Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Weird beta battle system! - Page 3

Re: Weird beta battle system!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2009-05-20 10:58:40

hey, i just wondered something. how did the ghost get coded in FR/LG ?

and also, what happens with values other than 00-03 ?

As far as pokemon yellow is concered 04 is the system used for proffessor oak to capture the pikachu at the beginning of the game, the intriguing element to this is professor oak will always have one pokeball and the pokemon you encounter will always have that distinctive 'Pika' cry no matter if you encounter something like a pidgey or a muk. As for 05 and onwards you can never escape and you never send out your pokemon but when you use an item you are forced to use the first i .e a pokeball and if you fail to catch the pokemon it may flee or the system will glitch and show your hp bar as 0/0 but if you manage to catch it you will not see its pokedex entry. I'm not sure if all 05 and onwards are like this but FF seems to be the same system.

And regarding the ghost that is still a mystery, recently I have been testing values such as 0 and 255 or 0 and 1 just to try and find a code which changes the ghost's existence but I have not succeeded yet so will have to try harder. But I believe the FR/LG ghost is similar to the RBY one as the ghost is not actually its own pokemon it is just like a cloak to cover up another pokemon. The name ghost is constant but there is a fairly wide known glitch that if you view your pokemon's status on rby the ghost's picture will change to what the pokemon originally was suppose to be i.e ghost to gastly and ghost to marowak. The ghost is not always the same shade of black/purple as the marowak you encounter is a much lighter shade if it is not identified.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-05-21 15:19:03

hey, i just wondered something. how did the ghost get coded in FR/LG ?

and also, what happens with values other than 00-03 ?

The ghost is not always the same shade of black/purple as the marowak you encounter is a much lighter shade if it is not identified.

I can answer the reason why this happens. Because the Ghost is merely cloaking the Pokemon it also uses the pokemon's color pallete.

Posted by: WeirdEars
Date: 2009-06-02 09:14:52
I tried the 03 code on Pok?mon Red (I know it says it's for yellow, but I wanted to see what happened) and as soon as I put the code in, I was sent straight into a battle with a wild Nidoran (M) level 0. As soon as the battle finished, it started again.

I also have a theory on the origin of the message (Hurry, get away!) and why the trainer doesn't send out a Pok?mon. Perhaps this message was from a beta version of the ghost encounter in the Pok?mon Tower in Lavender Town.

Date: 2009-06-02 10:36:11
You might be right there, or perhaps it was supposed to be enforced when you battle with no pokemon, but scrapped as it would never happen
(if you try to battle with no pokemon you will send out a glitched 'M/3trainerpoke)

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-06-02 11:17:06
Fighting with no Pok?mon was EXACTLY what it was for.

I've just activated the code, used walk through walls, etc. and encountered a normal Pidgey with no TM TRAINER-esque effects and the game was completely fine when I ran.

Also, this mode seems to have a 100% chance of being able to run.

Date: 2009-06-19 05:46:33
It just came to thought maybe the byte for the ghost script is based on the byte which deals with the dialogue just before a battle such as "Wild XXXXX Appeared" or "The Hooked XXXXXX attacked" or "Snorlax attacked" (might be a little different)

This byte could change the Pokemon's name to "GHOST" and give the message "Darn the pokemon can't be ID'd" however it probably does not change the picture, but maybe it is worth the investigation because we could find dialogue which wasn't used in a battle

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-06-19 15:27:03
The Ghost Battle has the normal encounter mode for all wild pokemon.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-06-19 23:24:57
Worth pointing out: the ?Hurry, get away!? exists only in Yellow, not in Red or Blue.

Date: 2009-07-03 04:55:23

Worth pointing out: the ?Hurry, get away!? exists only in Yellow, not in Red or Blue.

Then maybe it was meant because the developers probably thought there was the small coincidence that people could encounter a pokemon in the tall grass without calling Professor Oak's event. I don't think we've found a way to do this but as Gary 'M 9 pointed out after using walk through walls he encountered a pokemon with that battle mode without any side effects.

It is understandable they may do this especially for testing reasons as they need to map out the event e.g. 1) Disable random battles 2) Oak moves into the tall grass next to you 3) Oak moves and you follow 4) Call a random battle with Oak's battle mode 5) Enable random battles

It is likely they may have made a mistake and to keep the game having any 'TM Trainer' effects while testing they may have made this battle mode. They probably expected people would interfere with the event and so made it hard to do so i.e make it impossible to move like the person who takes you to the rock gym leader.