Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Pokémon Lapis Lazuli - Page 1

Pokémon Lapis Lazuli

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2009-09-21 03:05:00
I'm currently thinking about doing a Pokémon GSC hack. Its main purpose is to breathe new life into the game, a game a lot of us find so wonderful, and to do new things the Pokémon hacking community has yet to really do, and often find impossible.

Some of things I'd like for this to include is:

Before anyone tells me the above is impossible, remember that GSC manages to have all 251 Pokémon and two regions in 2 megabytes of space. It can easily be expanded to 4 or 8 megabytes of space, and I hear there's already a lot of free space in GSC.

Only issue with expanding GSC's space is that the real-time clock would have to be removed, thus disabling its ability to keep ticking when the Gameboy is off, and the in-game clock's code would have to be ASM hacked to use the Gameboy's CPU to keep time. However, this means the character can now do something like get in a bed and sleep until time XX:00.

Adding in all 493 Pokémon would also require ASM hacking, which would probably be easier if there was a disassembly to edit instead of hex-editing the ROM.

Any thoughts and comments on this? Also, help is welcome, since I wouldn't be able to do all this on my own.

Re: Pokémon Lapis Lazuli

Posted by: XD003
Date: 2009-09-21 03:25:54
Well, you know my thoughts on this from what I've said on IRC. Basically, it sounds like a good idea for a hack. Personally, I always thought G/S/C could use a bit of a kick-up - those hacks that people make for it (With the sole exception of Pokémon Bronze) have little interest, if any, in me.

Now, for the in-depth breakdown of the ideas:

Idea 1. All Seven Regions <— The Sevii islands are not a true region, as I discussed on IRC. Every single one of the regions has had at least 1 gym in it. And before everyone goes off on a tangent, Orre's got Pheanac's Pre Gym. Now, I'm not saying the Gym's make a region, but, if you do decide to impliment the Sevii Islands as a region, make it have at least 3 gyms. Why? Simply because this takes place 3 years after R/B/Y/Fr/Lg. Meaning the events would be different.

Idea 2. Extended Storyline <– Trailing back to what I said for Idea 1, you'll need to change the events in story a slight bit. I'm almost positive we won't be seeing the break-up of Team Rocket formulating on the Sevii Islands, especially since Team Rocket disbands for good after the events at Goldenrod Radio Tower. As for expanding the maps and revamping, that idea i'm all in favor for. The same goes for the Goldenrod Underground being a city like The Under. The other day when I was playing Heart Gold, (Emulated, might i add) and I was in the Goldenrod Underground, rescuing the Radio Tower director, I could actually see your idea layed out in my head (Maybe that's cause I'm a mapper at heart).

Idea 3a. All Pokémon <— Keep this
Idea 3b. MissingNo. and Mewthree <— This too.
Idea 3c. Unown forms surpassing 300 <— …Over excessive, am i right? I like the idea, and if you can do it, more power to you. But in all reality, do we absolutly need over 300 Unown forms?

Idea 4. New palette systems <— Ok, I'm good with this. And I'd be very interested to see how the fog can be emulated in G/S/C.

Idea 5. More Music <– That will be something I shall definitly look forward to. If you can manage to get the songs in there from Rd/Bl/Yl/Fr/Lg/Rby/Sph/Emr/D/P/Pt(/Hg/Ss), I shall applauad [sp] your work.

Idea 6. HeartGold/SoulSilver Features <— It would depend on the feature. Poketholon (Or whatever it was called, I forget), then Yes. GTS, Good luck with that *thumbs up*

I shall post more in another post when I see more to comment on.

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2009-09-21 03:40:22
I think 8 gyms would be put in Sevii Islands, Orre, and Orange Islands, though I might leave Orange Islands at four.

I don't think there would be over 300 Unown forms. It should preferably be under 255. Also, only the standalone Hiragana and Katakana syllables would be included.

It'd be more interesting if Team Rocket continued long after the Goldenrod City takeover, mainly because I liked the aspect of running into their schemes every step of the way into the story.

The GTS would be impossible to put in the game, because there are no Gameboy addons that allowed games to access the Internet.

Date: 2009-09-21 03:53:43
Well, the gyms part I like. However, I think you should add an eigth region to this game/hack. This way, you have a nice even set of new things. You'd be surpassing what most hackers have tried to do. Actually, If I remember right, FMK once tried to do something like this with one of his hacks (Never finished it, though.) An idea for an Eigth Region would be either a region of your own creation, or heck, make "The Underground" it's own region. Or, make my region, Yitria, the Eigth Region. I always did want to tie Yitria together with either Johto or Orre.

As for the Unown forms, that sounds like a plan. Just don't make it too excessive though.

Team Rocket part: Indeed, it would be more interesting. However, the point I was trying to make was the timeframe of events.

GTS/Poketholon/HgSs Features: "Technically, everything is possible" - FMK.
Yes, while correctly Emulating/Simulating a Proper GTS is impossible, making a "GTS" that already does preset trades is very possible. And every day it varies the trades. Originaly, the post was sarcasm though, but I just thought of this idea.

Also, heres a nice suggestion. However, I need to spoiler tag it for people who don't wish to have HgSs events spoiled, since this is a new event:
[spoiler]Impliment the HgSs Time Travel event, in whicn you travel back to 3 years ago and see certain events, specifically the Disappearace of Team Rocket, Silver arguing with Giovanni (His father) about not wanting to join Team Rocket, and the Giovanni battle in Tohjo Falls.[/spoiler]

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-09-21 10:37:49
I'll do the maps.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-09-21 12:39:38

I think 8 gyms would be put in Sevii Islands, Orre, and Orange Islands, though I might leave Orange Islands at four.

I don't think there would be over 300 Unown forms. It should preferably be under 255. Also, only the standalone Hiragana and Katakana syllables would be included.

It'd be more interesting if Team Rocket continued long after the Goldenrod City takeover, mainly because I liked the aspect of running into their schemes every step of the way into the story.

The GTS would be impossible to put in the game, because there are no Gameboy addons that allowed games to access the Internet.

Because we all know the PCC's nokia phone hookup was just a myth in Japan, amirite?

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-09-21 12:42:54
But that never came in America, so technically Mugendai's right.

Date: 2009-09-21 13:31:10

Because we all know the PCC's nokia phone hookup was just a myth in Japan, amirite?

That was like the Wireless Adapter that we have for Fr/Lg. But still, it would be "Theoretically" impossible to make the Full-Working GTS from the 4th Generation series of games.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-09-21 16:14:29
As much as I'd love to help, I can't do anything other than simple map and Pokémon edits. Even then, I can only do it for R/S/E/FR/LG.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-09-21 17:48:49

That was like the Wireless Adapter that we have for Fr/Lg. But still, it would be "Theoretically" impossible to make the Full-Working GTS from the 4th Generation series of games.

HOLY FUCK XD003.

Sounds pretty cool, I can't help with much though.

Date: 2009-09-21 17:52:01
Holy fuck me, why? ;-;

Anyways, a new suggestion. As I was playing Hg/Ss, I noticed something that many people will notice [and end up cursing at the game (As well as Game Freak) for] - the plot of land in Vermilion City is still unfinished. So, I was thinking that you could put in a building there like perhaps a "GTS", or a pathway into the Underground region I suggested. Just do something with it please.

Date: 2009-09-21 18:42:23

Holy f**k me, why? ;-;

Because I haven't seen you in like, EVAR.

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-09-21 19:56:54
Would this include the other profs?

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2009-09-21 20:36:22

Holy fuck me, why? ;-;

Because he wants to have sexual intercourse with you in a divine manner. *meteor'd*

On-topic, though… good luck with that. That's all I have to say.

Date: 2009-09-21 21:44:34

Holy f**k me, why? ;-;

Because he wants to have sexual intercourse with you in a divine manner. *meteor'd*

LMAOXD

Yes, it will probably include all Professors.