Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

Genetics Alteration - Page 2

Re: Genetics Alteration

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-12-19 20:00:51

I'm basically fine with animal genetics if it's something like a mix between a horse and a zebra, which are two animals that are closely species related. What I'm not fine with are things like these baby mice who as ebryose (how do you spell that!) were injected with bioluminescent jellyfish genes. not fake

I don't see a problem with glow-in-the-dark mice.

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-12-19 20:04:10
What if they make glow-in-the dark humans? Or humans with necks as tall as a giraffe's? Or humans with 8 legs like a spider?!

Posted by: RPBnimrod
Date: 2007-12-19 20:05:11

What if we did this to human embryos?!

We'd have cool looking babies.

Genetic engineering is supper cool and useful. Using genetic engineering, humans could potentially make cures for things like cancer. If nature says I'm going to die of cancer, I'm not going to be ok with that. I want a cure and I want to live. That is what nature intended, for things to live, not die.

HOW DARE YOU tell us what nature intended?

Date: 2007-12-19 20:08:10

I'm basically fine with animal genetics if it's something like a mix between a horse and a zebra, which are two animals that are closely species related. What I'm not fine with are things like these baby mice who as ebryose (how do you spell that!) were injected with bioluminescent jellyfish genes. not fake

I don't see a problem with glow-in-the-dark mice.

sorry to double post, but I think that's almost fine. But think about it, if one of those mice escaped and bred with a regular mouse there would be thousands of glowing mice which may sound cool but it would destroy the natural balence more then it's already off-balence.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2007-12-19 20:37:16

What if they make glow-in-the dark humans? Or humans with necks as tall as a giraffe's? Or humans with 8 legs like a spider?!
1st, I like!
2nd, OK….
3rd Cool.

Date: 2007-12-19 20:44:18
One thing you people don't understand is that the vegetables we mostly eat are genetically altered with growth hormones and other fun stuff that makes your body do things it shouldn't do. And some of these gene things COULD give you cancer, not cure you. >:(

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2007-12-19 21:19:59
Eh, we already fucked up the world too much. If we humans wish to live along with their pets, food animals, etc, genetic alteration may be required.

Date: 2007-12-19 22:30:11

Eh, we already f**ked up the world too much. If we humans wish to live along with their pets, food animals, etc, genetic alteration may be required.

Thank you God and Kyoukipichi! Someone understands what I'm saying.

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2007-12-19 22:35:22

What if we did this to human embryos?!

We'd have cool looking babies.

Genetic engineering is supper cool and useful. Using genetic engineering, humans could potentially make cures for things like cancer. If nature says I'm going to die of cancer, I'm not going to be ok with that. I want a cure and I want to live. That is what nature intended, for things to live, not die.

HOW DARE YOU tell us what nature intended?

How dare you tell us what nature didn't intend!
Also if glow in the dark mice infected the world, if it did anything at all, nature would adapt.

Date: 2007-12-19 22:37:24

BUT WHAT ABOUT THOSE?! They could actually do that!

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2007-12-19 22:41:55

They'd be outcasts, of course. Although, the first and third one seems kinda cool. XD

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2007-12-19 22:45:01

They'd be outcasts, of course. Although, the first and third one seems kinda cool. XD
Agreed

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-12-19 23:07:29
Genetic alteration could be a very good thing if the research gets far enough along. I wouldn't want it done to myself physically, of course (just like how no matter how convenient I would never want a microchip under my skin), but if others want to do it to themselves, sure. People have already been receiving arteries from pigs and that sort of thing, which isn't quite the same thing but along the same lines.

Fun fact: Selective breeding is one form of genetic alteration. Modern cornstalks are much larger than the minuscule things that used to be grown centuries ago. Would you say it's a bad thing that we developed this?

Date: 2007-12-19 23:15:28
Good point. But we don't need people with giraffe necks or spider legs or whale flippers or whatever body parts from animals there are, what would you do if you met someone like that?

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-12-19 23:49:02
Based on the current level of sophistication of such things, I'd say if you ever come across someone like that they're very, very rich or have way too much time on their hands. Like that guy who tattooed his entire body to look like lizard scales and forked his tongue. What would you do?