Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Debate Wars

2012 - Page 3

Re: 2012

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-06-18 11:36:57

I was making a sarcastic remark due to the constant use of "2012" as a term for the end of the world. I think the hype is silly and should be ignored.

I think that it is likely that the world will end in 2012 due ot the earth's location in space and economic problems in the U.S. and Peace is starting (it seems like it, but terrorist groups are still out. but don't you think it is likely to stop soon?) to settle in the holy lands. It's a weird coincidence!

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2009-06-18 12:30:32
Due to the earth's location in space? Please elaborate.

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-06-18 12:37:32
we are in a position where the Earth is gathering more heat from the sun, resulting in Global warming. When all of the northern Ice region melts it could switch the positions of the ocean's currents. Thus resulting in changed wheather patterns, which could result in another Ice Age. Killing our crops we would be forced to move, destroying government. No government, no order. No order results in chaos.

Posted by: Sarial
Date: 2009-06-19 12:59:46
I think 2038 is another year we have to worry about, because of that whole Unix time thing o_O;;

And just to think, Mac OS X and Linux users will be affected in 2038, but they'll probably be updated to use 64-bit Unix time by then, so basically the only thing that will be affected by the Y2K38 bug is embedded systems, like ATMs, cash registers, and cable boxes…

Just imagine how many things we take for granted are powered by an embedded system which uses that 32-bit Unix timestamp, they'll start fucking up because they'll think it's 1901 instead of 2038 >_>

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2009-06-19 22:44:23

I think 2038 is another year we have to worry about, because of that whole Unix time thing o_O;;

And just to think, Mac OS X and Linux users will be affected in 2038, but they'll probably be updated to use 64-bit Unix time by then, so basically the only thing that will be affected by the Y2K38 bug is embedded systems, like ATMs, cash registers, and cable boxes…

Just imagine how many things we take for granted are powered by an embedded system which uses that 32-bit Unix timestamp, they'll start fucking up because they'll think it's 1901 instead of 2038 >_>

Doesn't everyone remember Y2K and how computers didn't care what year it was? Because, who cares if the year reads 1901 over any other date. It doesn't really matter.