Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

"Void Knowledge Archive, by the members of HallofOrigin" - Page 1

"Void Knowledge Archive, by the members of HallofOrigin"

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-02-13 18:59:46
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r02og1raAV1F8aCj6aIPT0z7J7anWrMqFMJ-yEUm4to/edit?pli=1

I was wondering about this just now. Was there a lot of important information which was lost with all the transitions of the forum? So far, this archive has been helpful. I figured Zowayixx would know since I recall him being related to the Hall of Origin forums.

Re: "Void Knowledge Archive, by the members of HallofOrigin"

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-02-13 19:17:30
Actually the Zowayix who is one of the staff here and Zowayixx are two different people. I don't know why the site got taken down and if Zowayixx still has any of the data from Hall of Origin locally.

I think a lot of information may have unfortunately been lost, like Pomeg glitch information. People like Vaeporsage, Pawny, voltage and blaphy may know more about this.

Date: 2015-02-13 19:23:24

Actually the Zowayix who is one of the staff here and Zowayixx are two different people.

D'oh! A single X was enough to mistake two different people, tee-hee :P

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2015-02-13 19:42:24
On tweaking/void itself, most of what was lost was research logs on "old" HoO from back in ~2008 when the forums were administrated by Auburn, that would be good for history/archive purposes. The "new HoO" administrated by Zowayixx should be the one with the Pomeg stuff, and it's not entirely lost, some few select members have the vBulletin database backup that I don't think it's restorable without owning a vBulletin license, but posts can be searched using Ctrl + F on any text editor. The wiki from new HoO was entirely lost, but except from tweaking maps, not much was lost there.

Posted by: Kraust
Date: 2015-02-13 19:47:08
This guide is generally lacking and was written a few years ago (iirc).
Also to note, that you can Tweak in HG/SS although the uses are far less apparent (I don't think there are any walkable voids outside of the map). I know you can skip Tohjo Falls from New Bark Town without Waterfall as I've done it (blah memory)

I was part of some of the original Hole Punching / Tweaking research back on GameFAQs in 2007-2008. I know a bit about the stuff, but I never exploited it to any reasonable success (mainly because I eventually god a BSOD after trying to get at Darkrai.

Gen IV glitching is some of the stuff I'm more interested in, but there's very little research on it that's well documented. There wasn't a desire for whatever reason when these games were released.

I remember hearing that you couldn't Tweak via Emulation as the emulator didn't emulate that part of the DS for whatever reason.

Date: 2015-02-13 19:57:40

On tweaking/void itself, most of what was lost was research logs on "old" HoO from back in ~2008 when the forums were administrated by Auburn, that would be good for history/archive purposes. The "new HoO" administrated by Zowayixx should be the one with the Pomeg stuff, and it's not entirely lost, some few select members have the vBulletin database backup that I don't think it's restorable without owning a vBulletin license, but posts can be searched using Ctrl + F on any text editor. The wiki from new HoO was entirely lost, but except from tweaking maps, not much was lost there.

Thank you for the input.

This guide is generally lacking and was written a few years ago (iirc).
Also to note, that you can Tweak in HG/SS although the uses are far less apparent (I don't think there are any walkable voids outside of the map). I know you can skip to Tohjo Falls from New Bark Town without surf as I've done it.

I was part of some of the original Hole Punching / Tweaking research back on GameFAQs in 2007-2008. I know a bit about the stuff, but I never exploited it to any reasonable success (mainly because I eventually god a BSOD after trying to get at Darkrai.

Gen IV glitching is some of the stuff I'm more interested in, but there's very little research on it that's well documented. There wasn't a desire for whatever reason when these games were released.

I remember hearing that you couldn't Tweak via Emulation as the emulator didn't emulate that part of the DS for whatever reason.

There are walkable voids in Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver since I have found them myself but it's been a while. I didn't access them from tweaking though since I'm not very good at it.

Mayhaps tweaking is possible in DeSmuME if the DS BIOS is used?

Date: 2015-02-13 20:03:09
I know you can skip Tohjo Falls from New Bark Town without Waterfall as I've done it (blah memory)

Tweak on the route above Goldenrod and run-tweak on Azalea/Slowpoke Well are used in speedruns (not 100% sure about the spots). If you use the correct kind of tweak, it always mirrors the opposite route, so it actually depends on its opposite side not being blocked, or having a compatible Z-axis (this can get deep, it's not explained in the guide as patterns weren't actually explained there except for the useful ones for entering the void. There's this post where I re-wrote them if anyone is interested, though).

EDIT: WaybackMachine actually has some pages of the wiki alive, but none of the interesting stuff is there, so meh.

You actually can, in any emulator.

Date: 2015-02-14 09:09:06

Tweak on the route above Goldenrod and run-tweak on Azalea/Slowpoke Well are used in speedruns (not 100% sure about the spots). If you use the correct kind of tweak, it always mirrors the opposite route, so it actually depends on its opposite side not being blocked, or having a compatible Z-axis (this can get deep, it's not explained in the guide as patterns weren't actually explained there except for the useful ones for entering the void. There's this post where I re-wrote them if anyone is interested, though).

EDIT: WaybackMachine actually has some pages of the wiki alive, but none of the interesting stuff is there, so meh.

I archived that post of yours. https://archive.today/9NTCk

You actually can, in any emulator.

Oh, so it was a misconception then? Thanks for clearing it up!

Date: 2015-02-14 11:30:15

I archived that post of yours. https://archive.today/9NTCk

Thanks! I had it saved here just in case too. I'd forgotten I'd written it again tbh. :V

Oh, so it was a misconception then? Thanks for clearing it up!

I think some random effects from L-tweaks can differ from emulator and cart on PtHGSS, but I don't have a cart to actually try.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2015-02-14 16:12:24
Was there a lot of important information which was lost with all the transitions of the forum? So far, this archive has been helpful. I figured Zowayixx would know since I recall him being related to the Hall of Origin forums.

Yes a lot was lost.  I don't think Zowayixx will be very helpful considering that he left the community after he hacked the "old" )(current, dead) Hall of Origin and deleted everything.

The "new HoO" administrated by Zowayixx should be the one with the Pomeg stuff, and it's not entirely lost, some few select members have the vBulletin database backup that I don't think it's restorable without owning a vBulletin license, but posts can be searched using Ctrl + F on any text editor. The wiki from new HoO was entirely lost, but except from tweaking maps, not much was lost there.

I have a copy of the database still if anyone wants to try to make something to parse it or something.

edit: Wow, this is my first post in almost half a year.  I didn't realise I'd become so inactive, considering that I still visit here very often (almost daily).

Date: 2015-02-14 16:43:56

Yes a lot was lost.  I don't think Zowayixx will be very helpful considering that he left the community after he hacked the "old" )(current, dead) Hall of Origin and deleted everything.

That's a shame.

I have a copy of the database still if anyone wants to try to make something to parse it or something.

I'm interested though I'll only look at it with a text editor like Pawny suggested.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-02-14 17:06:07

I'm interested though I'll only look at it with a text editor like Pawny suggested.

Same here, I am interested but would only look at it with a text editor.

We could make a thread here about old findings on Hall of Origin and list them.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2015-02-15 03:54:37
Most of the threads are probably pointless forum game threads that can be discarded but some things like the Pomeg Glitch thread and maybe a few VE threads could be interesting if you can find them among everything else.

http://puu.sh/fWoMV/719857a701.sql

Let me know when you've both got it so I can delete it from my puush.  It's pretty big (almost 100MB).

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2015-02-15 06:02:08

Most of the threads are probably pointless forum game threads that can be discarded but some things like the Pomeg Glitch thread and maybe a few VE threads could be interesting if you can find them among everything else.

Let me know when you've both got it so I can delete it from my puush.  It's pretty big (almost 100MB).

I grabbed it to my gbit dedi so can reupload elsewhere if needed.

Date: 2015-02-15 07:21:49

Done and thank you. The file I got is 88.9 MiB. Is that the correct file size?