Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

New discovery from Dio del Metal (Italian Youtuber) - Page 1

New discovery from Dio del Metal (Italian Youtuber)

Posted by: Hate92
Date: 2019-03-18 04:18:28
Hi, sorry for this first message in this forum, i reach the link from Chika on Youtube (i'm a subscribe from these.)

Her name is "LEYXARDON 775200a" and this glitch Pokèmon is really incredible, sprite and music are peculiar, i invite to show this video. Please i would like your opinion, expert.

The video is:

https://youtu.be/bX-6Ris4L0E

Re: New discovery from Dio del Metal (Italian Youtuber)

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2019-03-18 09:09:34
Welcome to the boards, Hate92!

What is this? An elaborated fake using ACE? A hackrom?

Date: 2019-03-18 09:50:37

Welcome to the boards, Hate92!

What is this? An elaborated fake using ACE? A hackrom?

Fake? Hackrom? NO, is a original Pokèmon Yellow UK version

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-03-18 11:19:57
I didn't watch the entire hour, but I think I get the general point. While I don't understand Italian, Krys seems to have the right idea. It's an extremely elaborate use of ACE, with the sprite presumably loaded into SRAM beforehand (it could be that he programmed it in from scratch byte-by-byte, but I don't think even an hour of continuous inputs is enough time for that).

All in all, it's a solid example of what can be done with these games with modern glitching, and is highly in-depth if not a bit over-the-top. I don't know Italian, so maybe there's more to it, but it's not a new discovery nor the first ACE video I would point someone to. Still a very cool demonstration even if I'd recommend skipping to the last 15 minutes.

Date: 2019-03-18 16:13:25
Italian is my mother tongue, but I skipped some passage of the video so I may miss something. However it seems that this Youtuber wants people to believe it's a real thing, not SRAM loading followed by complex ACE shenanigans, and tries to fool people by adding a lot of unnecessary stuff.

I'm not sure what is his point here. Seeing the comments, this Youtuber seems to be fairly respected and a good Pokémon glitch source. Maybe it's meant to be an early april's fool?

Date: 2019-03-19 00:39:09
Ohh, okay. Looking through the video a bit more, there are a lot of dead giveaways, like the nicknames, levels, counting frames in the Safari Zone, and probably more. The Ghost battle system and save erasing are also way too obviously contrived. The comments and description seem to suggest he's trying to pass it off as something new that was always in the code, so…

I still say let him get the recognition he gets. I mean, he learned a lot about ACE, text pointer manipulation, and other major glitches, he commissioned a full design for Leyxardon in addition to a sprite, and he put it all together into a video that entertained a lot of people. It'll inevitably be seen for what it is if it gets popular enough, but I'll be honest: I like it. Why? Because it reminds me of certain times soon after I discovered Pokémon that I had almost completely forgotten about.

When I first got Internet access, it goes without saying that I rushed straight to lots of now-dead Pokémon sites, and my impressionable mind would think "Damn! What if I really did open up my cartridge and put it in backwards to get a Mist Stone and evolve Mewtwo into Mewthree, or talk to Oak one million times to get a Pikablu?!" The ideas alone of the "Pokégods" were exciting enough to add to my enjoyment of the series when I was younger, so seeing someone finally take that concept and combine it with the complexity of modern glitching is cool in my opinion.

Date: 2019-03-19 05:54:26
Ok guys…. it's clear that you think it is false. I posted the video in this forum because "glitchcity" is the best Pokèmon site for the glitch, i wanted opinions from you experts.

The thing is that "Dio del Metal" it never seemed to me a false person… however i am here because i have skepticism from this biggest glitch. But the video has only 1 dislike and never discussion from the authenticity, never comment, never question, none of its members have the skills to speak?

Date: 2019-03-19 05:55:35

Italian is my mother tongue, but I skipped some passage of the video so I may miss something. However it seems that this Youtuber wants people to believe it's a real thing, not SRAM loading followed by complex ACE shenanigans, and tries to fool people by adding a lot of unnecessary stuff.

I'm not sure what is his point here. Seeing the comments, this Youtuber seems to be fairly respected and a good Pokémon glitch source. Maybe it's meant to be an early april's fool?

Ciao! Seriamente, cosa ne pensi di tutto questo? Non può proprio essere veritiero?

Date: 2019-03-19 10:35:56
Seriamente, di sicuro quel Pokémon non si trova nel gioco. E stato aggiunto, pero può essere stato aggiunto con dei glitch (altri che quelli del video). Continuo in Inglese cosi capiscono tutti :)

It's funny that you say that, Sherkel, because I felt the same back then. The whole 'Pokégod' thing is what motivated me to enter in the glitch zone in the first place :)

Regarding the video itself, it's indeed very interesting, because regardless of how this 'glitch Pokémon data' was integrated in the game (through hacking tools or more ACE not shown in video) it still seems to be summoned via glitching (ACE mostly). I'm still not sure if Dio del Metal is aware of which part of what he does in the vid is nonsense and which parts actually summons the integrated data. He could be trying to create a creepypasta or something, or genuinly believing that he discovered something. Or just having fun with a good fake :)

Anyway thanks for sharing this Hate92! If you need some other opinions on Youtube vids don't hesitate to ask :)

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-03-19 13:41:12

Seriamente, di sicuro quel Pokémon non si trova nel gioco. E stato aggiunto, pero può essere stato aggiunto con dei glitch (altri che quelli del video). Continuo in Inglese cosi capiscono tutti :)

lemme try and translate this without a translator or the ability to understand the language:
seriously? I think?(, di sicuro quel) Pokemon (non si trova nel gioco. E stato) aggravate? aggravated? aggravating?(, pero può essere stato) again, aggravate or aggravated, aggravating, maybe? (con dei) glitch ((altri che quelli del ) video). Continue in English (cosi) something about captions, perhaps? (tutti) :)

how close am I

Date: 2019-03-19 15:06:52
Fairly not close :P sorry but it's always a good thing to try  ;)

Date: 2019-03-19 15:24:54
From the video, "gioco" seems to be "game". (Lots of words for that start with a palato-alveolar fricative, as does my username.) So, my best guess would be something like "Seriously, [it's] for sure that the Pokémon is not in the game. In a state…?, but it could exist in a state with glitches (other than those in the video). I'm continuing in English…for all the rest?"
EDIT: Ah, "aggiunto" is "added". So, "it's from a modified state, but the state could have been modified with glitches" is probably closer.

Well, whatever. Interesting to hear we had a similar story with the rumors of old, Krys!

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2019-03-19 19:35:50
I just got a quick glance at the video and Google Translate'd the description, and this is definitely a fake. Disclaimer: I don't speak a word of Italian, so I'll be mostly focusing on the video's description, since I have no idea what the guy is saying. There's already a lot to be discussed there. Then I'll quickly talk about the video - sorry if this post is rough around all the edges, it's 1:30 as I'm wrapping it up and viewing this pissed me off pretty hard.

Nei meandri più oscuri di Giallo Inglese (Yellow Version/Pikachu Version), esattamente nella 1° Edizione del titolo in questione poichè ne sono uscite 3 successive
This seems to mean he found a glitch in the first version of the three US Yellow versions. That's BS, only JP Yellow had different versions. (This can be confirmed by searching Dat-o-Matic for pocket_monsters for the JP version, the US version can be searched as well.

io vi porto la verità, ho brutalizzato la leggenda metropolitana di Luxor che non ha ne capo ne coda e invece vi mostro come evocare in un qualsiasi Giallo Inglese il famigerato Leyxardon 775200a, che ha effetti e comportamenti peculiari, e sembra essere effettivamente un Pokemon originale scartato o non implementato!

This is a repeated claim that this is 100% legit etc etc, but this is not an unimplemented Pokémon - it would have already been figured out by the disasms, I'm pretty sure (there's a remote chance I'm wrong here, but considering the context in which this discovery is introduced I don't believe it.)

I Glitch utilizzati per Evocare Leyxardon 775200a: - Missingno. items stack duplication glitch; - Pokemon Silver Eng Coin Case Ibrids Impossible Movesets Glitch; - Trainer Escape with Ditto Glitch; - Multiple Safari Zone Dark Corruption Glitch; - Trainer Escape Glitch Forcing and NPC Manipulation Drop lv.80; - Reverse Arbitrary Code Execution; - Chrono End Safari Message Glitch; - Specials Dex List Manipulation (Pokemon, levels, items ecc…) 77-5-99-99-2-1 Glitch; - Card Key (Apriporta) Temporaney Arbitrary Down Arrow Manipulation Glitch; - Forcing 8f With Manipulation to become Wall Hacking item (Ghost Mode/Sparta effect) Glitch; - Grotta Celeste 3° Piano Manipolazione Glitch!

Some glitches here do in fact exist (Missingno. items stack duplication glitch, Ditto Glitch), but the rest is just plain made up. "Multiple Safari Zone Dark Corruption Glitch" is making the dark palette from the cave linger by warping to the Safari Zone. Big whoop, that's merely a graphical effect and does not corrupt anything. NPC Manipulation Drop lv 80, Reverse ACE, Specials Dex List Manipulation, 77-5-99-99-2-1 Glitch, and actually most of the glitches listed here are made up names, and straight up don't mean anything. Like, what's Reverse ACE?!?

Tutto questo è stato possibile con l'aiuto di Michael Myers, che mi ha aiutato fino a metà "metodo", quindi lo ringrazio moltissimo per avermi indirizzato su quali settori dell'opcode Z80 cercare per trovare il fottutissimo pokemon annesso al 775200a!

…Michael Myers? …Ok.
Also, just a nitpick, but the Game Boy's CPU isn't a z80. Valid names are either GBz80, LR35902 or SM83. I can let that go - it's  common mistake - but it shows the guy Did Not Do The Bloody Research ;D

As for the video itself, well, YouTube's auto-translated auto-generated comments only work out one word correctly out of, what, 20, so I had to make up (and skip large chunks because it's 1am :') )

A thing I absolutely have to criticize is the made-up timing things he's doing - it's extremely rare for a glitch in Pokémon games that relies on timing to be as lenient as he is. He is starting his timers in moments that are not related to what the game is doing (for example, well after the map-loading routine is done, so he's starting the timer while nothing special is happening).

The gfx reloading when he uses a Card key is also very fishy imo. Smells like ACE or a hacked ROM.

Also, I catched a moment where he appears to be paraphrasing all video game creepypastas with "the game was causing people to act irrational" etc etc. ("Appears to" because I only have incredibly botched subtitles to base myself off of.) I also saw a reference to the truck at some point, which has been thoroughly debunked at this point.

I do think this is a quickly cobbled together ROM hack - they're easy af to make using the disassemblies. The corrupted Cerulean Cave 1F can be done by just modifying its tileset ID and repointing the block data to garbage.
Debunking it won't be very effective either - the video is made to impress, and the guy insists a lot on sharing etc etc. I could help constructing a more structured and clear post about why this is a fake, but I don't believe people will care, especially since respectable people like Sherk had the reaction he had.

This "eh it's a well-done fake and it's a cute Pokégod legend" argument is utter BS. This IS a lie. It's a fake. It's misinformation. This thing shouldn't be treated like it's acceptable.

Date: 2019-03-19 20:40:32
Eh, it's on the fringes of Pokémon's internet presence, though. If the foremost sources on prototypes and glitching (ZZAZZ, Crystal_, Team Spaceworld, Helix Chamber, etc.) hadn't bound themselves to total integrity from the beginning, I might be saying something different. But if people want to do the research, they'll come here, as Hate92 did the day it was posted. Best case scenario, more curious potential members come here (or PRAMA) wondering what on Earth is up with this Leyxardon thing. Worst case scenario, the video becomes popular to the degree of something like the Pong one (super unlikely for the length and language alone,) and one of the aforementioned sources discredits it and gets an equal amount of attention soon afterward.

Bit unfortunate that it seems to be a straight-up ROM hack instead of just a lot of modified SRAM and WRAM, but it doesn't change my opinion. If someone wants to call it out, though, all they'd need to do is leave a comment saying "this has been posted to Glitch City Laboratories".

The video's staying up in any case. Should it go viral or snowball into more fake glitches, we were lucky to get our eye on it early.

Date: 2019-03-20 03:54:00
Thanks for the careful analysis isso! It's way clearer now. I understand your upsetness also, as well as Sherkel's point of view.

Sherkel, "E stato" means "it was" but that was a tricky one to find. The rest is quite good. What I said was "Seriously, it's certain that this Pokémon is not in the game. It was added, but it could have been added with glitches (other than the ones in the video). I continue in English so everyone understands."