Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Save restoreation with 8F - Page 2

Re: Save restoreation with 8F

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-07-11 15:42:49
There's no way to "set it up quickly".

Also you can't backup saves. Best you can do is view a Pokémon sprite before attempting anything that might corrupt your save. This will greatly reduce your chances of trashing the save.

Posted by: likebeingawesome
Date: 2017-07-11 16:58:30
Why do sprites lower the chance of losing your save file?

Posted by: Flandre Scarlet
Date: 2017-07-12 13:22:22

Why do sprites lower the chance of losing your save file?

Viewing a Pokemon's sprite forces the game to switch SRAM Banks which makes it less likely that the one where player save data is stored will get corrupted should anything go wrong.

Date: 2017-07-12 14:09:06
Why can 8f corrupt your save anyways?

Date: 2017-07-13 06:12:22
Because 8F makes the Game Boy's CPU run code outside of where it's usually done. If done right, you maintain the flow of code "in-bounds" (ie. the way you intended it), but if you made a mistake, the CPU can end up running any kind of code. Thus, possibly trashing your save file.

Posted by: Caveat
Date: 2017-07-13 06:41:39
In addition to this, Virtual Console has a higher chance of corrupting the save if you fuck up with 8F and the game crashes.

I'm not sure why, but it's there and very annoying for everyone involved.

Date: 2017-07-13 07:34:43
I think that was because it doesn't implement SRAM locking.

Basically, SRAM (the segment of RAM present on the cartridge that is used to store your save file) cannot be accessed unless you "write" a byte to the cartridge's ROM. When SRAM is locked, the CPU is denied access to SRAM, and the battery circuits are engaged (meaning if the cartridge loses power, the SRAM's contents will no decay). Writing any value that's not an "unlocking" one will lock SRAM again.
So, apparently the VC doesn't implement SRAM locking (because "lol what do we need it for ?"), and add to this that saving sets SRAM banks juuuust right… boom.

Also, to anyone wondering why viewing a sprite switches SRAM banks :
Sprites are graphical data, and thus take a load of space. So to fit everything in the cartridge, the developers came up with a compression system, but it requires a sizable chunk of RAM. Because the GB's WRAM is almost completely filled, the developers chose to use a bit of SRAM bank 0 - 'cause it's RAM before being "S"RAM.
Fun fact : right after the area where sprites are decompressed, is the Hall Of Fame data. Since glitch Pokémon's sprites tend to have sizes larger than what can fit in the decompression area, it overflows into Hall Of Fame data. Woopsies.

Date: 2017-09-16 16:08:12
Ok I have been doing some work and I am planing a way to do this very quickly. But I will need help. How can I use item underflow to go to any building in celadon(Ideally the department store) and from there to a building on cinnabar (ideally the pokemon center) I will also need to be able to fly without the badge and I already know how to do that by surfing. Once I get that info I should be able plan it out from there. (Remember I can't save, switch boxes, beat the elite four, etc.)

Date: 2017-09-17 04:45:42
You can't fly without the badge. Like, period. Except with ACE, again, but it's not straightforward.

To do that warp thingy, you have to toss item 36 (I think ?) while in a building to make the exit of the building point to another map.
'Careful, warp IDs can be pretty tricky at times.

Date: 2017-09-17 15:10:48

No, as I said, it's for ws m. The setup is different for Red/Blue.

Wait whats the rb setup or is the item menu for rb and box for yellow

Date: 2017-09-17 15:21:22
Ok so you will need to make your name A at the moment I do not think your starter matters.
Now play through the game normally (but make sure to catch an abra and consistently have 6 items at least in your bag) untill you get access to cut.
Once that happens go back to cerulian city now cut the tree that blocks you from going to the route to the right of cerulian. Go through the route like normal (but battle as few trainers as posible) untill you reach the part with a pokemon center, a female trainer, and four trees to cut down. Go in that pokemon center now go back down the route to the long range trainer (REMEMBER DO NOT SAVE IN FRONT OF HIM) take extra care not to battle him(if you do lose the battle). It may also be a good idea to practice trainer fly before this.
To trainer fly from him use the Abra you caught earlyer if you did everthing right you will go back to the pokemon center on that route. Now battle the female trainer I mentioned earlier make sure to beat her first pokemon but lose on her second  pokemon. 
Remember to have at least six items in your bag and open the start menu.
Now make your way back to the long range trainer. The start menu will open on its own and missingno will appear run from missingno toss 2 items in your 6th slot.
Now do it again this time around though you can defeat her if you like. Now go back and run from missingno again do not toss any items this time.
Go into the pokemon center move the items in the 6th slot into the third now toss the items in the second slot of your inventory do the same with the first slot toss the items in the first slot untill you only have access to the first and second slots toss all but 3 of the items in the first slot and combine it with the items in slot 2 combine this new stack with the items in slot one you will now have a slot with "0" items in it you will be in item underflow.
I am unsure what you exactly need to do next but you need to warp to celadon and use the pokemon center there and then go to cinabar use the pokemon center there (you need to use the pokemon centers so you can fly to the locations) give yourself sabrinas badge so you can use fly, get access to the hm to teach fly, get a stack of jitems, and lasty give yourself maximum money. From there you set up the code.

Date: 2017-09-17 15:25:35
Uh, could you please put some line breaks in there ? I can't read it.

Date: 2017-09-17 15:29:33
Sorry. Also can you answer the question above it (in case you did not notice)

Date: 2017-09-21 10:10:34
Misty can also be used to get Missingno. Second Poké, so you can win instead of losing the second encounter.

Both are for Yellow, and you need BOTH at the same time for the setup to work. To put it differently, the bag is too small to fit the whole thing.

Date: 2017-09-21 17:25:50
Wait so what's the one for red and blue