Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

2.0 Final: When? Also, will ranks and badges return? - Page 2

Re: 2.0 Final: When? Also, will ranks and badges return?

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-04-15 17:57:49

The head admin rank was originally supposed to designate me as, well, the owner of the site. You say that head admins are able to do anything a normal admin can. Technically it is just a placeholder rank, but like it or not I have more power than the rest of the admins. I would have more power than the rest of the admins even if any of them banned my account, because I have root on the server. That was what head admin was originally supposed to say. I deputized Newo a long while back because I had foreseen that I wouldn't be around that much in that time and haven't gotten around to removing it yet. Originally I was probably going to give Newo some form of server access too, but I don't think he'll be needing it.

It really has no meaning to Newo and Kyouki, but at least let me keep it - whether you like it or not, I do own the site. Or maybe I'll have a "founder" label or something else to designate me apart from the rest of the admins.

I just meant head admin as a power rank, not as designating who has ownership of the server.  I already know you have more power than any other admin - head or otherwise.

Also, I don't think anyone here has a problem with you owning the server. :\

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-04-15 20:55:05

Create a board called the "Promotion to Administration Proposals" (PAP).  This is just like the Exclusive Board requests for X rank except only admins vote; majority rules, etc.  This replaces the Head Admin only promotions even though Admins can promote people to admin with a few clicks.

Make a script for admins called "Challenge This Action" which would be click able at the bottom of a newly (un)locked/sticked (14 days) if an admin had locked it or unlocked it and only admins can view it. It redirects to a page that makes a topic with the title "Challenge this action: *action done and username of who did it.* Names are gotten from the mod log.  This can also be applied to the creation of new boards, installing mods, non-debated promotions to admin, etc.  In this new topic created by the form, a normal message like: This admin has challenged this action with the reason: *words.* Other admins would simply put their 2? in and then from the outcome of all the admins post, a verdict would be made in favor of the challenge or the person who had originally done the action.  If in favor of the challenger, the action would be undone and unchallengeable or changeable to prevent drama and double jeopardy.

This system covers all the principles of Head Admin while removing the inferiority complexes that is caused by it.

That's a fairly good idea.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-04-15 20:59:34
6 kyu (white belt): Probationary Member.  No access to Forum Games, RPs, or the Exclusive Board
5 kyu (yellow): Member.  Access to Forum Games and RPs.
4 kyu (orange): Senior Member.  Access to all boards, but may not post in the Exclusive Board.
3 kyu (purple): Member First Class.  May post in the Exclusive Board.
2 kyu (brown): Probationary Member+.  Trusted on the Wiki.
1 kyu (green): Member+.  Wiki QC agent.

1 dan (black belt w/ white horizontal stripe): Member+ First Class. May recommend others to Member+.  May strip others of Member+ status.
2 dan (black): Distinguished Member.
3 dan (black w/ green stripe): Local Mod.
4 dan (black w/ blue stripe): Global Mod.
5 dan (black w/ red stripe): Admin.
6 dan (black w/ gold stripe): Grand Master.  Retired users only.

Stripes on all black belts (3 to 6 dan) are vertical.  The stripe on a Distinguished Member belt (1 dan) is horizontal.

Ranks are given to users by the YES vote of a majority of members of that rank.

Admins (5 dan) can give that rank to others if and only if there is a unanimous YES vote among Admins.

The Grand Master rank (6 dan) is awarded to a retired member if and only if both following requirements are met within 30 days:

* Retiree is Member First Class (3 kyu) or higher.
* A majority of black belts (1 to 5 dan and any visiting 6 dan) vote YES.

Date: 2009-04-15 21:18:38
Umm… Abwayax would get 10 dan no matter what since it's the highest rank. :P

Date: 2009-04-15 21:36:39
Abwayax would have to retire to get a 6 dan.

(NB: I revised the system to remove clutter.)

It's a reference to the 10 dan in karate, which is only awared posthumously (i.e. after you die).

Date: 2009-04-16 18:32:27

Well, either by admin or by consensus inside the Exclusive Board. Most of the stuff I do I take to the Exclusive Board first anyway.

(For those of you not in the know, the Exclusive Board is a semi-exclusive area of the forum where many of the important decisions are made and where most Members+ and Moderators are elected. It's like a council/parliament/congress of the forum. Requiring members to either be elected or appointed in is not meant to make it an exclusive "cool kids only" club but rather to limit decision making to more senior members)

I'm thinking it would be a multi-leveled system. Getting the first "level" would unlock RPs/Forum Games, the second or third "level" would allow one to enter the Exclusive Board, and so on and so forth. Member+ would automatically be "promoted" to this level and several active members will probably be jumped to the first level.

Because I like military ranks I was thinking we could use rank symbols like that, with the successive levels denoted by chevrons. Staff-level users would have officer-ish ranks to denote "official positions". peachY sent me an idea regarding Pokemon-based rank icons but I think this could work alongside it. One of his suggestions was to further subdivide oldbies and members+ based on how much they actually did contribute, so theoretically all oldbies would have an "oldbie" rank icon but some oldbies who contributed more would have one or two more chevrons on their insignia. Hell, maybe we can divide staff and admins like that too (except with something like lieutenant bars or general stars instead of chevrons)

What I'm thinking would be something like

Member: No stripes. Basic access, no Forum Games/RPs or Exclusive Board.
Member First Class: One stripe. Forum Games/RPs (replaces the 50-post barrier)
Senior Member: Two stripes. Forum Games/RPs, has a shot at getting into Member+
Member+ Third Class: Three stripes. FG/RPs + Exclusive Board access.
Member+ Second Class: Four stripes. FG/RPs + Exclusive Board access, "trusted" on the Wiki (edits do not need to be QC'd), able to apply to Staff
Member+ Second Class, Wiki QC agent: Four stripes + star. FG/RPs + Exclusive Board access, "Quality Control" permission on the new wiki, able to apply to Staff
Member+ First Class: Five stripes. FG/RPs + Exclusive Board access, "trusted" on the Wiki, able to apply to Staff
Member+ First Class, Wiki QC agent: Five stripes + star. FG/RPs + Exclusive Board access, "Quality Control" permission on the new wiki, able to apply to Staff

The Member+ ranks are then repeated for Decamark Researchers and Oldbies. I'm actually trying to get people into the Exclusive Board pretty quickly. I don't want it to be an "Elite" group.

Any of the ranks can be conferred on a member by any upper staff member (not just Admins) or by a majority vote in the Exclusive Board. However, currently an Oldbie must be someone who has participated on either Professor Glitch's Forum, TR's Rockin Forum, or in Pokemon Glitch-related discussions at any of the major forums (Serebii, Bulbagarden, PokeCommunity, and I'm sure there are others) since at least November 2004. Decamark Researcher rank is reserved for those who are currently working on the Decamark project, stickied in Glitch Submissions (each level is equivalent to the level of participation in said project).

Here's how Pokemon will tie in with the ranks. A normal member starts out at the first level and has no Pokemon on their rank. When they reach the first rank, they can choose a Pokemon to add to their rank bar (the default, of course, is 'M). Upon reaching successive ranks, they can choose to change, get rid of, or add a Pokemon icon to their rank bar. Additionally, the Pokemon icons can "evolve" upon reaching a rank. If the member doesn't want to partake in any of that, they can simply keep the default 'M icon (the default Pokemon icons added on each successive rank will be random). The rank image will be generated by a dynamic script on the server side and cached until the member moves up in rank.

Distinguished Member, Second Order: Six stripes. All of the above abilities.
Distinguished Member, First Order: Seven stripes. All of the above abilities.

It is not expected that normal members will get past five stripes. The DM rank is reserved for truly notable and groundbreaking individuals.

Edit: As for staff, I'm thinking here's what we'll do.
Local Mod: Ranges from silver bar to gold bar to "glitchy" bar depending on how many boards a Local Mod moderates.
Global Mod: Ranges from 2 "glitchy" bars to 1 "glitchy" General star to (a "Captain") 2 "glitchy" General stars
Admin: Ranges from 3 "glitchy" General stars to 4. Head admins get a nifty 5-star rank

The same rules regarding Pokemon will apply to these ranks too.

Proposed changes are in bold to prevent some confusion.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-04-16 18:35:08
Abwayax's ideas, are more better. They make more sense.

Date: 2009-04-16 18:53:50

Abwayax's ideas, are more better. They make more sense.

Indeed.

Only Member +s are supposed to be able to get into the Exclusive Board and what is with Member +s demoting Member +s in Shinji's system?

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-04-16 19:24:33
What? I thought only admins had the power to demote? Mods, don't as far as I know.

Date: 2009-04-16 19:58:28

1 dan (black belt w/ white horizontal stripe): Member+ First Class. May recommend others to Member+.  May strip others of Member+ status.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-04-16 20:06:58

Only admins should be able to demote.

Date: 2009-04-16 20:29:23
Technically though, there are Member + leaders already.  I'll give a list of who can do that with their current powers.

Name: Member+
Members: 33
Group Moderators: Abwayax, Kyoukipichi, Zach the Glitch Buster, Newo, Yuzihax, GARY 'M 9, Tombstoner, Sorreah

Yes, Guy/Tombstoner, you can promote and demote Member +s with your Global Mod rank + your secret leader rank. :P

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-04-16 21:15:42
Well, I guess Yuzi and Sorreah are secretly "Member+ First Class" already. Pime taradox

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-04-16 21:25:32

Well, I guess Yuzi and Sorreah are secretly "Member+ First Class" already. Pime taradox

Well, both Suzi (lol) and Yorreah are inactive.

Date: 2009-04-16 21:26:20
Fixed.

4 kyu (white belt): Member.  No access to Forum Games, RPs, or the Exclusive Board.
3 kyu (yellow): Member First Class.  Access to Forum Games and RPs.
2 kyu (brown): Member+ Candidate.  Trusted on the Wiki.
1 kyu (green): Member+.  Access to Exclusive Board.  Wiki QC agent.

1 dan (black): Distinguished Member.
2 dan (black w/ green stripe): Local Mod.
3 dan (black w/ blue stripe): Global Mod.
4 dan (black w/ red stripe): Admin.
5 dan (black w/ gold stripe): Member Emeritus.  Retired users only.
6 dan (black w/ 2 gold stripes): Grand Master of Mojido (Way of the Glitch).  Forum owner only.

Stripes on all black belts (2 to 5 dan) are vertical.

Ranks are given to users by the YES vote of a majority of members of that rank.

Admins (4 dan) can give that rank to others if and only if there is a unanimous YES vote among Admins.

The Member Emeritus rank (5 dan) is awarded to a retired member if and only if both following requirements are met within 30 days:

* Retiree is Member First Class (3 kyu) or higher.
* A majority of black belts (1 to 4 dan and any visiting 5 dan) vote YES.

Yuzihax is a 4 dan and Sorreah is I don't know what.  They can be promoted to Member Emeritus if and only if a majority of black belts vote YES within 30 days.

By the way, what happened to Izwyzx (sp?)  I remember seeing them a couple times on Prof. Glitch's Labs (long before I had registered) and then never again.