Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Wild Appeared! - Page 1

Wild Appeared!

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2007-12-06 22:22:44
I curious as to what causes "Wild" to appear in the games. Reports of nonexistant Pokemon suddenly appearing aside, I've seen evidence of Wild on youtube, when the Catch Other Trainer's Pokemon code is turned on before battling a Trainer. The trainer sprite appears, but instead of "Trainer wants to fight", "Wild          appeared!" comes up instead. Oftentimes, the "trainer" faints. In the TM Trainer effect, the Pokemon's name disappears on the battle screen, though the Pokemon itself does not, which may or may not be related. There was also a video of someone encountered "Wild" in D/P, not as a sharked Trainer, but as a nonexistant (no sprite) Pokemon with a Bulbasaur's cry that gives off Shiny stars. When attacked, the game says that there is no target.

So how can Wild be summoned? At first I thought that it happened when the game failed to look up a hex in the Ditto Trick, but this was soon disproven. Thanks to some odd trouble with the PC-save-while-doing-the-Ditto-trick, the data of fighting the second trainer was saved, but the value gained from that battle was not. The result when I went to the battle site? The menu popped up, and pressed B…and nothing happened. No glitchiness whatsoever. So a failure to have a value just results in no battle at all.

My guess after watching the D/P video of "Wild" is that it's actually a fainted Pokemon. When your opponent is defeated, it drops off the screen, leaving the screen blank. The sharked trainers have no HP, and so fare already "fainted". But what would summon a fainted Pokemon is what I don't know.

Any ideas?

Re: Wild Appeared!

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-12-06 22:34:42
Reports of nonexistant Pokemon suddenly appearing aside, I've seen evidence of Wild on youtube, when the Catch Other Trainer's Pokemon code is turned on before battling a Trainer. The trainer sprite appears, but instead of "Trainer wants to fight", "Wild           appeared!" comes up instead. Oftentimes, the "trainer" faints.

Any time you see null data appear as a Pokemon, it's more than likely going to actually be an [name=RB:000]. I don't know about any other games, but that's how it goes down for R/B.

Date: 2007-12-06 22:47:56
Yeah, I remember seeing a video where a guy somehow managed to use a Rare Candy on a blank space in his party, and it said "M grew to level 205!"

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-12-09 19:39:34
It always appears for me when I have no PkMn, see null data in anything GSC and +, and use the "steal trainer's PkMn" code. It isn't "Wild appeared" actually, it's "Wild (nothing) appeared".

Date: 2007-12-10 11:14:38
Well yeah, it's technically "Wild            appeared". But I digress.

Doesn't null data usually apear as M, though? What's the difference between "Wild" and M?

Date: 2007-12-10 16:17:41

Well yeah, it's technically "Wild            appeared". But I digress.

Doesn't null data usually apear as M, though? What's the difference between "Wild" and M?
That would be null data, but it actually sees something when you have no PkMn, its name just changes to  . That's different.

Posted by: MissingNO. #1 Master
Date: 2007-12-11 03:28:26
It would still be an M, albeit one with no stats.

Posted by: boxman
Date: 2007-12-11 19:58:12
I caught the D/P one with a Master Ball the sprite was raised to the very top of the screen and the shadow moved al the way to the right end of the screen. The Game Froze at the Pokedex screen. I got it again but this time hatched out of an egg, here the sprite was normal. The game froze when I tried to view my pokemon,meaning I couldn't give a rare candy to it. Also it can't battle, unless there's is a pokemon that can die from a Level 0 pokemon using struggle. Besides, the battle ends after the first turn. From what I can tell it seems like null data forced out into pokemon form. Like the placeholder for an empty slot. That oud explain about everything but the wierd battle sprite.

Date: 2007-12-11 21:26:28
There's another circumstance where a Pokemon's name becomes blank: TM TRAINER. The enemy becomes FRZ/BRN, loses most of its HP, and also loses it name above the HP bar. Could that be related to "Wild"?

Date: 2007-12-11 21:34:30
I think that's just the Superglitch making the game go haywire. But possibly it could.

Date: 2007-12-11 21:43:35
Yeah, that could be the case. I'm just wondering what makes it go blank in the first place

Date: 2007-12-11 21:46:57
As I said before, my guess is that it's null data. The blank spot placeholder. It can't have a name because if it did that name would show up in each of your blank spots.

Date: 2007-12-11 22:07:55
Yeah, that does make sense.

Date: 2007-12-12 14:12:30

As I said before, my guess is that it's null data. The blank spot placeholder. It can't have a name because if it did that name would show up in each of your blank spots.
Odd how it doesn't in RBYGGSC though…

Date: 2007-12-12 15:06:55

Odd how it doesn't in RBYGGSC though…

I guess it's because empty slots wern't clairified yet. A good example of this would be the TM trainer effect, it makes more than 6 pokemon in your team. On a side note most of the pokemon in those excess slots were M, who was R/B/Y's #000 glitch. In R/S/E you have the glitch the creates excess slots with ????????????. Most of those slots were filled with ???????????? R/S/E's #000 glitch. Also as if to prove my first statment correct if you have empty slots in your team before preforming the R/S/E empty slot glitch, those slots will show ????????????'s when selectable, and these ould show up as "wild appeared!" in battle.