Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

SETTLE IT! In SMASH! (SSB4 thread) - Page 3

Re: SETTLE IT! In SMASH! (SSB4 thread)

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2015-05-30 12:45:54
Well, I guess my secondary (to complement my main man Ganondorf) is either Dong or Jigglepuffs. I like Dong's range and Spinning Kong and spikeitude but the timings and such of his moves seem like they'll need a bit getting used to. Jigglypuff I already main in Melee just fine, though that's part of my problem that I don't want to accidentally ruin my Melee Jiggs play (because I dunno who else to main there) like I've done with Brawl Marth and SSB4 Ganon. I do like Jiggs in this game though, plays the same as Melee though sadly nowhere near as good, and you spam forward air instead of back air. In terms of being a secondary she doesn't have the same playstyle as Ganon (like Dong does) so probably good for covering matchups, and I like Rest having a better hitbox though I don't know if it doesn't come out on frame 1 anymore. Anyway, I guess she's just fun. It might turn out that she can be played in both Melee and SSB4 without screwing up one or the other, like how I seem to be able to use Pikachu across all games if I can get myself to stop compulsively Thundering in SSB4 and Quick Attack Cancelling (trying to) in Melee.

Mewtwo is one of the lighter characters, but that doesn't mean he's mediocre. His combo potential is just endless, and his air game is just insane. I mean this dude can dish out 25 percent with just down tilt to up smash. He get's ko'd pretty early but he's still a very good character. And shadow ball can't hurt when charging but also got buffed in that it can now be used as a recovery saving your second jump, side b, and up b for mix ups if they challenge you in the air. Also like yoshi he keeps his momentum when you cancel out his second jump to an attack, which makes his down air a reliable spike, his neutral air a great engage, forward air can combo with itself, and back air to make it safely on stage.

I'm mostly salty because his tail hitboxes make no fucking sense, but the general consensus seems to be that he gets rekt by speedy rushdown types like Pikachu and Sheik. Otherwise I can agree with that tier placement.

also i'm going to have to side with bert on this one.
stop with that word, it's ignorant.

Why? What's so bad about a particular word in that context? How does simply saying a word have anything to do with ignorance anyway?

Also why the hell is Yoshi so god damned annoying? Why do I seem to have trouble with him more than say Diddy or Sheik? Do the characters I play have worse matchups against him than other top/high tiers? What the hell were they thinking with that fucking neutral B and that overly high priority Egg Throw? Am I just fucking salty? Do I need to get gud scrub? Why did I ask those last two if I know the answer is yes to both?

And Lucina, even though I know she's a load of shit and probably one of the lowest in F tier. I guess it's because I end up being an aggressive player and she just counters my dick off every time, and I need to grab more often. Still though, I don't seem to have that much of a problem with stuff like Shulk or Little Mac who have better counters. It's probably also because the AI has its own characters who it's good and bad with, and Lucina is one of those characters who it's good with. I should really get onto Anther's Ladder, or figure out why the fuck I have a VDSL2 connection and get fucking lag in For Glory. Like 1 fucking whole second before it recognises my inputs and then I Wizard Foot off the stage when I just inputted a fucking Flame Choke lag. Wonder if that third party LAN adapter is just a load of shit. Guess I should get back into 3DS online and see how I go, or play something like Mario Kart 8 which I don't think has the same peer to peer shit, but then it's a shitty game where lag doesn't even matter so it's not a good benchmark.

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2015-05-31 00:20:20

Also why the hell is Yoshi so god damned annoying? Why do I seem to have trouble with him more than say Diddy or Sheik? Do the characters I play have worse matchups against him than other top/high tiers? What the hell were they thinking with that fucking neutral B and that overly high priority Egg Throw? Am I just fucking salty? Do I need to get gud scrub? Why did I ask those last two if I know the answer is yes to both?

And Lucina, even though I know she's a load of shit and probably one of the lowest in F tier. I guess it's because I end up being an aggressive player and she just counters my dick off every time,

Yoshi is high tier in japan for a reason. Down aerial is horrendously broken, you can't mash out of egg, and he got back his super armor on his second jump which he needs tbh. Dorf probably isn't the best pick against the yoshster, but if you must i have a few tips for ganon and hopefully some of these will help out

Up smash is the best bait in smash 4 hands down. It has very few end frames so you can IMMEDIATELY follow up with a side tilt or even a well timed warlock punch (side tilt is more reliable tho)

Side b is broke, just predict what they will do when they are on the ground and you can use this practically infinitely. If you don't want to bother, side b to down tilt hits pretty consistently.

warlock is only good on the ground, but it's usually not worth your time throwing out, down b is trash, and up b should pretty much be used for recovery only.

If they're in the air, remember up aerial is your bestest friend in the whole wide world, it has the range of falcon's so it covers a lot of space. Down aerial is obviously good because spike, and fwd and back air are pretty underated ko moves imo.

shield + a = insta punish on any character

and these tips should help with lucina matchup as well. Dorf hits harder than a semi, so if you're down in the percent wars don't freak you just have to land a few hits to get back on track.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2015-06-13 16:09:23
So apparently Ryu and Roy are playable.

Kinda hyped for Ryu, but Roy is just a huge WHY.

Date: 2015-06-13 21:34:06

but Roy is just a huge WHY.

He can literally roast Falco with his forward smash, what more do you want?

Date: 2015-06-13 23:39:35
I saw the leak this morning lol, everybody hyped about the new characters meanwhile im likeā€¦

RHYTHM HEAVEN!? KEN'S THEME!? FUCK YEAH 2 NEW OMEGA STAGES!!!!

Date: 2015-06-14 05:23:18
Muh Inkling trophy.

Oppor-tuna-ty. Wish I'd thought of that.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2015-06-15 17:56:37
And Lucas, Roy, and Ryu are all released today.  This was a pleasant surprise.

Date: 2015-06-17 02:21:33
So does Ryu suck or do I just suck at using him? 90% sure it's the latter.

Date: 2015-06-17 22:36:45

So does Ryu suck or do I just suck at using him? 90% sure it's the latter.

ryu's really good, a very solid character with combos that come straight from SFIV .

He's easily the most technical character you can pick up, and literally requires you to transfer your SFIV knowledge into smash bros. He does tremendous amounts of damage and his moves have stupid amounts of priority, however he's countered by zoning and other smash fundamentals. Fun character, especially if you played SFIV at some competitive level.