Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

What causes 'M to appear on Cinnabar's East Coast? - Page 1

What causes 'M to appear on Cinnabar's East Coast?

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-02-02 17:46:54
Okay. This has been bugging me for some time now. I understand the rest of the Missingno/Old Man glitch fairly well now. In fact I pretty much have the whole explanation memorized. The only thing I cannot figure out is where 'M comes from.

You see since text is located in different bytes and each one has a different pokemon, item, Decimal number equivalent,  and attack the player's name will determine the pokemon and their level on the east coast of Cinnabar or Seafoam's east coast. However since 'M is located in Hex Slot 00 and should only appear if the game was hacked to put the letter located in the same hex slot as 'M into the player's name there is a major problem because the fact is he doesn't. He appears regardless of what letters are in your name. This makes me wonder what causes him to appear. It has been bugging me for quite a few years now.

If anyone has the answer please come forth so I don't drive myself mad figuring it out myself.

Re: What causes 'M to appear on Cinnabar's East Coast?

Posted by: echinodermata
Date: 2009-02-02 18:41:09
'M arises from the 00's that come after the end of name marker.

Example: N I N T E N [end] [00] [00] [00] [00]
gives level 0 'M.

Date: 2009-02-02 18:43:54
Oh thanks for clearing that up for me. I've been tormented so much by just that. My guess was sort of close to the truth except I thought it had something to do with the start of the name.

Edit: holy shit! I slaughtered the english language in that last sentence so I fixed it.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-02-02 18:52:01
That [end] is why the 'M is level 80.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-02-02 18:58:01
In the original games there were only the original 150 (with exception of Japan, which had 151) there were still about 105 - 104 slots left. And thus, all 105 slots were filled with MissingNo. or 'M.

Date: 2009-02-02 19:24:27
I knew that much Mutou Yami. I said I knew every detail about Missingno. except for the 'M thing. Now it all makes sense to me with that matter out of the way. I guess with my question answered I can lock this topic now. Oh and Motou Yami, I know you are having a hard time finding anything new. I myself found Glitches in pokemon games tiresome. That's why I moved on to other games to find glitches in them. Pokemon games are such a small field for glitching now that almost every programming error and flaw by the programmers has been discovered. I moved on and found glitches in other games. The gaming world is bigger than it looks. Just because glitching in pokemon has pretty much come to a halt doesn't mean that you can't glitch other games.
The Nintendo DS game Yugioh: Nightmare Troubador has a Glitch involving Pegasus. You might check that out as a start and figure out why that happens. Basically it makes Pegasus disappear permanently. (he is an event based character.)

Help contribute to Project Caspar like I've been doing.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-02-02 19:38:46

In the original games there were only the original 150 (with exception of Japan, which had 151) there were still about 105 - 104 slots left. And thus, all 105 slots were filled with MissingNo. or 'M.

Every R/B/Y/G game has mew in it.

Date: 2009-02-02 19:40:25
Haha, I would love to make him vanish. *Shudders* He freaks me out. I do have the game somewhere, but unsure where it is. I had to restart, since I couldn't remember my original deck, that beat everyone, I faught. I faught, everyone, even Yami, and beaten him. ^^ After 5 loses, but I go easy on him. :-[ I did do some Decamark research, at one stage but now I can't find any that are stable and won't crash before the battle screen fully loads. I'm still trying with Pocket Monsters Green - Pokemon Green, but just understanding the Japanese is the hard part. Yeah, I know that Mew, is the 151st, Pokemon but the other slots, are filed with 'M, MissingNo. and all the other glitches.

Date: 2009-02-02 19:48:45
I've been using fossil Kabutops Missingno to copy .4 The results are disastrous after you catch him. And try to make him do battle due to .4's rotten double Super Glitch starting moveset. I really wanted to use TM28 too! (I did an equivilent trade to get .4 which is why it doesn't know TM 28.) The Fossil Kabutops Missingno was able to pull it off in a wild battle with me though.

Date: 2009-02-02 19:55:20
Superglitch, has many random effects. It's like with me and Female Symbol. I can never find it in the wild, without the game crashing due to its endless cry, so I started off a Yellow data on ROM, with Female Symbol, as my starter and as I was going to Vermillion City, I had this crazy effect, where a Female Jr. Trainer sent out a Cubone, its name was glitched and Cubone was pink, and it had the BRN status. She suddenly had two, and it took a lot to take it a lot to knock it out, as it had so much HP. So the next trainer I ran into a was a Death Trainer. It had a level 0 Q, that would not faint, now matter what I used, on it. It's HP wouldn't go down.

Date: 2009-02-02 20:10:10
There is a flaw in the Q trick with pokemon that cannot evolve or cannot evolve anymore in pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 (in 2 they change back to whatever pokemon they originally were). Luckily I found a way around this. It turns out that Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 do not overwrite the move sets for such pokemon. Whenever I first did the Q trick on my Red version I decided to use a fearow and An Onix (I wanted a flying Onix.) So when I got my flying Onix I decided to teach it Dig and Fissure. Then I wanted to use it on pokemon stadium. So I was planning on seeing a flying and Sky attacking Onix. Instead I had a Fearow with Dig and Fissure. The change wasn't permanent on Stadium 1. However when I uploaded it onto Stadium 2, the changes were permanent. So I got to thinking: Since it will turn whatever pokemon I want into the opposite of what I want then maybe I should Use this to my advantage. So this time with the Fearow and Onix Changed back to normal by Stadium 2, I did the Q trick again and this time decided to change the Onix into a Fearow. Then I taught it Sky Attack and Fly. Next I uploaded it onto Stadium 2 and the changes were permanent. I did this with a Pidgey and a Mewtwo. I changed the Mewtwo into a Pidgey, taught it Sky Attack and Fly, and Uploaded it onto Stadium 2 and I got a Flying and Sky Attacking Mewtwo permanently.   

Date: 2009-02-02 20:17:43
How crazy. My late older brother saw a flying Golem. It was funny. It used Metronome, and it used Fly. I know my brother, used an old cheat cartridge, a few years back where he taught his Pokemon illegal moves, and when he played Stadium, his name and his Pokemon's names were in purple. And he taught his Mewtwo, Waterfall, and something else to his Venusaur.

Date: 2009-02-02 20:20:25
Yeah. All moves pokemon aren't supposed to know are highlighted in Purple in both stadium games. (Say for the prize pokemon like amnesia Psyduck, in the Stadium games and Surfing Pikachu. None of my pokemon's names were highlighted in purple just their attacks. Maybe because I didn't change all of their moves.)
I taught a LM4 Psychic once then evolved it Into a Nidoking. Talk about Uber.

Date: 2009-02-02 20:24:05
My brother, taught his Pokemon so many weird moves. I think he taught his Mewtwo, Fire Punch, Waterfall, and the other two moves I don't remember. But, it was just strange.

Date: 2009-02-02 20:27:59
If you import a Generation 1 pokemon from Generation 2 with an attack that was around in the first generation but a pokemon isn't supposed to know it in Generation 1. The attack will also be highlighted in purple.
Example: Growlithe with Headbutt tranferred from Gold to Red and uploaded onto Stadium 1 off of the Red Cartridge will have the same effect.