Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Alternative Gameplay - Page 2

Re: Alternative Gameplay

Posted by: Ashandmisty
Date: 2008-10-21 10:38:34
With the emulators built in Memory Viewer. It works like this. At address D35E in the memory viewer I put A7 but for some reason it kept reverting back to the original value. Gameshark changes the value then freezes it so it cannot change (thats why i advise you to turn it off when finished or moving map). So to make a code you first have to have 01 at the beginning. Then you put the value you want it to be: 01A7

Now reverse the address D35E to 5ED3 and add it to the end: 01A75ED3.

That is how you "make" gameshark codes.

EDIT: I've researched Pewter City. I need to do the gym so it isn't completed. I've updated the first post with what I have so far.

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2008-10-21 23:41:00
Info update:

Cerulean City:
Outside: A blank text box popped up and the item found theme plays over and over. Eventually, glitchy symbols appear in the text box and the music sounds glitchy.
Pokemon Center: Emulator crash.
Gym: Game stops.
Bike Shop: Emulator crash.
Poke Mart: Emulator crash.
House next to Poke Center: Game freeze.
Northwest house: No change.
Robbed house: Game freeze.

Lavender Town:
Outside: Screen scrolls, similar to the credits, but its not the credits. If the alternative gameplay code is turned off and walk through walls is turned on, you can navigate the city freely.
Pokemon Center: All text boxes are invisible. Can't talk to the person sitting on the couch or the PC.
Pokemon Tower 1F: Emulator crash.
Mr. Fuji's house: The seen by a trainer theme intro keeps starting over until you walk and talk to other people, where it will fully play as long as you do that. Pokemon in left side of the room says nothing, person closest to the door says 1 Error, person in right side of the room says 2 Error, other Pokemon gives off glitchy noises. The Town Map still works, and the item on the table makes a noise before saying 6 Error.
Southwest house: Music still plays, but you are unable to move.
Name Rater's house: Game freeze.
Poke Mart: Game freeze.

Vermilion City:
Outside: Numerous effects when talking to other people, such as music change, color change, completely disappearing people, and game freezing.
Fishing Guru's house: Music still plays, but you are unable to move.
Pokemon Center: A text box saying 12 Error pops up, then glitchy sounds are played and the screen rapidly changes color. It does this for every step taken.
Pokemon Fan Club: Back left poster gives text that a Cinnabar scientist says, while the other poster says text that the poster in the back of the Cinnabar Lab's entryway says. The president's text plays many glitchy sounds before a glitch block appears on the far back end of the screen. His assistant has a blank text box that always has you click, as if there were more, even though there isn't. The Seel owner says 2 Error, while her Seel plays glitchy sounds before the game freezes. Finally, the Pikachu owner plays glitchy sounds before changing the music. Finally, his Pikachu says 3 Error.
House next to the Fan Club: Person inside plays glitchy sounds before displaying the number 3982295. The game stops afterwards.
Poke Mart: Emulator crash.
House south of Poke Mart: Talking to the bird Pokemon freezes the game, while talking to it's owner plays glitchy sounds before displaying glitchy symbols with 1 Error. He changes the music, as well. After talking to him, he will disappear. Talking to the letter on the table changes the music again after a series of glitchy sounds.
SS Anne port: No change.
SS Anne entry deck: Game freeze.
Celadon City:
Outside: Music still plays, but you are unable to move.
Pokemon Center: Emulator crash.
Pokemon Mansion 1F: Game stops.
Department Store 1F: Emulator crash.
Exchange Center: Talking to the guy on the left side of the room says the message "[Player] gave the GOLD TEETH to the WARDEN! The WARDEN popped in his teeth." Talking to the other guy plays glitch sounds for a while before displaying glitchy text and changing the music multiple times. Talking to one of the booths results in glitchy sounds before freezing.
Game Corner 1F: Game freeze.
Resteraunt: Game takes serious lag time when walking, can't talk to anybody.
Building next to resteraunt: The sailor says []3 Error, the old man says 1 Error, and the Rocket becomes a Vending Machine. No joke.
Hotel: Will bring up the Start Menu. When you exit out of it, you walk down and it comes back up again. If you turn off the code, you walk through the wall and the game freezes.
Gym: Music still plays, but you are unable to move.

I'm going to leave it at this and write the rest sometime tomorrow.

Date: 2008-10-22 02:57:45
Thank you!! I'm going to add all the info to the first page.

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2008-10-23 01:12:35
Here's the rest of the cities. Next, I will get buildings on routes and dungeons.

Fuchsia City:
Outside: Weird sounds play for a while and the music changes. You can still walk, but the game waits for the sounds to play before each step. If you pause the game, a text box will pop up behind the pause menu.
Pokemon Center: Nothing changed except you can't talk to the guy on the couch or the PC.
House next to gym: Nothing changed.
Gym: Nothing changed except you can't talk to the gym statues.
Safari Warden's house: Nothing changed.
Fishing guru's house: Talking to him changes the music and displays $44000000000030310313…… The music changes again after a sound plays and the game freezes.
Safari Zone Research House: Nothing changed.
Safari Zone Entry: Nothing changed.
Poke Mart: You and the woman NPC disappear and you can't move. However, you will be able to walk and you'll both reappear if you use a walk through walls code (if you have the alternative gameplay code on with the walk through walls code, you'll walk a step before disappearing again).
Cinnabar Island:
Outside: Game freeze.
Pokemon Center: Nothing changed except you can't talk to the guy on the couch or the PC.
Poke Mart: Nothing changed.
Pokemon Lab: Nothing changed.
Pokemon House: Emulator crash.
Gym: Nothing changed.
Indigo Plateau:
Pokemon League entry: Game freeze.
Saffron City:
Pokemon Center: Music still plays, but you are unable to move.
Mr. Psychic's house: Game freeze.
Silph Co. 1F: Emulator crash.
House behind Silph Co.: Sounds play, then music changes. You are unable to move.
Poke Mart: Game freeze.
Gym: Game freeze.
Fighting Dojo: Game freeze.
Copycat's house: Nothing changed on 1F. Game stopped on 2F.

Date: 2008-10-23 03:02:07
Hmm, anyone noticing any patterns here? What does this code ACTUALLY do? Does it change the event pointers? Also, Cinnabar Island doesnt change much at all, and the mysterious cinnabar lab warp glitch aswell. Any ideas?

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-10-23 18:46:32
It's a mod code for the loaded map events.  The games tries to load a set map event, gameshark resets the value it loads to the one you set it to and makes it load the second half of the map event with the changed hex value and when this hybridization occurs, all glitch hell breaks lose on your game if you got onto the right map.  Glitchilization seems to occur more with larger maps and/or more complex ones. (Like events that only happen one time then change to another script and stay there like gary's sister and the town map.)

Posted by: agusganog
Date: 2008-12-01 19:54:33
If you turn the code on while in an area, you cannot leave said area as long as the code is on (in most places). If you do, you will be unable to move. Opening your Pokedex or Trainer Info and then closing the menu shows a really weird environment.

I found some really interesting stuff. For instance, if you read the sign on the Pokemart in Viridian, after navigating some glitchy music and text, the screen turns black except for some yellowish dots, the sprites, and the flowers… the screen can be returned to normal by opening the Pokedex or the Trainer Info.

Posted by: :56 ERROR
Date: 2008-12-21 13:24:52
This may be a little late, but I found more gibberish, and some other odd things.

As soon as I walked out of Veridian onto Route 2, my character got stuck.
The most unusual thing was when I entered the Pewter Museum and spoke to the register man, the screen started scrolling, then an ERROR message came up, then the whole screen started flashing, then the emulator crashed. This seemed a little different from the original description of the museum from Ashandmisty.

Obviously some of these things aren't that interesting, I'm going to research the Seafoam Islands with this code.
UPDATE:
Seafoam Islands
Outside: Instant emulator crash, happens around Route 20.
Inside: Any entrance/exit takes you to the lab of death.
Falling though holes: This is sort of funny. You fall slowly, and your sprite is glitched.
Surfing: Emulator crash.
Not much else was discovered  :-\ Sometimes, as soon as you turn on the code inside the cave, the emulator crashes.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2008-12-21 13:49:01

With the emulators built in Memory Viewer. It works like this. At address D35E in the memory viewer I put A7 but for some reason it kept reverting back to the original value. Gameshark changes the value then freezes it so it cannot change (thats why i advise you to turn it off when finished or moving map). So to make a code you first have to have 01 at the beginning. Then you put the value you want it to be: 01A7

Now reverse the address D35E to 5ED3 and add it to the end: 01A75ED3.

That is how you "make" gameshark codes.

Wow, that's pretty neat!  I'll have to try it some time…

Date: 2008-12-30 04:19:05

This may be a little late, but I found more gibberish, and some other odd things.

The most unusual thing was when I entered the Pewter Museum and spoke to the register man, the screen started scrolling, then an ERROR message came up, then the whole screen started flashing, then the emulator crashed. This seemed a little different from the original description of the museum from Ashandmisty.

Obviously some of these things aren't that interesting, I'm going to research the Seafoam Islands with this code.
UPDATE:
Seafoam Islands
Falling though holes: This is sort of funny. You fall slowly, and your sprite is glitched.
Not much else was discovered  :-\ Sometimes, as soon as you turn on the code inside the cave, the emulator crashes.

Nice finds. I might make a video of all the possible things you can do with this. You say it was different in the museum for you? That's strange. And that gibberish coming from the sleeping man…i dont get that either.

EDIT: I just noticed you said "The lab of Death" XD. Added all that to first post.

Posted by: :56 ERROR
Date: 2008-12-30 15:00:18

UPDATE:
Seafoam Islands

Nice finds. I might make a video of all the possible things you can do with this. You say it was different in the museum for you? That's strange. And that gibberish coming from the sleeping man…i dont get that either.

EDIT: I just noticed you said "The lab of Death" XD. Added all that to first post.

Lab of Death, funny.

I disagree with "nice finds" though, Seafoam Islands was dissapointing…

Date: 2008-12-31 04:32:55
Hmm, we need to do all the caves now…

I also found out how you got different results when in the museum. You left the code ON while speaking to the guy while I just turned it on then off again.

Posted by: 46664
Date: 2009-02-07 11:17:08
Something weird has happened to me.

I put in the cheat while I was in Fushia city and then I went into the Mart, but instead of being in the mart I got warped into that building in Cinnabar where there are three rooms (the place where you resurrect your fossil.  I went to the exit but I got warped to the exact same place every time.  The game keeps showing that I left the first of the three rooms.  It's neverending!  I'm not sure how to get out.  I've tried all three rooms but I keep ending up at the room where you can go into three different rooms.

EDIT:  I turned off the cheat and now I still can't leave.  I don't have any escape ropes, I can't use dig, and I can't fly.  I have access to the three rooms now but I can't exit.

Posted by: 46664
Date: 2009-02-07 11:33:54
here's a video.  Hope it works  ;D

Edit- let's try this again! :(

Edit2- I can't get it to work  >:(

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-02-07 12:41:06
Send us a link.

EDIT: Oh, and the "Modify" button is there to make additions to your posts. Use it in future instead of posting 2 consecutive posts in a row.