Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Wiki Discussion

Updating the wiki and its future - Page 1

Updating the wiki and its future

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-05-24 19:23:45
It would be great to update our wiki to cover most of the glitches we have collectively verified in the near future. It is also in need of some tender loving care.

When I was a regular contributor to the wiki, although I expanded it to a good degree, I made three big mistakes:

First, I added in at least one 'theory' about the causes of glitches without understanding what I was talking about and these were unverified and hard to read. Now I think if you're in doubt about something, it's best to leave it out, even though I'm not a deletionist. I think that a piece of information is better than nothing no matter how small it is, but not when you have no solid reason to support it.

Secondly, I was verifying glitches I hadn't even tried just because they had videos or were documented before. I think it is bad to do that when working on a wiki, especially a research focused one like Glitch City. When it is possible it is good to try something yourself, you may spot something important that was missed, such as, for lack of a good example, the glitch only working in certain circumstances or game revisions. Plus, there's always a low possibility that the glitch could be fake, even though I think that's unlikely.

Thirdly, I feel that my grammar and choice of words wasn't particularly good. Now that I've learned to be more clear in my writing, I will work on improving the articles that read poorly.

Also, I avoided taking my own screenshots, resulting in unnecessarily large/low quality screenshots taken from videos.

I will personally go through every glitch page we have except for the Dex pages, and clean them up/update them when I have the time. When that is done (I expect this will take a while), I will work on adding pages for new glitches. This shouldn't be too bad for certain glitches that I have video descriptions for.

A problem that needs fixing:

Using 'Search' on "Search Wiki" or 'Go' when there is no exact page match does not work. It simply leads to a blank page. I know this has been reported before, but I thought it was worth pointing it out again. It is significantly harder to navigate the wiki without a search option.

Future of the wiki: Should we form a glitch alliance?:

There is a highly successful Legend of Zelda glitch wiki called Zelda Chaos. When our wiki is up to standard (when it covers the most recently found glitches we have verified and is functional), I think it would be a good idea to become affiliates with them, and form a glitch wiki alliance, maybe called the "Independent Glitch Wiki Alliance" (IGWA)? All both wikis would have to do is add an "Independent Glitch Wiki Alliance (IGWA)" section to the sidebar, create a logo, and a template to add at the bottom of the main page.

I think this would definitely promote the wiki, attract new visitors and maybe new members.

New feature proposal, and about the page review system

The new feature I'm thinking of is having template(s) like this. We would need permission from Zelda Chaos if we wanted to just base our template on that, but this would be great to have; it would allow us to show which versions a glitch occurs more clearly than just writing e.g. "select buttons work in the Japanese Generation I games except for Pocket Monsters Pikachu". Thoughts on this?

I don't know whether page review system is worth it personally. Our wiki isn't very active, and having this feature discourages growth. Since a wiki can easily be updated, any errors can be removed. On the other hand, a page review system means that when the admins are inactive, a new potentially false statement won't be visible.

I think we should remove it, I'd like to think that most of our users have a good knowledge about glitches and won't add stuff like "Missingno. will erase your save file, don't catch it." What do other people think about this?

Also, I feel the "accuracy", "depth" and "readability" fields for the review system aren't necessary. Was that a MediaWiki default? I'm not sure.

Updating the GlitchDex/Should the GlitchDex pages be 'wikified'?

I'm not going to focus on this right now, but it would be good to update GlitchDex pages some time with these TM/HM learnsets and these level up moves/evolutions. Also valuable are the available Johto guard glitch moves and more available front/back sprites (with a note to say if any of them are random).

This would be a lot of work, but to make things easier it would be a good idea to actually wikify the GlitchDex to add new information without Abwayax having the update the HTML. I admittedly am no good at making templates, so I'd need some help in that respect.

Completing Project "Palette Town"

It'd be good to finish this project, if it never got finished. Project "Palette Town"'s goal is to replace all grey scale images on the wiki with Super Game Boy ones. It wouldn't be too much to do compared to some of the other stuff.

Re: Updating the wiki and its future

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-05-24 19:57:48

New feature proposal, and about the page review system

The new feature I'm thinking of is having template(s) like this. We would need permission from Zelda Chaos if we wanted to just base our template on that, but this would be great to have; it would allow us to show which versions a glitch occurs more clearly than just writing e.g. "select buttons work in the Japanese Generation I games except for Pocket Monsters Pikachu". Thoughts on this?

I don't know whether page review system is worth it personally. Our wiki isn't very active, and having this feature discourages growth. Since a wiki can easily be updated, any errors can be removed. On the other hand, a page review system means that when the admins are inactive, a new potentially false statement won't be visible.

I think we should remove it, I'd like to think that most of our users have a good knowledge about glitches and won't add stuff like "Missingno. will erase your save file, don't catch it." What do other people think about this?

Also, I feel the "accuracy", "depth" and "readability" fields for the review system aren't necessary. Was that a MediaWiki default? I'm not sure.

I agree with this part.  I also like the template.  It probably would be more useful to have several different templates for different generations, maybe also covering different localizations.  It might also be useful to have a template for unverified theories (similar to Wikipedia's [Original research?] template).

Updating the GlitchDex/Should the GlitchDex pages be 'wikified'?

I'm not going to focus on this right now, but it would be good to update GlitchDex pages some time with these TM/HM learnsets and these level up moves/evolutions. Also valuable are the available Johto guard glitch moves and more available front/back sprites (with a note to say if any of them are random).

This would be a lot of work, but to make things easier it would be a good idea to actually wikify the GlitchDex to add new information without Abwayax having the update the HTML. I admittedly am no good at making templates, so I'd need some help in that respect.

That would be highly useful.  As some of the pages have no images, and a large number of them also say that the Pokémon can't be obtained (despite that being false - We have the mew glitch), this would allow for some issues to be fixed.

Completing Project "Palette Town"

It'd be good to finish this project, if it never got finished. Project "Palette Town"'s goal is to replace all grey scale images on the wiki with Super Game Boy ones. It wouldn't be too much to do compared to some of the other stuff.

Not entirely related to that project, but it may be worth recording some sprites in both ways, as they may be obstructed by what Bulbapedia calls a "Glitch screen", and thus not be useful.  Of course, some sprites vary, so that may not work too well. 

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2014-05-25 04:12:50
I'll happily help out on the Pomeg glitch page over summer sometime. It's only fair that GCL should have the most in-depth analysis of glitches.  :)

Date: 2014-05-25 06:26:08

I'll happily help out on the Pomeg glitch page over summer sometime. It's only fair that GCL should have the most in-depth analysis of glitches.  :)

Thanks Vae, good luck and have fun!

Posted by: hpoké_coloradohugge
Date: 2014-05-25 15:50:46
Since you mentioned updating the glitchdex; Im not sure if it going to be needed, but i have compiled high res pictures of every glitch-pokémon from both the english and japanese Pokémon Red/Blue/Green (before yellow basically). And one thing that iv'e never seen on any web page is a full list of all the Japanese glitch-pokémon counterparts with their japanese names, And i encountered all of them and saved pics of them and looked at their names and transelated them from japanese to english too.

But since i only did it to get the sprites and names i never caught any of them. so i know nothing of the stats or attacks that may or may not differentiate from their english counterparts.

Date: 2014-05-25 18:33:59
That would be useful, did you upload those pictures? If so, can you send me a link to them, please?

A list of Japanese glitch Pokémon names can actually be found here.

I've just cleaned up a few pages, working across/down from the all pages list.

I had this thought; as much as how I find our pages on pre-release information and unused information useful, I'm inclined to delete most of them, except for iconic ones associated with glitches such as the Bird type. The Cutting Room Floor and Bulbapedia features all of this content so we could just alter the sidebar to link to there, and it wouldn't keep Glitch City Laboratories focused on glitches to have them. I do feel sentimental about them though, am I thinking in a narrow minded way?

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-05-25 22:17:11

That would be useful, did you upload those pictures? If so, can you send me a link to them, please?

I've just cleaned up a few pages, working across/down from the all pages list.

I had this thought; as much as how I find our pages on pre-release information and unused information useful, I'm inclined to delete most of them, except for iconic ones associated with glitches such as the Bird type. The Cutting Room Floor and Bulbapedia features all of this content so we could just alter the sidebar to link to there, and it wouldn't keep Glitch City Laboratories focused on glitches to have them. I do feel sentimental about them though, am I thinking in a narrow minded way?

I don't think they should be removed.  Even if the information is partialy redundant, it is still a useful set of pages. 

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-05-25 22:17:50
I think we should clean up the "Miscellaneous Glitches" section too, and possibly split up the "Oversights" and "Minor Glitches", because IMO, "Introduction Nidorino glitch" should not be in the same position as the "ZZAZZ Glitch".

Date: 2014-05-26 01:35:11

Nope i still haven't uploaded them yet. But i could do that And give you the link aswell.
=)

Date: 2014-05-26 09:26:36

Nope i still haven't uploaded them yet. But i could do that And give you the link aswell.
=)

Yes please, thanks in advance! :D

Date: 2014-05-26 13:00:10

=)

Yes please, thanks in advance! :D

Aaaand, here they are. everything should be there and i added their names and HEX in the names of every file. so if a file displays only the hex number but no name it's just that it has no name or that the name is just tiles/other symbols but hiragana, katakana or numbers. =)

<OUTDATED LINK>

Date: 2014-05-26 14:35:39
Great! Thanks.

I wasn't aware these were Red/Green sprites (a lot of the sprites may be different in the English versions, like Red/Green Missingno. and how it can freeze the game upon encountering it), I was expecting Red/Blue ones, but thanks for your work anyway.

If you don't have Red/Blue ones, I could use Bulbapedia as it has English Red/Blue glitch Pokémon sprites, though a few are wrong, like this one. They would need double checking.

I have now updated the ZZAZZ glitch page. It took a while, and I upgraded its status to a major glitch. You can warp to the Hall of Fame with it if you know how (see here).

I'd really like to see Glitch City Laboratories wiki as the ultimate Pokémon glitch reference site some day. If people want to help, feel free. If you continue to make good edits, I will promote you to the 'QC' user group so you can freely edit the wiki without your edits having to be reviewed.

Date: 2014-05-26 15:03:35

If you don't have Red/Blue ones, I could use Bulbapedia as it has English Red/Blue glitch Pokémon sprites, though a few are wrong

yeah, but i could just gather all the English Red/Blue sprites aswell.
And Since i initially just assumed Bulbapedia had the right sprites already, I feel like checking all of them myself just to be sure that GlitchCityLaboraiories are using the sprites like they are supposed to be displayed.
And this time it won't take as long to do like the japanese sprites since now i just have to compare and see which of the bulbapedia sprites is correct already. =)

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-05-26 16:36:47
Another thing I don't really like are the speedrunner glitches. The category doesn't have much purpose, and it's also arbitrary on what a "speedrunning glitch" is (don't get me started on the "Catch 'em All Speedrun") so I say that we should move the pages in the category to the Major/Minor Glitches.

Same with those. What defines a "Major" Glitch and a "Minor" Glitch?

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2014-05-26 17:06:06
If we're ever going to get the wiki moving, it's reliant on Abwayax setting it up since he's the only one with the skill to actually wikify it, and with that level of access from my knowledge.

That or the MediaWiki template, but mind you I'm not sure about that being able to integrate into the HTML currently present. Correct me if I'm wrong.