Wild Ghost ran!

I looked for a ghost again.

Ghost appeared!
Darn! The Ghost can't be ID'd!
Ash threw a Rock.
Wild Ghost is angry!
Ash threw some Bait.
Wild Ghost is eating.
Wild Ghost ran!

It seems that the game uses another byte for it. I want to find out what the byte is and catch the ghost.

Date: 2006-08-22 18:21:59
I used the Prof. Oak code and my character got turned into Prof. Oak!

Is this how they found out the Old Man trick?

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2006-08-23 06:48:46

03 says hurry get away for every action except run

So maybe 03 is the hex for the Lavender Tower Ghost…

Date: 2006-08-23 07:18:50
The strip of half land finds the last pokemon used for some reason your name counts as a pokemon when your name changes from old man to your name it makes pokemon according to the letters appear on that half land.

And the ghost says get out, get out for every command except run.
The 'hurry, get away' might be the beta message for it.

If we find the byte for the ghost I could change the value for more glitches the mods might of missed out.
:o EDIT: maybe it has to be a gastly, haunter, cubone, or marowak with a certain ID.
It must be to do with 2 bytes one for the picture because when you view a pokemons stats in battle it reveals the mon without a silph scope but still says get out get out.

Date: 2006-08-23 13:52:12
I know that, I'm just asking if they used a Gameshark code to find out the Old Man trick. The game uses the wild Pokemon data as a place to store your name for the Old Man/Prof.Oak Pokemon catch.

I can use the memory editor in the emulator.

Yeah, I want to find those bytes, so I'll use a cheat searcher.

Date: 2006-08-23 18:08:50
Hey what if player 1 and player 2 had the safari battle code on could they attempt to catch ash/missingno.?

Date: 2006-08-23 18:48:09
I don't know, the emulator I use for link battles does not support that. Only Player 1. :(

Date: 2006-08-25 13:02:11
I got around to using the memory editor to find out the ghost's battle code and it's value 00. So there has to be another byte saying if it's a ghost battle or not.

Date: 2006-09-04 17:43:32
What if you searched for codes with values of 00 on ghost appeared and wild pokemon appeared and compared their bytes? Edit: If you used normal battle mode on the ghost would it appear as cubone,marowak,gastly,etc
or 'M because the value for the ghost is 00

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-05-11 19:33:39
I know this topic is really old but I think this should be added to the site because its actually very interesting. What do you think admins?

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-05-13 14:40:11
hey, i just wondered something. how did the ghost get coded in FR/LG ?

and also, what happens with values other than 00-03 ?

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-05-13 18:45:43
I guess test it out and find out.