Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Annoying problem - Page 1

Annoying problem

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-02-28 03:22:59
This issue, I have is computer related. Now for the last few months, I got a HP laptop for my 20th birthday, last year that has Vista, that pretty much sucks but is better than nothing and lately from the file System32, a MS-DOS programme keeps auto starting everything my laptop turns on and goes to desktop, and it appeared everyday. It's called COMMAND.COM, and lately it keeps showing up saying about something not correct programme or something, coming from Drive C. Now I've checked about Conficker and that seems to sort of trigger like programes to auto start, but my Avast! Anti-Virus Home Edition hasn't been able to pick up the worm. I haven't noticed any other problems Conficker causes other than Command, keeps appearing when Windows starts and my Windows Defender says about blocked programes, and there's command.com, and to others are appear as N/A. I'm not sure what's going on nor now to stop it from happening again. I've got Windows Defender to disable it, or deny command's, auto run but it doesn't and so what can I do? I would of sorted this out myself if I could remember.

Re: Annoying problem

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-02-28 08:22:04
COMMAND.COM is a legitimate program that is probably not causing problems in and of itself. Can you take a screenshot of the error you get?

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-02-28 10:18:34
Install Windows 7 beta, then Windows 7 RC and final when they come out.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-02-28 10:46:09
Never advise anyone to install beta software. Betas are not intended for use beyond beta testing.

Date: 2009-02-28 11:50:04
It's already been tested more stable than Windows Vista SP1.

(I had a link, but I deleted it by misteakā€¦)

Date: 2009-02-28 13:26:49
Okay, sorry the screenshot sucks, as Command appears but likes to vanish quickly so I managed to get it but there's no words in the picture as it sometimes shows up then is gone again. I did get a picture of Windows Defender about the blocked programes list. Not sure if that would help, and the file it says about I've removed it but command still shows up.

Command.com
[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj291/TeamRocketMutouYami/Command.png[/img]

[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj291/TeamRocketMutouYami/Listofprogrames.png[/img]

Date: 2009-02-28 15:18:19
Delete command.com and A2HIGHIN.EXE and then reinstall Windows.

Date: 2009-02-28 15:27:42
I have no Windows Vista: Home Premium CD. If you think deleting and killing my laptop is gonna solve it, it won't. I have too much important stuff on here and the reason I got a laptop was so I could move about the flat a bit, sit outside when the weather gets better, not to murder it over a issue with one of the programes. I've not had this problem before with a MS-DOS programe suddenly popping up. I've had blue screens of death, from my PC but not this.

Date: 2009-02-28 15:50:06

Delete command.com and A2HIGHIN.EXE and then reinstall Windows.

Bad advice; command.com is a real program that is needed for some DOS programs to work correctly. And reinstall Windows? Seriously?

Yami, if it doesn?t actually cause problems I would just leave it be. It sounds to me like the window just pops up once on startup? That?s not intrusive, probably not a virus, and definitely not Conficker. Not a problem.

You say you?ve deleted A2HIGHIN.EXE, and it hasn?t come back? Then nothing to worry about. I suppose if you really wanted to you could run regedit and delete the key associated with the program (in Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce), but I doubt it would affect anything either way.

Date: 2009-02-28 16:00:23
It's doing my head in. It's never did anything before but now it keeps appearing and it's starting to piss me off. Deleting a system file, would seriously fuck up the computer. I've done scans, and scans and there's nothing on here harming the computer. It keeps saying something about in Drive C, but I can't get the screenshot quick enough without it vanishing faster than I can get the picture. I would post what it says but it goes too quickly for me to memorize what it says. I've done quick-scans on the System32 file, and nothing is there. I would of noticed if it was Conficker A, or Conficker B, due to their routine, I was reading about it and no signs of what they do has occured.

Date: 2009-02-28 16:40:09
Don?t worry about it. You don?t have a virus, and the window probably doesn?t do anything important.

Date: 2009-02-28 17:28:30
I guess but it's annoying. Seems like not a lot can be done minus, Shinji's idea, which I'll avoid. Last time a system file was deleted permanently all I had left was a dead computer. (My mother deleted the whole system.) I guess this can be locked.

Date: 2009-03-01 00:13:40
Sorry for the double post, but I've finally managed to get the picture of the error.

[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj291/TeamRocketMutouYami/CommandError.png[/img]

It you can't read it, it says:

Parameter format not correct - "C:\Program

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2009-03-01 02:22:12
Sounds like it's trying to run something in Program Files, but something forgot to put quotes around the path and so it thinks you're trying to run C:\Program with the argument Files\pathtowhatever.

Date: 2009-03-01 02:40:48
I'm not running anything. It keeps appearing when Windows starts up.