Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Video Games Discussion

Chee-Chai Alien franchise - Page 3

Re: Chee-Chai Alien franchise

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-01-29 07:06:26
Sherkel my Nonono Puzzle Chalien guidebook came today, so if you ever need help with a puzzle or anything, let me know. :) Have the Chee-Chai Alien book too but I don't know if it has a walkthrough in it, but if you need help more than happy to give it. The next time(s) I have my laptop will also be posting a Spin Six walkthrough online part at a time on the Chalien wiki.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-01-29 08:40:36

Sherkel my Nonono Puzzle Chalien guidebook came today, so if you ever need help with a puzzle or anything, let me know. :) Have the Chee-Chai Alien book too but I don't know if it has a walkthrough in it, but if you need help more than happy to give it. The next time(s) I have my laptop will also be posting a Spin Six walkthrough online part at a time on the Chalien wiki.
Did you see my IR patch?

Date: 2019-01-29 09:28:51

Did you see my IR patch?

Yes. Thanks for that.

I mean the puzzles with no IR rather than IR stuff.

Date: 2019-01-29 10:46:08
Ah. Just making sure!

Date: 2019-01-29 11:47:34

Ah. Just making sure!

It's a nice patch. :)

If you play Spin Six, be prepared for some very hard chain puzzles. For the single spin puzzles guessing and patience is enough, but the later "chain" puzzles it feels they seem to require mind'mapping and algorithmic ability, and to add on that for later puzzles you have to be quick. (I had to cheat and use the guide to complete them).

I want to upload videos of all of these, because with the screenshots or footage it seems a lot easier.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-01-29 13:37:48
Lots to look forward to with these, apparently! :)

Why is the IR function there in the first place, though, if all it does is write one value? What are you meant to point it at, and is it always meant to do the same thing?

Date: 2019-01-29 14:18:09
Something sun-related, like the one GBA(?) game that had an IR sensor that'd detect sunlight and have the signal in "charge" your special attack meter. This is why I say this:
During the new game intro, it waits for a certain threshhold to be met for IR strength (basically light intensity) if you say yes to an option during it. Plus, the sun background during the intro…

Besides that, on a code level, it's just making sure there's ANY light and meassuring the intensity of the incoming noise, discarding the data after that.

Date: 2019-01-30 09:12:22

Why is the IR function there in the first place, though, if all it does is write one value? What are you meant to point it at, and is it always meant to do the same thing?

:)

The purpose of the IR function is so that you point the Game Boy Color at an artificial light source, such as an in-room light to get a signal. The signal you get may vary. It may be that the signal strength/type influences the results but I don't know. The game was also packaged with a peripheral known as the spectrum communicator to enhance the reception you can get. However, you can play the game without it, the only (official) requirement is that the console that you play the game on must be a Game Boy Color. Hope this helps.

Date: 2019-01-30 11:00:26
I meant in the context of this particular game. GSC Mystery Gift looked for a specific IR signal, not just any light source. (Or did it?)

It's good to know those general details about it, anyhow.

Date: 2019-01-30 11:07:33

The purpose of the IR function is so that you point the Game Boy Color at an artificial light source, such as an in-room light to get a signal. The signal you get may vary. It may be that the signal strength/type influences the results but I don't know. The game was also packaged with a peripheral known as the spectrum communicator to enhance the reception you can get. However, you can play the game without it, the only (official) requirement is that the console that you play the game on must be a Game Boy Color. Hope this helps.

it's not actually doing anything with the data, it's only paying attention to intensity.

Date: 2019-01-30 12:19:05

I meant in the context of this particular game. GSC Mystery Gift looked for a specific IR signal, not just any light source. (Or did it?)

It's good to know those general details about it, anyhow.

it's not actually doing anything with the data, it's only paying attention to intensity.

Oh. OK. Hmm, yes. I think there is at least one minigame that checks IR too, so if there is any other type of checking it may be to do with that minigame.

Date: 2019-01-30 22:28:13
I only saw 2 funcs for it, one in ROM bank FC (for the intro) and one in bank F0 (for the stat bar thing, food maybe?). They did it kinda weird so it was easy to find the other one.
I didn't see any other funcs for IR, so if it actually involves data over IR, it's gonna draw pure FFs…

Date: 2019-02-08 07:51:33
Got 31 in the cooking minigame on Nonono Puzzle Chailien, 441 on the walking one, and a few other puzzles…then saw I had to start from the beginning after going back to the Home menu. Looks like I'll need to くく around with SRAM patches a bit, or more likely actually use a Retroarch core or my McVita. Fun game, though! The way the numbers increment when you form lines in the puzzles isn't a mechanic I've seen anywhere else.

Date: 2019-02-08 13:43:40

Got 31 in the cooking minigame on Nonono Puzzle Chailien, 441 on the walking one, and a few other puzzles…then saw I had to start from the beginning after going back to the Home menu. Looks like I'll need to くく around with SRAM patches a bit, or more likely actually use a Retroarch core or my McVita. Fun game, though! The way the numbers increment when you form lines in the puzzles isn't a mechanic I've seen anywhere else.

Cool! I see, the game is supposed to automatically save so there is likely an emulation issue. Yeah, the last minigame Kurupachi 6 (Spin Six) is the largest one. Glad you like the game. :)

Date: 2019-04-22 06:21:03

Omg we used to have 'GoGo's' which are small creatures you could get in certain stores by buying past 20 euros, they quickly became a hype and were sold individually after that. The designs in the book page match some of the gogo's perfctly, and it definitely isn't coincidence! i might try to find some of mine later today, and show the ones that match!

That's lovely! ^_^ Thank you for offering to show them. Sorry, I'm unsure if I'm convinced if they are related, but that's quite interesting. I believe the GoGos are acknowledged in my home country too, and I saw a second-hand GoGo's DS game and thought of you, and because I like to collect 'mon'/collection focused games I bought it.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/OTPEkNp.png[/img]