Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation IV Glitch Discussion

"Void Knowledge Archive, by the members of HallofOrigin" - Page 3

Re: "Void Knowledge Archive, by the members of HallofOrigin"

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2015-02-18 10:23:35

I'm trying to recreate this discovery by Zowayixx in Platinum. I looked at the dump and found nothing, plus he didn't provide instructions either. When I went to east fake Sinnoh, all I could find around the amount of steps he showed was a white "Iron Island" void but I entered from northeast real Sinnoh so this might be in a southern location.

Void varies from file to file, either by flags or factors we don't know. This is likely the case.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-02-18 10:29:34

I'm trying to recreate this discovery by Zowayixx in Platinum. I looked at the dump and found nothing, plus he didn't provide instructions either. When I went to east fake Sinnoh, all I could find around the amount of steps he showed was a white "Iron Island" void but I entered from northeast real Sinnoh so this might be in a southern location.

Void varies from file to file, either by flags or factors we don't know. This is likely the case.

I see, thanks. Actually, I might have misunderstood this but do you have to walk 65536 steps first in order to reach fake Sinnoh or are the voids to the far east of Seabreak Path already part of fake Sinnoh?

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2015-02-19 20:07:22

I see, thanks. Actually, I might have misunderstood this but do you have to walk 65536 steps first in order to reach fake Sinnoh or are the voids to the far east of Seabreak Path already part of fake Sinnoh?

EFS means walking to the Fake Sinnoh that is roughly 65536 steps East of 430N after a save+reset.  NNFS means walking exactly 65536 steps North from the Fake Sinnoh that is roughly 65536 steps North of 430N after a save+reset, etc etc.

Date: 2015-02-20 11:04:27

EFS means walking to the Fake Sinnoh that is roughly 65536 steps East of 430N after a save+reset.  NNFS means walking exactly 65536 steps North from the Fake Sinnoh that is roughly 65536 steps North of 430N after a save+reset, etc etc.

Wow, I was way off the mark there.

Is 430N at least reachable in Platinum?

Date: 2015-02-20 11:19:23

Wow, I was way off the mark there.

Is 430N at least reachable in Platinum?

No.

Date: 2015-02-20 11:45:33

No.

Then I don't have an explanation for this. I followed Crystalmourne's instructions for reaching 430N in Diamond and Pearl and… they worked!

AniGIF (that additional 1N was by accident):

[img]http://i.imgur.com/x7TcToT.gif[/img]

No errors were reported by DeSmuME's debugging console. At 237N, the game triggered an The Underground event and I heard the Underground BGM; after pressing A (?), it played the sound effect of the spinning animation used for when the player enters or exits the Underground. I just continued walking afterwards.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2015-02-20 14:24:07
That's very interesting.  Perhaps it wasn't patched in the Japanese release?  In my English cart there are walls everywhere.

Date: 2015-02-20 15:55:03

That's very interesting.  Perhaps it wasn't patched in the Japanese release?  In my English cart there are walls everywhere.

I tried redoing exactly the same thing in DeSmuME (without the mistakes) and it worked. On real hardware, using the same ROM and save file, it froze on 237N right after the Underground event was triggered.

EDIT: The "walk through walls" code I have on my flashcart's user cheats database is different from the one I used in DeSmuME. Interesting.

[img height=500]http://i.imgur.com/eHxGvI8.png[/img]

EDIT 2 (UPDATED): If anyone here has a DS flashcart that allows you to easily modify the cheat list/database it uses, then could you try going to 430N in Japanese Platinum using the "walk through walls" code? My flashcart and its PC software are not being friendly right now when the cheat database is modified (the flashcart freezes and the PC software crashes far too often). As per my follow-up posts, you can access 430N safely if you go to the Underground at least once using the proper "walk through walls" code (see below). It doesn't matter if it's on a DS or an emulator.

94000130 FCFD0200
120604E8 00002000
D0000000 00000000
94000130 FCFD0100
120604E8 00001C20
D2000000 00000000

Press R+B to enable the code in-game. Press L+B to disable it.

EDIT 3: If you disable the above code after entering the Pokétch Company's void, you'll hit a wall of the map at 15N. Is this the behavior experienced when one does the same thing but from tweaking instead?

Date: 2015-02-21 14:55:36
As is already known, not going to the Underground at least once in Diamond and Pearl is important before accessing the void. From my experience in Platinum, this remains valid, and the game may or may not freeze exactly after doing 1S 5E 237N in the Pokétch Company's void. I published a video about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=338v_W6n9j4

I have also tried Stickyman's Spear Pillar Hall of Origin method (430N SR 70,000N 2912E SR 4894S 2816W). It does not work in Platinum because the game does not load a "Hall of Origin" void after 430N SR 70,000N 2912E and keeps the player in the Mystery Zone following the "Jubilife City" void that was entered shortly prior, thus making it impossible to save and reboot.

Posted by: X-Sanity
Date: 2015-02-22 11:33:55
Do we know which Battle Tower map ID we've been talking about? There's six of them and all have different voids.

As is already known, not going to the Underground at least once in Diamond and Pearl is important before accessing the void.

This is true but just as a sidenote it IS possible to get past 237N (or diagonal equivalent) as we've had numerous reports that rarely there's a Star Mountain there instead of a Mystery Zone. We have no idea what causes this though. I got it once but when I exited the void (because I was encountering Undergrounds in the void and the game kept freezing as I hadn't used the EK) and went back into the void it was gone.

Date: 2015-02-22 11:43:56

Do we know which Battle Tower map ID we've been talking about? There's six of them and all have different voids.

In this case, it's the Battle Tower map in Platinum that is accessed from the Battle Frontier in normal gameplay. The "Faraway place" void is map ID 0 and its internal name in the ROM is "EVERYWHERE". SunakazeKun told me this and I confirmed with both Pokesav and Spiky's DS Map Editor.

This is true but just as a sidenote it IS possible to get past 237N (or diagonal equivalent) as we've had numerous reports that rarely there's a Star Mountain there instead of a Mystery Zone. We have no idea what causes this though. I got it once but when I exited the void (because I was encountering Undergrounds in the void and the game kept freezing as I hadn't used the EK) and went back into the void it was gone.

237N is unstable so that's why I'm saying that it may or may not freeze the game as I've seen both things happen in the same ROM with the same save file and with the same "walk through walls" code. This is because the game triggers the "player's first time on the Underground" event in the void and the outcome is uncertain. Actually going to the Underground once fixes this since 237N will no longer trigger any events, although it triggers the Underground BGM for a few tiles despite the location not changing (you're still in the same Mystery Zone).

Date: 2015-09-21 17:03:56
Some of you may already know this but in the Japanese Diamond/Pearl v1.0, you can open the menu in a Mystery Zone, which means you're not limited to using a registered item like the Town Map to refresh the graphics.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rGBFldj6gY

Date: 2015-09-21 20:00:31

Some of you may already know this but in the Japanese Diamond/Pearl v1.0, you can open the menu in a Mystery Zone, which means you're not limited to using a registered item like the Town Map to refresh the graphics.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rGBFldj6gY[/youtube]

Yup, that's actually the reason the coordinates to Shaymin/Darkrai are WAAAAAY shorter on jp version: you can save on MZ and they also take you to real Sinnoh

Date: 2015-09-23 10:57:30

Yup, that's actually the reason the coordinates to Shaymin/Darkrai are WAAAAAY shorter on jp version: you can save on MZ and they also take you to real Sinnoh

Saving in the Mystery Zone also helps in accessing the Underground from the void while on your way to 430N in Japanese Diamond and Pearl v1.0. I found a path to the Underground thanks to this:

237N/238N* & save + reboot 1E 1S 32S 362E 160S
[size=8pt](I don't know whether it must be 238N or if 237N also works since 237N is where it usually starts playing the Underground theme.)[/size]

Walking south for a while will eventually present you with the actual maps of the Underground.

Here's a video of the path: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MurIM4N15F4

Date: 2015-09-24 12:33:32
In the Japanese Diamond/Pearl v1.0, you can use the Explorer Kit in a Mystery Zone, even as a registered item. The game will save and overwrite the data but, depending on the Mystery Zone (and your coordinates?), it'll either work or throw back an error.

If the Mystery Zone plays the Underground theme, then you can't use the Explorer Kit. This applies to both the Underground itself (which the game calls "Mystery Zone") and a void area called Mystery Zone with the theme. The part of that Mystery Zone that plays the regular Mystery Zone theme will let you use the Explorer Kit but the game will return the Union Room communication error while transporting you underground.

Subsequent releases and games fixed this so that the Explorer Kit instead returns the Rowan can't-use message in every Mystery Zone.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ZXk3ZP1iw