Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Save restoreation with 8F - Page 1

Save restoreation with 8F

Posted by: likebeingawesome
Date: 2017-06-27 20:12:11
So today I was going stuff with 8F when my game crashed. I rebooted the game and to my horror the save data was lost. If anyone knows a way to restore a save please tell me. (I am on virtual console) I need to be able to do this without hacking my 3DS so no gamesharks or anything of the like. Additionally if someone knows a way to back up a save please tell me that to.

Re: Save restoreation with 8F

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-06-27 20:49:47
No 3ds hacks? No backups/recovery. If you had hacks and got us a SAV file, well, that'd be a different story.

Date: 2017-06-27 21:10:44
I don't have backups but if there is a safe way (for my 3DS sense Nintendo will destroy it if I hack) to hack to get my save back.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-06-27 22:47:09

sense Nintendo will destroy it if I hack
Where'd you hear that? The most they can do is ban you from online services. As long as you do it right, they don't even fucking know you did it.

Posted by: TheSixthItem
Date: 2017-06-28 01:57:19
If you haven't started a new game yet, you can do the SRAM glitch to get your save back (save but before the textbox switches to "saving…" and after the yes/no box disappears, reset). If you corrupt your file, try again, if you can access the pokemon menu, great! You restored some of your save data! And if you can't access the pokemon menu,
RIP
likebeingawesome's save file
2017-2017
"My biggest dream was to send a mew through pokebank"
And yes, if you turn off "share usage with nintendo" or whatever it's called they'll just think you're a stupid idiot who doesn't want to improve future nintendo consoles while you hack your ass off

Date: 2017-06-28 06:06:18
How much of my save data can I restore with the SRAM glitch

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-06-28 06:52:02
Party Pokémon data only. And they will be considered as "foreign", obviously.
The SRAM glitch is done by accepting to save, and resetting before the "SAVING…" text appears. Better do it too early than too late.
If you reset too early, the "Save data is corrupt !" message will pop up, but you can try again.
If you do it right, you will be able to access the Pokémon menu after ladong your save. Yay !
If you do it too late, you won't be able to access the Pokémon menu. Part Pokémon data has been overwriteen, so RIP.

Tbh it's possible to restore save data with 8F, but it's probably corrupted, so it would serve you much.

Also, Nintendo won't destroy your 3DS if you hack it, but if you're like me and you want to keep it clean, have it your way.

Date: 2017-06-28 20:43:47
Welp i screwed up but can I see the resoreation code even if the save is courupt it would still be cool to see

Date: 2017-06-29 03:55:29
I just came up with a setup that does the job. Probably the most bloated I ever created, and definitely not worth it.
But I tested it, and it works !
Surely a genius will come after me and squeeze it. But for now…

In your bag, starting from item #3 :

Lemonade x28 (hex:1C)
Poké Ball x6 (hex:06)
Parlyz Heal x205 (hex:CD)
TM17 x53 (hex:35)
Fresh Water x62 (hex:3E)
Moon Stone x234 (hex:EA)
Great Ball x1 (hex:01)
Lemonade x2 (hex:02)
Soda Pop x234 (hex:EA)
Antidote x64 (hex:40)
Carbos x165 (hex:A5)
X Accuracy x152 (hex:98)
Awakening x139 (hex:8B)
TM05 x58 (hex:3A)
TM13 x[Any qty]

In your item PC :

Max Potion x71 (hex:47)
TM13 x213 (hex:D5)
Lemonade x123 (hex:7B)
TM45 x209 (hex:D1)
Repel x159 (hex:9F)
Soda Pop x213 (hex:D5)
TM01 x234 (hex:EA)
HP Up x181 (hex:B5)
Poké Ball x195 (hex:C3)
Master Ball x1 (hex:01)

Once you're set up, use ws m and the game will reset with glitched palettes (unless your save file is *exactly* right, but whatever). Until you loaded your save, DON'T SHUT THE CONSOLE DOWN THE SLIGHTEST BIT. You might lose save data !!
Now, your save file will be uncorrupted :D So load it ! What are you waiting for ?

(You don't need to save after it's uncorrupted, but you can :)

Commented source code :

@ 1:D321 :

ld a, $1C
inc b ; Padding
ld b, $0F ; Carried over to the ROP chain
call $35D9 ; BankswitchHome
inc a ; Padding
ld a, $0A
ld [$0103], a ; Enable SRAM
ld a, 2
dec a ; ld a, 1
ld [$400B], a ; Switch to bank 1
ld h, $A5
ld l, $98
ld c, $8B
call $D53A ; Jump to part 2 (it never returns)

@ 1:D53A :

ld de, $D53A ; Part 3
push de
ld a, $7B
push af
pop de ; ld d, $7B  , backwardest-way (c)ISSOtm 2017 :D
ld e, $9F ; de points to checksum function
dec a ; Padding
push de
ret ; Enable ROP chain
ld [$B523], a ; sMainDataCheckSum
inc b ; Padding
jp $0101 ; Jump to game init to avoid losing SRAM

Tech explanation :

1. We switch to ROM bank $1C because that's where all save functions are stuffed
2. We open SRAM for writing
3. We switch to SRAM bank 1
4. We set the parameters for the later checksumming
5. We *call* the second part, without a RET (you'll see why)
Obviously both bytes of each parameter won't compile as valid items so I'm going at it the most backwards way possible (notice how b is set at the beginning of the whole thing...)

6. The checksum function's address is a b***h, and hl is locked-up, so we HAVE to use a ROP chain. Yay. Starting by pushing Part 3's address
7. We can't change anything but a and d, and we must load it when both `ld d, XX` and `$7B` compile to invalid items :/
Thus, GVHFWDéfFZ (to sum up)
8. We "return" to the checksum function, correct parameters and all, then to Part 3.

9. We set the stored checksum to match the calculated sum, thus "uncorrupting" the file
10. We'd have to close SRAM, switch to the correct ROM bank and let the user reset the game. However that'd be fairly heavy, and you're aware that users are stupid, so they will power cycle their console and lose data. We address both issues by resetting ourselves
(Note : 0100 is a NOP, so 0101 does reset the game. Plus it avoids that nasty 00 byte.)

Posted by: jfb1337
Date: 2017-06-30 15:20:53
In future, look at a pokemon's sprite before doing anything risky, that way if it crashes it's unlikely to corrupt the save since it would need to change SRAM banks

Date: 2017-07-02 06:33:44

I just came up with a setup that does the job. Probably the most bloated I ever created, and definitely not worth it.
But I tested it, and it works !
Surely a genius will come after me and squeeze it. But for now…

In your bag, starting from item #3 :

Lemonade x28 (hex:1C)
Poké Ball x6 (hex:06)
Parlyz Heal x205 (hex:CD)
TM17 x53 (hex:35)
Fresh Water x62 (hex:3E)
Moon Stone x234 (hex:EA)
Great Ball x1 (hex:01)
Lemonade x2 (hex:02)
Soda Pop x234 (hex:EA)
Antidote x64 (hex:40)
Carbos x165 (hex:A5)
X Accuracy x152 (hex:98)
Awakening x139 (hex:8B)
TM05 x58 (hex:3A)
TM13 x[Any qty]

In your item PC :

Max Potion x71 (hex:47)
TM13 x213 (hex:D5)
Lemonade x123 (hex:7B)
TM45 x209 (hex:D1)
Repel x159 (hex:9F)
Soda Pop x213 (hex:D5)
TM01 x234 (hex:EA)
HP Up x181 (hex:B5)
Poké Ball x195 (hex:C3)
Master Ball x1 (hex:01)

Once you're set up, use ws m and the game will reset with glitched palettes (unless your save file is *exactly* right, but whatever). Until you loaded your save, DON'T SHUT THE CONSOLE DOWN THE SLIGHTEST BIT. You might lose save data !!
Now, your save file will be uncorrupted :D So load it ! What are you waiting for ?

(You don't need to save after it's uncorrupted, but you can :)

Commented source code :

@ 1:D321 :

ld a, $1C
inc b ; Padding
ld b, $0F ; Carried over to the ROP chain
call $35D9 ; BankswitchHome
inc a ; Padding
ld a, $0A
ld [$0103], a ; Enable SRAM
ld a, 2
dec a ; ld a, 1
ld [$400B], a ; Switch to bank 1
ld h, $A5
ld l, $98
ld c, $8B
call $D53A ; Jump to part 2 (it never returns)

@ 1:D53A :

ld de, $D53A ; Part 3
push de
ld a, $7B
push af
pop de ; ld d, $7B  , backwardest-way (c)ISSOtm 2017 :D
ld e, $9F ; de points to checksum function
dec a ; Padding
push de
ret ; Enable ROP chain
ld [$B523], a ; sMainDataCheckSum
inc b ; Padding
jp $0101 ; Jump to game init to avoid losing SRAM

Tech explanation :

1. We switch to ROM bank $1C because that's where all save functions are stuffed
2. We open SRAM for writing
3. We switch to SRAM bank 1
4. We set the parameters for the later checksumming
5. We *call* the second part, without a RET (you'll see why)
Obviously both bytes of each parameter won't compile as valid items so I'm going at it the most backwards way possible (notice how b is set at the beginning of the whole thing...)

6. The checksum function's address is a b***h, and hl is locked-up, so we HAVE to use a ROP chain. Yay. Starting by pushing Part 3's address
7. We can't change anything but a and d, and we must load it when both `ld d, XX` and `$7B` compile to invalid items :/
Thus, GVHFWDéfFZ (to sum up)
8. We "return" to the checksum function, correct parameters and all, then to Part 3.

9. We set the stored checksum to match the calculated sum, thus "uncorrupting" the file
10. We'd have to close SRAM, switch to the correct ROM bank and let the user reset the game. However that'd be fairly heavy, and you're aware that users are stupid, so they will power cycle their console and lose data. We address both issues by resetting ourselves
(Note : 0100 is a NOP, so 0101 does reset the game. Plus it avoids that nasty 00 byte.)

How many saves back does this go and is there a way to set the save you want to recover

Date: 2017-07-02 09:27:28
Once you save, the previous save is overwritten, no exceptions. So this goes to the last save only. And OF COURSE, if you saved while attempting to recover your corrupted save… you can't anymore.

Date: 2017-07-09 12:08:05
Ok well I sadly have use for the code again. I noticed you said use W MS item. Is this code for yellow or by W MS did you mean 8f too?

Date: 2017-07-09 15:16:36
No, as I said, it's for ws m. The setup is different for Red/Blue.

Date: 2017-07-09 17:15:08
Any advise on quickly getting this code ready for use. Also can some explain how to back up saves.