Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

Genetics Alteration - Page 1

Genetics Alteration

Posted by: RPBnimrod
Date: 2007-12-19 12:09:52
Genetic altering can mutate plants and animals so that they do things not intended in nature. In fact you've probably already eaten a genetically altered vegetable. What's your opinion on genetics alterations?

Re: Genetics Alteration

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2007-12-19 13:51:00
Genetics altering is cool, forget nature.

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-12-19 13:55:08
What if we genetically alter creatures and end up with near-monsters, then sell them as pets?! They do this in Japan-they sell small fish genetically altered by having jellyfish (a deadly species) DNA added to them when they were embryos. They look like ordinary fish with jellyfish tentecles. And mind you, touching these will likely kill you. They put them in the shop and sell them as pets. WTF?!?!?!?

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-12-19 15:33:28
I like the fact it is a leading question, like "Do you think that this book, which everyone likes, is good?" or "Do you like the ultimate evil that is animal hunting (because if you do you should be shot)?"

You need to make polls which don't have a prefered answer in the question.

Not to mention the answers which are extremist.

Date: 2007-12-19 18:46:30

Nature is supposed to do this, we're not supposed to make plants that will ruin the eco-system by altering the seeds to kill any bug that touches them. Ladybugs are supposed to eat afids, not be killed with everything else. >:(

Date: 2007-12-19 18:51:49

Nature is supposed to do this, we're not supposed to make plants that will ruin the eco-system by altering the seeds to kill any bug that touches them. Ladybugs are supposed to eat afids, not be killed with everything else. >:(
I just copies tand pasted the option I chose. But I do think that nature is very important.

Date: 2007-12-19 18:59:22
I'm basically fine with animal genetics if it's something like a mix between a horse and a zebra, which are two animals that are closely species related. What I'm not fine with are things like these baby mice who as ebryose (how do you spell that!) were injected with bioluminescent jellyfish genes. not fake

Date: 2007-12-19 19:06:38

I'm basically fine with animal genetics if it's something like a mix between a horse and a zebra, which are two animals that are closely species related. What I'm not fine with are things like these baby mice who as ebryose (how do you spell that!) were injected with bioluminescent jellyfish genes. not fake
Do the mice have to live in water?

Date: 2007-12-19 19:08:24
No, the scientists only added the bioluminescence genes, not entire jellyfish data genes.

Date: 2007-12-19 19:18:23
What if we did this to human embryos?!

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2007-12-19 19:24:53

We'd have cool looking babies.

Genetic engineering is supper cool and useful. Using genetic engineering, humans could potentially make cures for things like cancer. If nature says I'm going to die of cancer, I'm not going to be ok with that. I want a cure and I want to live. That is what nature intended, for things to live, not die.

Date: 2007-12-19 19:28:28
Not that, I meant, adding DNA from other animals?

Date: 2007-12-19 19:29:53

I was actualy going to say this:

Scientists are actually thinking about this, because if we humans ever travel to far-distance planets we will need other animal genes. For instance, cosmic rays would normally give astronauts cancer from radiation, but if we injected human embreos with cockroach DNA we could survive almost any level of radiation. Although, for each planet, we would have humans that look completly different from us. I'm a science geek, I know. :P

Date: 2007-12-19 19:36:41
That's kind of creepy.

Date: 2007-12-19 19:46:28
Here's a link to what will make you think differently about plant gene altering.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~evel/n5m/helentxt.html