Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

2012 - Page 2

Re: 2012

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-06-04 17:57:32

The rub is that they actually believe that we would die of flooding.

It floods sometimes here in Washington, but a MAJOR flood?

SWIM AWAY!!!!

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-06-08 21:16:50
Here's something great:

The astronomer Philip Plait has stated very clearly that the Mayan calendar does not end in 2012 at all, that it is like the odometer on your car, as each section of the odometer reaches 9 and then clicks over to 0, the next number to it starts a new cycle, so that when all the numbers again reach 0 all the way across the odometer - the last number will change from 1 to 2 and the new cycle starts all over again.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-06-08 23:57:04

radiotherapeutical (sp?)

Here's something great:

The astronomer Philip Plait has stated very clearly that the Mayan calendar does not end in 2012 at all, that it is like the odometer on your car, as each section of the odometer reaches 9 and then clicks over to 0, the next number to it starts a new cycle, so that when all the numbers again reach 0 all the way across the odometer - the last number will change from 1 to 2 and the new cycle starts all over again.

Excellent evidence for the world NOT ending in 2012.
Even if the Mayans didn't predict a giant flood would happen (which, you'll note, they actually didn't), we would still come up with an imminent doomsday scenario so that we can be irresponsible. For instance, in the coming years, perhaps crime rates will rise due to the belief that anything we do won't matter because the world is going to end. It's normal. People have been predicting the end of the world since the beginning of time, from the Book of Revelations (portrayed humorously in the book "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett) to the Hindi Iron Age (which we are currently in.) So it's not terribly surprising that this myth is gaining supporters.

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-06-09 14:34:26
OH MY GOD OSAMA IS BLOWING UP THE WORLD AT 2012. OH MY GOD WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!! RUN MY BROTHERS, RUN MY SISTERS!

Date: 2009-06-09 18:23:18

OH MY GOD OSAMA IS BLOWING UP THE WORLD AT 2012. OH MY GOD WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!! RUN MY BROTHERS, RUN MY SISTERS!

Korea will sell nukes to Osama, then Osama will blow up the world.

Date: 2009-06-11 08:21:17
Correct my epic freind, CORRECT!

Date: 2009-06-11 10:52:17

So why would Korea sell nukes to Osama bin Laden if he's going to blow up the world with them? You can get more money, but not a new planet (unless Korea has a Warp craft and coordinates for an inhabitable planet.) If I was going to bring about Armageddon, I would simply launch one nuke and watch the world annihilate itself with paranoia from space.

Date: 2009-06-11 11:21:19

So why would Korea sell nukes to Osama bin Laden if he's going to blow up the world with them? You can get more money, but not a new planet (unless Korea has a Warp craft and coordinates for an inhabitable planet.) If I was going to bring about Armageddon, I would simply launch one nuke and watch the world annihilate itself with paranoia from space.

Because the government is out to get us man! The U.S. government has planned this all along, and they've been keeping it from us man!

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2009-06-11 19:15:10

Because the government is out to get us man! The U.S. government has planned this all along, and they've been keeping it from us man!

I cant tell if your joking or if you share the same beliefs as a stoned hippy from the 60's. Now its a debate board, so can we please keep some level of serious going in these topics. I don't mind humor and sarcasm, far from it, but it really waters down a debate when its overused extremely. Even if the debate is, or has so far turned out to be, one sided, a level of seriousness makes the topic enjoyable for everyone to read, not just those in on the joke. Thanks guys. 

Date: 2009-06-11 20:07:08

I cant tell if your joking or if you share the same beliefs as a stoned hippy from the 60's. Now its a debate board, so can we please keep some level of serious going in these topics. I don't mind humor and sarcasm, far from it, but it really waters down a debate when its overused extremely. Even if the debate is, or has so far turned out to be, one sided, a level of seriousness makes the topic enjoyable for everyone to read, not just those in on the joke. Thanks guys. 

I never thought that 2012 would happen. 2012 is a myth. Plus, in the Bible, God said that no one would know when the world would end.

Date: 2009-06-11 21:05:26

I never thought that 2012 would happen. 2012 is a myth. Plus, in the Bible, God said that no one would know when the world would end.

Whether or not you think 2012 will be the end of the world, it's nice to be a bit more serious and less hippie-ish. Anyways, the Bible is talking about Armageddon, not 2012. There's a pretty big difference between giant floods and the Four Horsemen (or Motorcyclists, depending on who you talk to) of the Apocalypse.
Tachi, I know you weren't really serious, but even if the U.S. government is out to get us and somehow the Mayans knew exactly when they would, it's unlikely that they would blow their own country up. That's the problem with people threatening to destroy the world - they won't, because they have nowhere else to go. Unless they're crazy or they come from a different planet or they think God/Allah/Buddha/Shiva/the Flying Spaghetti Monster/the Antichrist (for those Satanists out there)/whatever deity(ies) they worship wants them to.

Date: 2009-06-17 19:25:07

You really saddened me Zach the glitch buster. I thought you were a man of humor and not super serious. I guess I was wrong. You really disapointed me!

Whether or not you think 2012 will be the end of the world, it's nice to be a bit more serious and less hippie-ish. Anyways, the Bible is talking about Armageddon, not 2012. There's a pretty big difference between giant floods and the Four Horsemen (or Motorcyclists, depending on who you talk to) of the Apocalypse.
Tachi, I know you weren't really serious, but even if the U.S. government is out to get us and somehow the Mayans knew exactly when they would, it's unlikely that they would blow their own country up. That's the problem with people threatening to destroy the world - they won't, because they have nowhere else to go. Unless they're crazy or they come from a different planet or they think God/Allah/Buddha/Shiva/the Flying Spaghetti Monster/the Antichrist (for those Satanists out there)/whatever deity(ies) they worship wants them to.

Are you an aethiest?

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2009-06-18 10:01:22
Does it matter?

Meh, I think 2012 is still gonna happen. I mean, most big calendars I've seen still have 2012 on them, plus it would be silly to assume they'd skip a year in the calendar.

…oh, you mean the end of the world in 2012. Armageddon's not my problem.

edit: sorry to end the quote train (hurf durf)

Date: 2009-06-18 10:07:23

Does it matter?

Meh, I think 2012 is still gonna happen. I mean, most big calendars I've seen still have 2012 on them, plus it would be silly to assume they'd skip a year in the calendar.

…oh, you mean the end of the world in 2012. Armageddon's not my problem.

edit: sorry to end the quote train (hurf durf)

Maybe it will be destroyed on the last minute before 2013. Ever thought of that?

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2009-06-18 11:33:52
I was making a sarcastic remark due to the constant use of "2012" as a term for the end of the world. I think the hype is silly and should be ignored.