Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

Genetics Alteration - Page 3

Re: Genetics Alteration

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2007-12-19 23:56:41
F**k no, leave that to nature

Posted by: RPBnimrod
Date: 2007-12-20 02:07:56

What if they make glow-in-the dark humans? Or humans with necks as tall as a giraffe's? Or humans with 8 legs like a spider?!

BUT WHAT ABOUT THOSE?! They could actually do that!

have you ever seen the movie The Fly? If not, I suggest it to you because it has all sorts of crap in it like this, only sci-fi

Date: 2007-12-20 02:10:35

Genetic alteration could be a very good thing if the research gets far enough along. I wouldn't want it done to myself physically, of course (just like how no matter how convenient I would never want a microchip under my skin), but if others want to do it to themselves, sure. People have already been receiving arteries from pigs and that sort of thing, which isn't quite the same thing but along the same lines.

Fun fact: Selective breeding is one form of genetic alteration. Modern cornstalks are much larger than the minuscule things that used to be grown centuries ago. Would you say it's a bad thing that we developed this?

I would say it's a bad thing, we're humanizing the Earth in unatural, self-hating creatures that are mutated for our mentally fucked up in the mind pleasures.

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2007-12-20 07:31:06

Genetic alteration could be a very good thing if the research gets far enough along. I wouldn't want it done to myself physically, of course (just like how no matter how convenient I would never want a microchip under my skin), but if others want to do it to themselves, sure. People have already been receiving arteries from pigs and that sort of thing, which isn't quite the same thing but along the same lines.

Fun fact: Selective breeding is one form of genetic alteration. Modern cornstalks are much larger than the minuscule things that used to be grown centuries ago. Would you say it's a bad thing that we developed this?

I would say it's a bad thing, we're humanizing the Earth in unatural, self-hating creatures that are mutated for our mentally fucked up in the mind pleasures.

Well because we are the strongest and smartest animals, we can do whatever the fuck we want. and, looking at history, we have.

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-12-20 09:07:27
But do we want half-human, half-animals and sell them as pets?

Date: 2007-12-20 09:31:03

Well just because were powerful doesn't mean we don't have morals. Making twisted creations like half bird half human then selling it off would just be cruel. So we don't want twisted fusions of animals running around, but thats not whats its about. it's about finding cures to things like cancer and other deadly things. Its also to understand the environment we live in. The human genome project is to decode human DNA for the sake of knowledge,  not to mutate humans into monsters. So in the end it would all be for the better, changing humans to live better and longer. There will always be the smart sicko bent on fusing people with animals, but theres nothing you can do about that. Unless we eradicate evil from the human brain with genetic engineering, but that I doubt.

Date: 2007-12-20 09:36:05
Nor do we need people with giraffe necks or bird wings or rattlesnake rattles…

But the problem is, should people really live forever? Yes, we were intended to live, but obviously, since we die and nobody does live forever, we were intended not to live forever and to die and some point. Are you saying that humans should live forever?

And about the half human half animal thing, I have heard of some scientific studies proposing to do just that.

Date: 2007-12-20 09:40:48

But the problem is, should people really live forever? Yes, we were intended to live, but obviously, since we die and nobody does live forever, we were intended not to live forever and to die and some point. Are you saying that humans should live forever?

And about the half human half animal thing, I have heard of some scientific studies proposing to do just that.

Well no one can live forever till we learn fully about the brain, the only organ we can just replace. Until we map most or all of the brain, which will be a long time, humans will die when there brain gives out. And no one should live forever anyway. Some people like the idea of cheating death and freezing them self to be brought back in the future. Thats fine and cool, but the idea of someone living forever is not a good one, people need to pass it on to the next generation, not keep it to them self's.

Also RPBnimrod, I made you poll and first post, unbiased.  You cant set up a rig poll like that.
Rigged poll example:
1) Yes I love that idea I'm an angle lovering person Etc Etc
2) No that idea sucks and I'm a evil Nazi bitch Etc Etc

People, regardless of there ideas., don't want to be called Nazi's just because they don't agree with you. Don't do it another time.

Date: 2007-12-20 12:55:06

Well no one can live forever till we learn fully about the brain, the only organ we can just replace. Until we map most or all of the brain, which will be a long time, humans will die when there brain gives out. And no one should live forever anyway. Some people like the idea of cheating death and freezing them self to be brought back in the future. Thats fine and cool, but the idea of someone living forever is not a good one, people need to pass it on to the next generation, not keep it to them self's.

Also RPBnimrod, I made you poll and first post, unbiased.  You cant set up a rig poll like that.
Rigged poll example:
1) Yes I love that idea I'm an angle lovering person Etc Etc
2) No that idea sucks and I'm a evil Nazi bitch Etc Etc

People, regardless of there ideas., don't want to be called Nazi's just because they don't agree with you. Don't do it another time.

I'm sorry, I got carried away. It's just that I read an article about this food company that has genetically altered the genes of their produce so that it will do shit that wasn't intended in nature, an example would be that they engineer the plant seeds to kill any insect including good ones that touch it. The reason I got sooo pissed off is that the plants aren't in labs, but are in open farms where the plant's pollen is swept up and bred accidently with natural plants. This causes this genetically altered plant's genes to be fused with the seeds of the origonal, thus causing the world's plants to fuck up the future world's natural system. If you don't understand why this is bad, think about it. The creatures that eat this plant will all die and the creatures that eat them or are eaten by them will either overpopulate the world or go extinct. I hope SOMEONE understands my point.

Date: 2007-12-20 13:01:24

sorry to double post, but we humans are a type of animal too.

Date: 2007-12-20 13:03:36
You know what I mean.

Date: 2007-12-20 13:07:52
One more thing, scientists haven't gotten even close to messing with human genetics yet, just ideas for the possible future of space travel.