Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Computers and Technology Discussion

Annoying problem - Page 3

Re: Annoying problem

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-03-14 23:43:48
You don't have to put everything into caps, and my parents PC has Spybot, and that doesn't trigger the Command.com to appear. Guess what? What thing about Spybot, was not true. I just uninstailed it completely, restarted the computer like it said, and guess what? Command, still came up. *Sighs* It seems I might be infected with Conficker (which I doubt), Task Manager still works, so I'm gonna try another Antivirus, can has detected Conficker in the wild.

Edit: Okay, Windows Defender is still offline, but I'm gonna run a scan to see what's going on.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-03-15 00:56:59

You don't have to put everything into caps, and my parents PC has Spybot, and that doesn't trigger the Command.com to appear. Guess what? What thing about Spybot, was not true. I just uninstailed it completely, restarted the computer like it said, and guess what? Command, still came up. *Sighs* It seems I might be infected with Conficker (which I doubt), Task Manager still works, so I'm gonna try another Antivirus, can has detected Conficker in the wild.

Edit: Okay, Windows Defender is still offline, but I'm gonna run a scan to see what's going on.

Try Super anti-spyware.
IT can get rid of conficker I believe.

Also, here's a test if you have a usb stick.(only if you have autorun enabled)
Insert a usb stick, take it out and plug it back in again. Autorun should NOT pop up.

Date: 2009-03-15 01:08:42
The only USB Stick I have is for my wireless mouse. My mouse doesn't work without the stick into the side of my laptop. There's no Autorun option on my mouse. I've got McAfee, and it's currently scanning. Something turned off my Windows Defender, I'm not sure if it was McAfee, it would of said about something being turned off or something isn't compatible with it. I did get this email from Ebay, but the thing is I never go to Ebay. I've had loads of e-mails, from Ebay, but only one got opened but this was long later Command was appearing

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-03-15 01:29:27
That e-mail thing would have nothing to dowith it. And I ment a memory stick. Anyway, it may be conficker that disabled it. It disables some antiviruses.

Date: 2009-03-15 02:14:32
McAfee, has just finished and the it said that nothing was found, meaning I'm not infected with Conficker, thank god. I've managed to get Windows Defender back online and it seems to be okay. I'm gonna put Avast back on my computer when McAfee, ends, since I was reading about Conficker and McAfee was one of the antviruses that found Conficker, well one part of it in the wild. There's way to get Conficker, with memory sticks, that can cause an infection, but my memory stick is harmless, I have Broadband, for Internet, and if Command comes back, then there must be something else triggering it off.

Posted by: wesnr
Date: 2009-03-15 08:49:32
Well It Doesn't Seem Like It's A Virus Or Worm…..
Ok Well You Should Go And Find The File That's Starting COMMAND.COM And Google The file Name
Then We Can Try to Go From There ;)

Date: 2009-03-15 09:24:44
I would of known if it was a worm/virus, since I've been around computers, too long and these days if something goes wrong on either my PC or laptop then I know it's infected with either malware or a virus.

Posted by: wesnr
Date: 2009-03-15 09:28:00
Well Sometimes Normal PC Actions Can Mimic What A Virus/Malware Would Do…But Anyway
Hmm…….I'll Try To See If I Can Find Anything On This

Date: 2009-03-15 09:34:51
Well, so far no sign of Command, after I had to restart my laptop from McAfee's updates.  I'll keep an eye on my laptop just incase this problem starts again.

Posted by: MissingNO. #1 Master
Date: 2009-03-16 05:11:24

The only USB Stick I have is for my wireless mouse. My mouse doesn't work without the stick into the side of my laptop. There's no Autorun option on my mouse. I've got McAfee, and it's currently scanning. Something turned off my Windows Defender, I'm not sure if it was McAfee, it would of said about something being turned off or something isn't compatible with it. I did get this email from Ebay, but the thing is I never go to Ebay. I've had loads of e-mails, from Ebay, but only one got opened but this was long later Command was appearing

That Ebay message sounds like a scam. Report to 419 Eater on the double!

Date: 2009-03-16 06:02:10
I just say it's a scam, so it ends up deleted or in my Junk Inbox.

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2009-03-21 12:54:23
Well, even if it is ended, I've just realized what it could be.

Before it happened, did you ever uninstall some form of program? From what it seemed like from your Defender screenshot, it was an uninstaller that didn't correctly clean up properly.

Date: 2009-03-21 21:52:35
Well, no it's been fine since, but now my PC is being the dick this time. I've removed Service Pack 3, and got back to Service Pack 2, and System Restore still isn't working. I HATE Windows XP computers!