Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Chee-Chai Alien franchise - Page 1

Chee-Chai Alien franchise

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-01-04 14:40:08
Creatures Inc. (The Pokémon Company affiliate) have their own series featuring tiny little aliens known as Chaliens. It's not as good as Pokémon, and outside of the minigames it can get a little boring in my opinion, but I have recently started a wiki to learn more about it. It's very quirky as well, so if you like that aesthetic you may enjoy it. There are only three games in this series, and the series has been dormant for a while. It will be interesting if it returns though.

I recommend Nonono Puzzle Chalien over Chee-Chai Alien, because in Chee-Chai Alien you need to grind to unlock each Chalien's minigame (unlocking the Chaliens from light sources from the Game Boy Color's infrared port and interacting with them in a Polariton to gain sufficient points for the minigame). Nintendo did release the only localized game in the series, Spin Six for Nintendo DSiWare (also available on eShop). It is only a portion of Nonono Puzzle Chalien (specifically Spin Six mode) though, so if you can get Nonono Puzzle Chalien I recommend that. The trivia you unlock after each puzzle will still be in Japanese though, so that's a reason to buy Spin Six instead.

Another really obscure fact is that Chee-Chai Alien had a manga known as Mi Kakunin Uchuu Seimei-tai GoGo! Chalien or "Unidentified Space Life Form GoGo! Chalien" (see below).

[img]https://i.imgur.com/i6G1QRW.png[/img]

It probably didn't appear outside of Bessatsu Coro Coro Comic where it was originally serialised in 2001, but it looks like it would be interesting to see.

Here is the recently created wiki if you'd like to learn more about the series, because the available information about it is poor.

http://chee-chai-alien.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

Re: Chee-Chai Alien franchise

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-01-10 13:51:49
You should have mentioned you did a video of it yourself! Watching now.

So far I can say I really enjoy the sound design and quirkiness. The focus on minigames makes it seem like something I'd quite enjoy.

Ooh, there's a battle at 37:15!

Date: 2019-01-12 14:37:27

You should have mentioned you did a video of it yourself! Watching now.

So far I can say I really enjoy the sound design and quirkiness. The focus on minigames makes it seem like something I'd quite enjoy.

Ooh, there's a battle at 37:15!

Thanks for watching it! :)

Cool, I'm glad you like the game. The battle you mention is a minigame called Kachinuki! KuruKuru Battle. I think Kachinuki is stemmed ちく ("to win through"), and KuruKuru is a Japanese sound effect for going around and around (a reference to the action cursor constantly changing).

This minigame is the memory (activity or minigame) of various Chaliens. Others have their own unique minigame, 5 Chaliens have the activity "Stereo Chalien", and 6 have no actual activity, bringing up a sad screen which says "NO FUTURE". (so dark, Creatures why did you do this to them?!)

Date: 2019-01-14 02:17:38
Seems like a good handful of games to load onto GameYob and the Virtual Console then! I'm always glad to find something like that.

On the one that requires the infrared port, though, how much would I be missing out by not being able to use one?

Date: 2019-01-14 09:40:40
Hope you like it. :)

If VC doesn't simulate an infrared signal, then from a new save file, unfortunately you wouldn't be able to do much. You won't be able to do anything except view the menus/help, because you need to catch at least one Chalien to play with them in the Polariton (to unlock their minigame) and get rid of their dark matter to progress the story.

However, some versions of VBA simulate a perfect IR signal. If VC doesn't you can transfer a save file with minigames already unlocked, and the game will let you play the non-infrared based games (most don't require an IR port thankfully).

Alternatively maybe if you can use a cheat code program on 3DS CFW you may be able to access the minigames or simulate successful captures this way.

Hope this helps.

Date: 2019-01-14 10:16:55
I was only going to use Virtual Console for the GBA one. GameYob all the way for anything before that, so whatever save files you can send I'll be able to just drop in the same folder. From what you said, I guess just one with minigames unlocked would be fine.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-01-14 21:55:11
Sherkel, i'd recommend GameYob-Accurate, my accuracy-focused fork.

…or I would, but it's currently broken.

Anyways, just use the RetroArch core bake-in thing if on an N3DS (runs decently on the O3DS too with less strenuous games that don't use DoubleSpeed). Inject it with the Ultimate Injector from here

Date: 2019-01-15 15:57:13
I appreciate the suggestion, but I've only ever used the NDS version of GameYob. Not having to take my SD out of my 3DS, being able to play it on a different DS if I somehow feel like it, being used to it, all that. What version is your fork based off?

Date: 2019-01-15 16:42:07

I appreciate the suggestion, but I've only ever used the NDS version of GameYob. Not having to take my SD out of my 3DS, being able to play it on a different DS if I somehow feel like it, being used to it, all that. What version is your fork based off?
The emulation is separate from the per-system wrapper, like in Sameboy. That's how the original was set up, so that's how mine is set up.

As for not having to take your SD card out of your 3DS, you can use 3DShell to have it start an FTP server, allowing remote file uploads.

Date: 2019-01-16 03:08:53
I didn't know abour 3DShell! I don't know if an FTP server would be too slow for full 3DS CIAs, but I'll give it a look.

This turned into a topic about emulation quickly, huh? I'll re-rail it with some screenshots once I get going with it (probably Nonono Puzzle Chalien first).

Posted by: RETIRE
Date: 2019-01-16 05:35:53

Creatures Inc. (The Pokémon Company affiliate) have their own series featuring tiny little aliens known as Chaliens. It's not as good as Pokémon, and outside of the minigames it can get a little boring in my opinion, but I have recently started a wiki to learn more about it. It's very quirky as well, so if you like that aesthetic you may enjoy it. There are only three games in this series, and the series has been dormant for a while. It will be interesting if it returns though.

I recommend Nonono Puzzle Chalien over Chee-Chai Alien, because in Chee-Chai Alien you need to grind to unlock each Chalien's minigame (unlocking the Chaliens from light sources from the Game Boy Color's infrared port and interacting with them in a Polariton to gain sufficient points for the minigame). Nintendo did release the only localized game in the series, Spin Six for Nintendo DSiWare (also available on eShop). It is only a portion of Nonono Puzzle Chalien (specifically Spin Six mode) though, so if you can get Nonono Puzzle Chalien I recommend that. The trivia you unlock after each puzzle will still be in Japanese though, so that's a reason to buy Spin Six instead.

Another really obscure fact is that Chee-Chai Alien had a manga known as Mi Kakunin Uchuu Seimei-tai GoGo! Chalien or "Unidentified Space Life Form GoGo! Chalien" (see below).

[img]https://i.imgur.com/i6G1QRW.png[/img]

It probably didn't appear outside of Bessatsu Coro Coro Comic where it was originally serialised in 2001, but it looks like it would be interesting to see.

Here is the recently created wiki if you'd like to learn more about the series, because the available information about it is poor.

http://chee-chai-alien.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

Omg we used to have 'GoGo's' which are small creatures you could get in certain stores by buying past 20 euros, they quickly became a hype and were sold individually after that. The designs in the book page match some of the gogo's perfctly, and it definitely isn't coincidence! i might try to find some of mine later today, and show the ones that match!

Date: 2019-01-25 18:14:03
So, anyone got a save file with minigames unlocked so I can have a go at the first?

Date: 2019-01-25 22:59:29
what system is this

Date: 2019-01-26 11:40:08

So, anyone got a save file with minigames unlocked so I can have a go at the first?

I haven't sorry, but I'm thinking of getting a cart dumper to extract the save file from my Game Boy Color cart, so if that's any time soon I'll let you know!

what system is this

Chee-Chai Alien (first game): Game Boy Color (exclusive, but external devices including Xploder GB, emulators, bypass the check)
Nonono Puzzle Chalien (second game): Game Boy Advance

Date: 2019-01-26 17:46:51
How did you do it in the video? Whatever that was would be enough, presumably.

By the way:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/bh3sZ5m.png[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/CjOAYp0.png[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Rt3yJey.png[/img]