Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

New DSi model annouced - Page 1

New DSi model annouced

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-10-30 17:58:36
The DSi XL will feature 4.5 inch screens, a bigger battery for more battery life, a normal stylus, and a pen stylus. It will be somewhat thicker than the DSi and will have five bundled apps. (Brain Age Math, Literature, Sudoku, Browser, and Flipnote Studio) It will come in three colors, Wine Red, Dusky Brown, and Creamy White. I'm happy for it. It comes out in the UK and US in the first quarter of 2010. So the question is, do you like bigger or slimmer portable gaming models? (Also a DSi XL discussion thread.)

Re: New DSi model annouced

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-10-30 18:12:33
I like the concept, but I feel ripped off because I already bought a DSi a few months ago, and soon it will be outdated. As well, I spent a couple hundred Nintendo Points on several of those apps, so I hope that they give out a refund. Nevertheless, those enormous screens sound great.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-10-30 18:30:28
Meh, I'd rather go with OpenPandora.  Nintendo is really wearing out the DS product line.  4 products that play the same games?  Lame.

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-10-30 18:58:00
what 4 is that?

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-10-30 19:16:19

what 4 is that?
DS, DS lite, DSi, DSi XL.
Anyway, I agree with Wa and Axaj. Too many upgrades, just either move on or start with something better. Still, bigger screens is nice, and bigger styluses were always needed. Never had a DSi, but I would hope any apps from an old one would go onto a new one somehow. Otherwise that's a good reason not to buy one.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-10-30 20:43:08

I like the concept, but I feel ripped off because I already bought a DSi a few months ago, and soon it will be outdated.

Please explain how a device that plays the exact same games as the newest model is outdated.

Its pretty obvious that this is meant to appeal to old people.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-10-30 20:51:13

I like the concept, but I feel ripped off because I already bought a DSi a few months ago, and soon it will be outdated.

Please explain how a device that plays the exact same games as the newest model is outdated.

The DSi XL is somewhat larger. It's mostly the principle; I wish that Nintendo would just release one model and stop dragging it out. The fact that I can't be sure if I'm getting my money's worth because something a bit better could be announced in a few months is frustrating.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-10-30 20:56:10

The DSi XL is somewhat larger. It's mostly the principle; I wish that Nintendo would just release one model and stop dragging it out. The fact that I can't be sure if I'm getting my money's worth because something a bit better could be announced in a few months is frustrating.

Thats why I only buy consoles from previous generations

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-10-30 21:22:14
Ah, shoot. I have a DSi. (Hopes for a refund.)

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-10-30 21:57:51

The DSi XL will feature 4.5 inch screens, a bigger battery for more battery life, a normal stylus, and a pen stylus. It will be somewhat thicker than the DSi and will have five bundled apps. (Brain Age Math, Literature, Sudoku, Browser, and Flipnote Studio) It will come in three colors, Wine Red, Dusky Brown, and Creamy White. I'm happy for it. It comes out in the UK and US in the first quarter of 2010. So the question is, do you like bigger or slimmer portable gaming models? (Also a DSi XL discussion thread.)

With thicker it better have the GBA slot.

Posted by: atoms2ashes
Date: 2009-10-30 22:24:02
Goshdammit, Nintendo, stop making us feel bad for buying your own products!

Posted by: Angrysmurf
Date: 2009-10-31 09:53:26
All these features support Nikkeis two conclusions about the target market of the DSi XL: It is meant to entice older consumers into the fold, and to compete more directly with the iPod Touch.

(Quoted from this article)

Also, by looking at pictures in the article, it does NOT have a GBA slot. Not surprised, but that would have been awesome. Doesn't Nintendo realize how many more people would sell their old DS's and buy DSi's (ex. me) if they included a GBA slot with the DSi?

Meh, they're so obsessed with making old products obsolete that they'll throw easy money out the window!

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-10-31 09:59:38

article]All these features support Nikkeis two conclusions about the target market of the DSi XL: It is meant to entice older consumers into the fold, and to compete more directly with the iPod Touch.

Also, by looking at pictures in the article, it does NOT have a GBA slot. Not surprised, but that would have been awesome. Doesn't Nintendo realize how many more people would sell their old DS's and buy DSi's (ex. me) if they included a GBA slot with the DSi?

Meh, they're so obsessed with making old products obsolete that they'll throw easy money out the window!

Or they're gonna throw on a GBA slot on DSi XL-R or something

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-10-31 10:06:13

article]All these features support Nikkeis two conclusions about the target market of the DSi XL: It is meant to entice older consumers into the fold, and to compete more directly with the iPod Touch.

Or they're gonna throw on a GBA slot on DSi XL-R or something

No, the DSi XXL. It's the Dual-Screen i - Extra Large!

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-10-31 10:14:21
i hate the fact they took away the gameboy slot on the dsi. I also hate the fact that it's LAME!