Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Alternative Gameplay - Page 1

Alternative Gameplay

Posted by: Ashandmisty
Date: 2008-10-19 05:16:02
Here is the code:
01A75ED3

List of things it does:

Pallet
Hero's Bedroom: Plays Hall of Fame sequence then freezes.
Hero's House: TV makes funny looping sound. Mom makes gibberish sounds.
Outside: Instant freeze.
Gary's House: Sister turns into a PC. The Town Map on the table turns into a Radio.
Lab: Music plays, but you can't move.

Route 1
Outside: Depending on where you turn the GS switch on, NPCs will sometimes turn into Gary. Gary's music plays. Wild Pokemon appear like in a Cave but different music plays.

Viridian City
Outside: Pokemon center sign makes an ERROR. Mart Sign plays ending sequence then glitches. Some NPCs turn into Gary again. The Old man that blocks your way doesnt stop you. If you talk to him he says "5 ERROR." then turns into a Pokeball. Man outside Gym says "Ha? He ohay heh ha hoo ee haheh!"
Pokecenter: Freezes instantly.
Pokemart: Shop assistant says something from a trainer in Fuchsia Gym. Kid that speaks of the lack of potions says stuff about the Gym's walls. The other Guy also says dialog from a Gym Trainer.
Gym: Acts pretty much normally.
School: Girl says gibberish then freezes. Teacher says Koga's dialogue.
House1: Crashes emulator.

Route 2
Outside: Just like Route One although Rival music doesnt play. Don't try and pickup the objects with the code on. One plays Charmanders cry on a loop. The other makes a wierd glitchy cry, says "1 ERROR." then the music changes.
Route House: Freezes instantly.
House: Freezes instantly.
Forest House South: Freezes instantly.
Forest House North: Freezes instantly.
Inside the Forest: Plays an endless loop of sound making it impossible to move. If you turn the GS switch on at the same time as you talk to someone they will usually say "1 ERROR".

Pewter City
Outside: A message saying "Good Luck!" pops up twice, on the second time it doesnt disappear. Some people change into Rockets. If you turn the GS switch on JUST as you talk to someone they say some different things, usually glitchy sounds or ERRORs. If you do it while exiting the right of Pewter the gym guy changes sprite and the start menu pops up.
PokeCenter: Emulator crash.
PokeMart: No change at all.
South West House: Strange music plays and you freeze on the spot. If you activate the code just as you speak to the old man he says: 1 ERROR. The boy says: [glitchyblocks][yourname]Poke.
North East House: Plays the first bars of the "Rival sees you" music on a loop. Turn the code off and the music plays as normal. If you turn it on as soon as you press a on the old man he says: 'V'M?42pk'm then the pokemon the kid talks to runs away. The kid says: ……………………….[glitchyblocks][yourname]Poke. The pokemon says: 1 ERROR.
MuseumGroundFloor: The screen flashes and parts of the floor slide past. It's a pretty cool effect! Turn off the code and you are stuck in glitchy blocks. Walk through walls code messes it up even more. If you activate the code as soon as you talk to the old man no textbox appears and [glitchblock]2 ERROR. appears. I have to show you a pic of this! (Attatchment).
MuseumFirstFloor: Emulator crash.

Cerulean City
Outside: A blank text box popped up and the item found theme plays over and over. Eventually, glitchy symbols appear in the text box and the music sounds glitchy.
Pokemon Center: Emulator crash.
Gym: Game stops.
Bike Shop: Emulator crash.
Poke Mart: Emulator crash.
House next to Poke Center: Game freeze.
Northwest house: No change.
Robbed house: Game freeze.

Lavender Town
Outside: Screen scrolls, similar to the credits, but its not the credits. If the alternative gameplay code is turned off and walk through walls is turned on, you can navigate the city freely.
Pokemon Center: All text boxes are invisible. Can't talk to the person sitting on the couch or the PC.
Pokemon Tower 1F: Emulator crash.
Mr. Fuji's house: The seen by a trainer theme intro keeps starting over until you walk and talk to other people, where it will fully play as long as you do that. Pokemon in left side of the room says nothing, person closest to the door says 1 Error, person in right side of the room says 2 Error, other Pokemon gives off glitchy noises. The Town Map still works, and the item on the table makes a noise before saying 6 Error.
Southwest house: Music still plays, but you are unable to move.
Name Rater's house: Game freeze.
Poke Mart: Game freeze.

Vermilion City
Outside: Numerous effects when talking to other people, such as music change, color change, completely disappearing people, and game freezing.
Fishing Guru's house: Music still plays, but you are unable to move.
Pokemon Center: A text box saying 12 Error pops up, then glitchy sounds are played and the screen rapidly changes color. It does this for every step taken.
Pokemon Fan Club: Back left poster gives text that a Cinnabar scientist says, while the other poster says text that the poster in the back of the Cinnabar Lab's entryway says. The president's text plays many glitchy sounds before a glitch block appears on the far back end of the screen. His assistant has a blank text box that always has you click, as if there were more, even though there isn't. The Seel owner says 2 Error, while her Seel plays glitchy sounds before the game freezes. Finally, the Pikachu owner plays glitchy sounds before changing the music. Finally, his Pikachu says 3 Error.
House next to the Fan Club: Person inside plays glitchy sounds before displaying the number 3982295. The game stops afterwards.
Poke Mart: Emulator crash.
House south of Poke Mart: Talking to the bird Pokemon freezes the game, while talking to it's owner plays glitchy sounds before displaying glitchy symbols with 1 Error. He changes the music, as well. After talking to him, he will disappear. Talking to the letter on the table changes the music again after a series of glitchy sounds.
SS Anne port: No change.
SS Anne entry deck: Game freeze.

Celadon City
Outside: Music still plays, but you are unable to move.
Pokemon Center: Emulator crash.
Pokemon Mansion 1F: Game stops.
Department Store 1F: Emulator crash.
Exchange Center: Talking to the guy on the left side of the room says the message "[Player] gave the GOLD TEETH to the WARDEN! The WARDEN popped in his teeth." Talking to the other guy plays glitch sounds for a while before displaying glitchy text and changing the music multiple times. Talking to one of the booths results in glitchy sounds before freezing.
Game Corner 1F: Game freeze.
Resteraunt: Game takes serious lag time when walking, can't talk to anybody.
Building next to resteraunt: The sailor says []3 Error, the old man says 1 Error, and the Rocket becomes a Vending Machine. No joke.
Hotel: Will bring up the Start Menu. When you exit out of it, you walk down and it comes back up again. If you turn off the code, you walk through the wall and the game freezes.
Gym: Music still plays, but you are unable to move.

Fuchsia City
Outside: Weird sounds play for a while and the music changes. You can still walk, but the game waits for the sounds to play before each step. If you pause the game, a text box will pop up behind the pause menu.
Pokemon Center: Nothing changed except you can't talk to the guy on the couch or the PC.
House next to gym: Nothing changed.
Gym: Nothing changed except you can't talk to the gym statues.
Safari Warden's house: Nothing changed.
Fishing guru's house: Talking to him changes the music and displays $44000000000030310313…… The music changes again after a sound plays and the game freezes.
Safari Zone Research House: Nothing changed.
Safari Zone Entry: Nothing changed.
Poke Mart: You and the woman NPC disappear and you can't move. However, you will be able to walk and you'll both reappear if you use a walk through walls code (if you have the alternative gameplay code on with the walk through walls code, you'll walk a step before disappearing again).

Cinnabar Island
Outside: Game freeze.
Pokemon Center: Nothing changed except you can't talk to the guy on the couch or the PC.
Poke Mart: Nothing changed.
Pokemon Lab: Nothing changed.
Pokemon House: Emulator crash.
Gym: Nothing changed.

Indigo Plateau
Pokemon League entry: Game freeze.

Saffron City
Pokemon Center: Music still plays, but you are unable to move.
Mr. Psychic's house: Game freeze.
Silph Co. 1F: Emulator crash.
House behind Silph Co.: Sounds play, then music changes. You are unable to move.
Poke Mart: Game freeze.
Gym: Game freeze.
Fighting Dojo: Game freeze.
Copycat's house: Nothing changed on 1F. Game stopped on 2F.

Seafoam Islands
Outside: Instant emulator crash, happens around Route 20.
Inside: Any entrance/exit takes you to the lab of death.
Falling though holes: This is sort of funny. You fall slowly, and your sprite is glitched.
Surfing: Emulator crash.
Other: Sometimes turning it on as soon as you are in the cave can make it crash.

Thanks to:
Bassmasta
?????(000)
:56 ERROR

Re: Turn Gary's sister into a PC.

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2008-10-19 06:05:30
Other things happen if you try that code in other places. If you have it on in Viridian City and talk to the shop sign, you'll be entered in the hall of fame. Interesting code.

Date: 2008-10-19 06:07:35

Other things happen if you try that code in other places. If you have it on in Viridian City and talk to the shop sign, you'll be entered in the hall of fame. Interesting code.

I didnt notice the code was on and I started a new game. But i started in a glitched pokemart and the credits rolled. I still love the Radio and PC in gary's home though hehe.

Date: 2008-10-19 06:16:30
It's interesting to note that if you walk through a door with the code on, you'll get transported to the Pokemon Lab on Cinnabar. Weird.

I still love the Radio and PC in gary's home though hehe.
I don't think that it can beat this.

Date: 2008-10-19 06:29:33
I lol'd  :D :D

Look at this too:

Re: Alternative Gameplay

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2008-10-19 10:19:10
I can update the info for you.

Here is the code:
01A75ED3

List of things it does:

Pallet
Hero's Bedroom: Plays Hall of Fame sequence then freezes.
Hero's House: TV makes funny looping sound. Mom makes gibberish sounds.
Outside: Instant freeze.
Gary's House: Sister turns into a PC. The Town Map on the table turns into a Radio.
Lab: Music plays, but ya can't move.

Route 1
Outside: Depending on where you turn the GS switch on, NPCs will sometimes turn into Gary. Gary's music plays. Wild Pokemon appear like in a Cave but different music plays.

Viridian City
Outside: Pokemon center sign makes an ERROR. Mart Sign plays ending sequence then glitches. Some NPCs turn into Gary again. The Old man that blocks your way doesnt stop you. If you talk to him he says "5 ERROR." then turns into a Pokeball. Man outside Gym says "Ha? He ohay heh ha hoo ee haheh!"
Pokecenter: Freezes instantly.
Pokemart: Shop assistant says something from a trainer in Fuchsia Gym. Kid that speaks of the lack of potions says stuff about the Gym's walls. The other Guy also says dialog from a Gym Trainer.
Gym: Acts pretty much normally.
School: Girl says gibberish then freezes. Teacher says Koga's dialogue.
House1: Crashes emulator.

Date: 2008-10-20 11:45:07
Thank you for the info!  ;D Finished doing Route 2 and Viridian Forest. Updated first post.

Date: 2008-10-20 14:24:41
No problem. Hey, you should try the code DURING battle.

Date: 2008-10-20 14:41:59
I tried it, but at the end of the battle you get transported to a glitched cinnabar lab with the NPCs from the place you were in still there but with different dialogue. What is it with Cinnabar lab? is A7 the HEX code for the map data?

Date: 2008-10-20 15:12:05
Most possibly.

Date: 2008-10-21 02:57:37
I've done some more research and if you try and walk through a door with the code on you will be teleported to cinnibar lab and be unable to exit (even when you turn the code off).

Date: 2008-10-21 04:47:09
I found that out a little earlier. You posted before I could though.

Date: 2008-10-21 06:45:25
^Same.

I found out that the code works in Viridian, Vermilion, and Fuchsia Cities (not buildings). However, in Fuchsia City, the screen keeps flashing a while before you actually move and most, if not all, dialogue is the same. I'm going to try buildings in other cities, and possibly routes, this afternoon.

Date: 2008-10-21 07:18:03
Thanks for the info! I'm glad you all like my code I made. I noticed your favourite glitch is the gibberish man hehe.

Date: 2008-10-21 08:37:15
Wait…. MADE? How can you MAKE codes that work for a game?