Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

Global Warming, Oil, Gas Prices, Alternate Resources, etc. - Page 1

Global Warming, Oil, Gas Prices, Alternate Resources, etc.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2008-04-16 21:51:39
I originally was going to make this a blog, but… that function is down, so this will have to do.

One thing that really tans my hide is Daylight "Savings" Time. For one thing, the amount of daylight in a day cannot be changed by advancing a clock an hour, and yet, we continue to do it every year. Even worse, now we must do it even earlier in the year. I've no idea why this action was taken, but if I do remember correctly, some progressives' reasoning was that it conserved energy usage. Well, a study done in Indiana, comparing previous years' energy use levels to this year's energy use levels (Indiana just recently converted to DST), shows that the exact opposite was true, which was no news to me. Of course, in the network news' presentation, they claimed that the "social benefits outweigh the energy cost."
To this I offer the following rebuttal: [size=6]BULL s**t[/size]
If this country is so concerned with being "green" or whatever, then why keep such an inefficient policy?
I can only conclude that it's a conspiracy by the power companies. Now, I came up with an alternative to DST many years ago, in the 5th grade, I believe. It's the exact opposite of DST, designed to cancel the changes in the hours the sun is out that occur through the year, opposed to the current system which exacerbates the effect. In my system, it's "fall forward, spring back". Granted, I haven't worked it out on paper yet, so I can't be sure of it. I'd be fine with just staying in standard time al year.

At this time the gas prices have reaches $3.75 a gallon, I believe. The immediate response I hear is that in (insert country or state here) the price of gas is even higher. I learned something recently. In those places, the higher price is due to added taxes on the gas. So let me elaborate. The price is $3.75 a gallon without added taxes. It's time to stop this. If those pricks don't want to sell the U.S. reasonably-priced oil, fine. Screw them. Let's use our own oil.
Adding ethanol to gas is a joke. It fucks up old cars, for one. IT should also be noted that with all the work that goes into it, all cost and environmental benefits that would come from using ethanol are negated.
Surprisingly enough, oil is a self-renewing resource, albeit slowly. However, this isn't really much a problem, as we have a shitload already, and what else are we going to use it for? Producing ethanol, on the other hand, exhausts the soil. If left unchecked, we may have a problem of infertile soil, much like we had in the past because of cotton.

Lastly, the issue of global warming. So… we have the crisis of too much greenhouse gases. Well, pardon me, but isn't ozone a greenhouse gas? Didn't we not have enough of that in the last decade? If I'm wrong in this point, please let me know so I can get my facts straight. From my point of view, it's actually gotten much cooler in the last two years, rather than warming up like it's supposed to.
One of the greatest phenomena is the fact that Nature has a way of fixing itself. Anytime we try to fix a problem, we end up really fucking things up. If there's too much carbon dioxide, no problem. CO2 actually accelerates plant growth, and as we all know, plants convert it into oxygen. When I brought this up to someone, he responded that this is being hindered because of deforestation. Well, excuse me, but wtf about the vast amount of algae in freshwater and phytoplankton in saltwater? That surely makes up for those forests, which, btw, the U.S. does not cut down.
I have seen some evidence which suggests that global warming is not caused by increased CO2 levels, but by increasing solar temperatures, and is therefore out of our control.

Wow. I just roughly wrote an essay. Now why the hell can't I do this when it comes to schoolwork?

Re: Global Warming, Oil, Gas Prices, Alternate Resources, etc.

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2008-04-16 22:26:28
Well, unlike I expected, I agree with most of what you said.

but if I do remember correctly, some progressives' reasoning was that it conserved energy usage

Not really, It was Benjamin Franklin who suggested daylight savings and it was to conserve candles because with more daylight hours, then less need for candles. So it was for energy, just not the modern examples you're giving.

Adding ethanol to gas is a joke

YES Not much more to say there.

If those pricks don't want to sell the U.S. reasonably-priced oil, fine. Screw them. Let's use our own oil.
Good first part of idea. Screw them, they suck. But instead of our oil, use our natural resources. Such as wind, solar, natural gas, and, my personal favorite, Biodiesel.

One of the greatest phenomena is the fact that Nature has a way of fixing itself. Anytime we try to fix a problem, we end up really fucking things up.

Well yes but if you shoot someone, they can recover, if you riddle the torso full of bullets, recovery is not happing. At this point, we're opening fire with an AK onto nature.

And on your topic on global warming in general, you're somewhat right, it is natural. But humans aren't exactly helping out by spewing all the s**t we spew into the world. The burning of gas, plastics, other toxins. The burring of nuclear waste, this is all bad. So true it might be natural, humans should fix the mess they have created. Which is putting all this stuff into the earth. Let's Stop.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2008-04-16 22:36:47
but if I do remember correctly, some progressives' reasoning was that it conserved energy usage

Not really, It was Benjamin Franklin who suggested daylight savings and it was to conserve candles because with more daylight hours, then less need for candles. So it was for energy, just not the modern examples you're giving.

True, but I was stating that I heard people defending DST in the present with that argument.

Date: 2008-04-16 22:45:57

True, but I was stating that I heard people defending DST in the present with that argument.

Oh all right, then your point is right, its B.S. It was made for light not energy.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-04-30 20:31:31
No, DST serves no real purpose nowadays. It's one of those archaic things that they threw up a couple hundred years ago and no one's seen fit to get rid of even though it's not doing us any good.

My computer's clock is still adjusted for DST. I haven't bothered to fix it yet.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-04-30 21:06:40
Ok, the big text blend bug is getting annoying. *pokes the big text that says bullshit* It's overlapping smaller text.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2008-04-30 21:19:23
Global warming= myth
IT DOES NOT EXIST!

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-05-01 02:18:40

Ok, the big text blend bug is getting annoying. *pokes the big text that says bullshit* It's overlapping smaller text.

maybe it's time to get a browser that can actually display HTML correctly?

Global warming= myth
IT DOES NOT EXIST!

People who actually know what they're talking about tend to disagree with you.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2008-05-01 14:40:15

Well, pardon me, but isn't ozone a greenhouse gas?

It is, But so is Oxygen anyway. Ozone is a better insulator of heat because it is a heavier gas. Heavier than Carbon Dioxide so would reflect more heat than any other greenhouse gas. Problem is with your argument is Ozone has always been there and is not being added, it isn't contributing to global warming, it just keeps are planet warm in the first place and we need it because it's larger mass absorbs UVs. The problem isn't with greenhouse gases it is the adding of them. It is like having a greenhouse in Iceland. The greenhouse gases keep the plants warm enough to grow, same with our planet, the void of space is a pretty cold an inhospitable place. Look at Mars which could have been like this planet if it was a bit warmer. We add the extra greenhouse around the edge of the first one, this supports the plants of a hotter climate, problem is we aren't from that climate and we would struggle to live. We are now in a climate which is from a time that was dominated by cold blooded lizards that needed the heat, mammals were rare things. We have the atmosphere of the Dinosaur age as this is where the oil started to develop and the gases were locked up slowly. If the heating is infact from the sun, then the added effect would be beyond the stage we burn ourselves to. For example an extreme case, We manage to burn enough fuel to take the atmosphere to Dinosaur levels, which is estimated to be 10 degrees hotter. Added the increase of heat from the sun, we have say 15 degrees hotter because of gradual increase we have an average that is so high that we get massive forest fires and many animals die. This mass death adds more to the temperature so on an so forth intill elements themselves act differently due to the sheer heat and the planet ends up a bit like Venus.

In brief you can't deny that gases don't change the temperature of the planet because we would freeze without greenhouse gases. Thus adding them must be doing something, and if it isn't tempterature based, what is it?

The rest of your very right-wing stuff has some stuff I could argue with. Though I also don't know why we have time changes though apparently it makes a big difference in the far north.
I just want to point out that the vast number of right-wing people will end up with Global Warming hitting us and still deny it when the climate gets the better of us. Unfortunately there seems to be too many people with that thought in America and the politics will stay like the general thought and nothing will get done.

BTW do I sound like I know what I am talking about Abwayax? :P

Date: 2008-05-01 14:48:54
I now think global warming is due to the sun getting closer to the Earth (or the other way around). Eventually, I think the Earth and sun will get so close, that Life as we know it will end, due to the sun's gravitational pull on the solar system. eventually, the sun will destroy the solar system, "eat" itself and thus destroy itself in the process. sound like a good theory?

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2008-05-01 15:01:03
You seem to be implying that the Earth has enough gravity to pull the Sun closer. I think that us adding gases is slightly less radical than that. Anyway, if we were slowly moving closer we would have shorter years. And isn't the theory that it is burning hotter, not we are getting closer?

Date: 2008-05-01 18:18:21
err… What?

Date: 2008-05-01 19:36:26

err… What?

Err… he means your "theory" is retarded. You have no evidence, no proof and no science backing your claims. In fact, most science contradicts your theory.

Anyways, Global Warming is no myth. Everyone, you being an exception, knows Global Warming exists. The bigger debate is if its humans causing it or if its natural. [size=3pt]I say that its a combination of the two[/size] So some knowledge and information in your posts would really help your case.

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2008-05-02 17:10:07

Global warming= myth
IT DOES NOT EXIST!

My god, they've gotten to you.

Alright, first off, one annoying thing that some people have said to me: "It's just a theory, it hasn't been proven."
Uh, no. It has been proven scientifically. Also: the sun getting closer to the earth idea not only has a lot of scientific evidence to disprove it, it has almost no though at all. By the time the sun got close enough to greatly affect the earth at the scale global warming has, Mercury would be long gone. And last we checked, it was still there.

Date: 2008-05-05 09:30:50
Either that, or the Earths core is heating up.

Anyway, What about the Energy we use? Once we use up all the fossil fuels, what will we do? We practically rely on the stuff.