Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

2.0 Final: When? Also, will ranks and badges return? - Page 1

2.0 Final: When? Also, will ranks and badges return?

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-04-05 17:15:25
Will ranks and badges return in 2.0 final?  Also, is there any timeframe for the update?

Re: 2.0 Final: When? Also, will ranks and badges return?

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-04-05 21:01:34
No ranks, but we might have badges

also I don't know when Final is coming out, I'm not involved with SMF, you'd have to ask at http://simplemachines.org

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-04-13 20:00:33

also I don't know when Final is coming out, I'm not involved with SMF, you'd have to ask at http://simplemachines.org

Will the shop return?

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2009-04-13 20:04:38

Will the shop return?

If the authors make it compatible with 2.0 Final,
then yes.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-04-13 21:00:12
I got my invitation to my yellow belt (karate) test today, and that made me think:

Why not bring back ranks as colored belts, like in karate?  This time, though, make the advancements by admin approval instead of postcount.

Date: 2009-04-13 21:37:48
It's a nice idea. I'd like for ranks to come back, but postcount ranks encourage speedy "me too" posts and not intelligent responses.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-04-14 09:03:02

I got my invitation to my yellow belt (karate) test today, and that made me think:

Why not bring back ranks as colored belts, like in karate?  This time, though, make the advancements by admin approval instead of postcount.

That sounds like a good idea, but I think that it should be suggestion based, so if you are a higher rank then someone and you think they should go up a rank, you can request it from an admin.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-04-14 09:25:05
Last time, when I was about here, when I was around 16/17, I believe, we had glitch ranks, like MissingNo./'M, and such but spammers just spammed their way up to the next rank, and I believe it's why Abwayax, had them removed because "spamming idiots" as some people call them, the cause for such huge changes to GCL. Badges, sounds like a nice idea, but if we do bring back the ranks and have badges like we do starts, (us mods/admins), wouldn't spammers just do what they did back then? Spam the boards because they want a "higher" rank, when they have to earn their rank like everyone else.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-04-14 19:33:51

So kind of like mini versions of a promotion? Sounds like an interesting idea.

Date: 2009-04-14 20:06:52
Well, either by admin or by consensus inside the Exclusive Board. Most of the stuff I do I take to the Exclusive Board first anyway.

(For those of you not in the know, the Exclusive Board is a semi-exclusive area of the forum where many of the important decisions are made and where most Members+ and Moderators are elected. It's like a council/parliament/congress of the forum. Requiring members to either be elected or appointed in is not meant to make it an exclusive "cool kids only" club but rather to limit decision making to more senior members)

I'm thinking it would be a multi-leveled system. Getting the first "level" would unlock RPs/Forum Games, the second or third "level" would allow one to enter the Exclusive Board, and so on and so forth. Member+ would automatically be "promoted" to this level and several active members will probably be jumped to the first level.

Because I like military ranks I was thinking we could use rank symbols like that, with the successive levels denoted by chevrons. Staff-level users would have officer-ish ranks to denote "official positions". peachY sent me an idea regarding Pokemon-based rank icons but I think this could work alongside it. One of his suggestions was to further subdivide oldbies and members+ based on how much they actually did contribute, so theoretically all oldbies would have an "oldbie" rank icon but some oldbies who contributed more would have one or two more chevrons on their insignia. Hell, maybe we can divide staff and admins like that too (except with something like lieutenant bars or general stars instead of chevrons)

What I'm thinking would be something like

Member: No stripes. Basic access, no Forum Games/RPs or Exclusive Board.
Member First Class: One stripe. Forum Games/RPs (replaces the 50-post barrier)
Senior Member: Two stripes. Forum Games/RPs, has a shot at getting into Member+
Member+ Third Class: Three stripes. FG/RPs + Exclusive Board access.
Member+ Second Class: Four stripes. FG/RPs + Exclusive Board access, "trusted" on the Wiki (edits do not need to be QC'd), able to apply to Staff
Member+ Second Class, Wiki QC agent: Four stripes + star. FG/RPs + Exclusive Board access, "Quality Control" permission on the new wiki, able to apply to Staff
Member+ First Class: Five stripes. FG/RPs + Exclusive Board access, "trusted" on the Wiki, able to apply to Staff
Member+ First Class, Wiki QC agent: Five stripes + star. FG/RPs + Exclusive Board access, "Quality Control" permission on the new wiki, able to apply to Staff

The Member+ ranks are then repeated for Decamark Researchers and Oldbies. I'm actually trying to get people into the Exclusive Board pretty quickly. I don't want it to be an "Elite" group.

Any of the ranks can be conferred on a member by any upper staff member (not just Admins) or by a majority vote in the Exclusive Board. However, currently an Oldbie must be someone who has participated on either Professor Glitch's Forum, TR's Rockin Forum, or in Pokemon Glitch-related discussions at any of the major forums (Serebii, Bulbagarden, PokeCommunity, and I'm sure there are others) since at least November 2004. Decamark Researcher rank is reserved for those who are currently working on the Decamark project, stickied in Glitch Submissions (each level is equivalent to the level of participation in said project).

Here's how Pokemon will tie in with the ranks. A normal member starts out at the first level and has no Pokemon on their rank. When they reach the first rank, they can choose a Pokemon to add to their rank bar (the default, of course, is 'M). Upon reaching successive ranks, they can choose to change, get rid of, or add a Pokemon icon to their rank bar. Additionally, the Pokemon icons can "evolve" upon reaching a rank. If the member doesn't want to partake in any of that, they can simply keep the default 'M icon (the default Pokemon icons added on each successive rank will be random). The rank image will be generated by a dynamic script on the server side and cached until the member moves up in rank.

Distinguished Member, Second Order: Six stripes. All of the above abilities.
Distinguished Member, First Order: Seven stripes. All of the above abilities.

It is not expected that normal members will get past five stripes. The DM rank is reserved for truly notable and groundbreaking individuals.

Edit: As for staff, I'm thinking here's what we'll do.
Local Mod: Ranges from golden bar to silver bar to "glitchy" bar
Global Mod: Ranges from 2 "glitchy" bars (a "Captain") to 1 "glitchy" General star to 2 "glitchy" General stars
Admin: Ranges from 2 "glitchy" General stars to 4. Head admins get a nifty 5-star rank

The same rules regarding Pokemon will apply to these ranks too.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-04-14 20:16:04
Will any of these ranks be postcount based?

Date: 2009-04-14 20:26:42
No.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-04-14 22:20:42
Seems like a good idea Abwayax. All though I'm guessing them with WOM, should have like a rank or some sort to keep an eye on them in case they tend to get outof hand again. All though one of my old forums that died in 06, I used like game-like ranks, and I used like pictures of the rank they were at, as most were from Silent Hill/Resident Evil, and such like here with the glitch ranks we used to have back in 06 when I came here.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-04-15 17:36:39

Head admin

I dislike the group head admin.  Even if you offered me the rank I would not accept it despite the "power" it would give me.

Head Admin has no use and could easily be replace with a more rational and better system.  I even asked and explained how Head Admin worked to Shinji Ikari/MissingNo then subsequently parodied it. (If you want the general script parody, just PM me.)

In fact I have already made such a system that both Yuzihax and Kyoukipichi say are better.

I'll just post it from my Ideas.txt file I've started keeping. (Note I am talking to myself here, these are my thoughts on paper):

April 15, 2009: Seems it's been awhile since I had a worthy idea but like I said in IRC, I will not be keeping this in an "IDEA APPEARED! WRITE IT WRITE IT!" fashion.  Today while watching the movie King Arthur with William Shatner I wondered what the usergroup of head admin served on GCLF.  It appears to be just a group that says we're better than you even though we're equal and have the same powers.  You can undo our things but you will get a congratulatory slap on the wrist then a NO! just like people already do to other people.  This seems to just be a usergroup that quickens the process of "HEY I WANT IT DONE THIS WAY CHANGE IT" "No, I want it that way" and keeps going until the one who says I want it that way wins.  Admins even have the power to promote THEMSELVES to head admin and give THEMSELVES permissions to be able to promote themselves to head admin yet we are either to scared not less trouble happens or simply just don't feel like it.  Head Admin appears to be the real world equivalent of equal co-managers in a workplace managing their workplace and employees.  One of the two grabs a gold star sticker and slaps it on their head and says "You see this star? This makes me able to undo everything that you do and raise wages of employees even though I could do that before except now I can over turn your decisions and your actions and you can't do anything.  Sure you can do everything I can do but this star makes me able to over turn your actions. Oh yeah, the gold star stickers are over there but I'll rip them off of you if you choose to put one on. D:<"  Seems really silly doesn't it?  There are better ways to make and overturn decisions than doing this with writing some code and a bit of thinking.

Here's a proposed system:

Create a board called the "Promotion to Administration Proposals" (PAP).  This is just like the Exclusive Board requests for X rank except only admins vote; majority rules, etc.  This replaces the Head Admin only promotions even though Admins can promote people to admin with a few clicks.

Make a script for admins called "Challenge This Action" which would be click able at the bottom of a newly (un)locked/sticked (14 days) if an admin had locked it or unlocked it and only admins can view it. It redirects to a page that makes a topic with the title "Challenge this action: *action done and username of who did it.* Names are gotten from the mod log.  This can also be applied to the creation of new boards, installing mods, non-debated promotions to admin, etc.  In this new topic created by the form, a normal message like: This admin has challenged this action with the reason: *words.* Other admins would simply put their 2? in and then from the outcome of all the admins post, a verdict would be made in favor of the challenge or the person who had originally done the action.  If in favor of the challenger, the action would be undone and unchallengeable or changeable to prevent drama and double jeopardy.

This system covers all the principles of Head Admin while removing the inferiority complexes that is caused by it.

Date: 2009-04-15 17:47:49
The head admin rank was originally supposed to designate me as, well, the owner of the site. You say that head admins are able to do anything a normal admin can. Technically it is just a placeholder rank, but like it or not I have more power than the rest of the admins. I would have more power than the rest of the admins even if any of them banned my account, because I have root on the server. That was what head admin was originally supposed to say. I deputized Newo a long while back because I had foreseen that I wouldn't be around that much in that time and haven't gotten around to removing it yet. Originally I was probably going to give Newo some form of server access too, but I don't think he'll be needing it.

It really has no meaning to Newo and Kyouki, but at least let me keep it - whether you like it or not, I do own the site. Or maybe I'll have a "founder" label or something else to designate me apart from the rest of the admins.

Edit: Now that you mention it, I was considering writing some sort of "democracy" mod for SMF or MyBB that would allow users to propose and vote on administrative tasks and have the system automatically carry them out if they passed. I was wondering if this would have any application in a real forum.