Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Crazy GS Experiences on rby roms - Page 1

Crazy GS Experiences on rby roms

Posted by: Destinatus
Date: 2010-05-27 07:38:54
Post your odd experiences here! Pictures optional. In any case, I battled Youngster, and got owned by a f-ing level 215 8 glitch…and my Squirtle's only level 7 T_T

EDIT: Battled a .4. I took this picture…RIGHT before it Super Glitched me.

AND: I'm using a Tentacruel Hybrid to battle an 8!

EDIT: I put in some random codes, my game's reaction is weird  O_o

Re: Crazy GS Experiences on rby roms

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-05-27 11:16:28
Here's a few interesting examples of what I've run into before:

[img]http://glitchcity.info/wiki/images/f/ff/CBGM.png[/img] - "Cycling based glitch maps" - Hex ED, EE, F1, F2, F3, F4 (automatically places player on a Bicycle and makes him/her travel in direction he/she came)

[img]http://glitchcity.info/wiki/images/3/38/Unused_town.png[/img] - Blank data for a 12th town.

[img]http://glitchcity.info/wiki/images/c/c1/Unused_trainer.png[/img] - Unused trainer

[img]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8117/titleflash.png[/img] - Making the title screen flash between lots of colours (Pokémon Yellow)

[img]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5031/gamebeforetitle.png[/img] - Starting the game before even choosing Continue or New Game (an identifier of 135)

Date: 2010-05-27 11:18:53
._. Jeez.

Attempt at FF on WPM, and my species of Tentacruel O_o

How did you get to the unused town? Give me a GS code if possible for R/B.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-05-27 11:38:33
Wonder why hex FF (ZZAZZ trainer) freezes if encountered via Gameshark ?

Date: 2010-05-27 11:42:19
*shrugs* I guess the game doesn't like ZZAZZ appearing without influence of the Mew Glitch. Yes, I have encountered a Growlithe Hybrid, named…BULBASAUR! Here's proof.

Date: 2010-05-27 11:56:50

._. Jeez.

Attempt at FF on WPM, and my species of Tentacruel O_o

How did you get to the unused town? Give me a GS code if possible for R/B.

If you try to enter it through a door the game simply freezes, you can view its Town Map data though. Try activating the code 010B5ED3 (note it might only be on Yellow) after selecting the Town Map and getting the options 'USE' and 'CANCEL'.

*shrugs* I guess the game doesn't like ZZAZZ appearing without influence of the Mew Glitch. Yes, I have encountered a Growlithe Hybrid, named…BULBASAUR! Here's proof.

Have you checked the code to see if its not just a Bulbasaur with Growlithe's sprite? Try changing the third and fourth digits, you may have found some sort of sprite changer.

Date: 2010-05-27 12:39:35

If you try to enter it through a door the game simply freezes, you can view its Town Map data though. Try activating the code 010B5ED3 (note it might only be on Yellow) after selecting the Town Map and getting the options 'USE' and 'CANCEL'.

Will try.

Have you checked the code to see if its not just a Bulbasaur with Growlithe's sprite? Try changing the third and fourth digits, you may have found some sort of sprite changer.

Why does that sound EPIC?

EDIT: I tried it…It spawned me into a glitch city. WTW revealed some odd things… including an emulator crash. Here's proof.

BIG NOTE: If you save, turn the code on, and reset, the Glitch City area is different. This is the Lost Viridian…including a garbly old guy. At Lost Route One, there is a guy that says, "blockblockblock ENEMY TWO ERROR blockblockblockblock".

Note: I tried the gatehouses to Viridian Forest, emulator crash. Tried Viridian Forest, repeating Glitch City. Tried Pewter city, spawned a more populous GC than Viridian City. I forgot to snap the Lost Pewter, so no proof D:

Date: 2010-05-27 13:22:13

BIG NOTE: If you save, turn the code on, and reset, the Glitch City area is different. This is the Lost Viridian…including a garbly old guy. At Lost Route One, there is a guy that says, "blockblockblock ENEMY TWO ERROR blockblockblockblock".

Thats understandable, if you have this code activated the game only updates other map information when you walk through a door, or enter a warp. So basically the game attempts to read the same 'unused town', but if you activate it immediately before warping, or when choosing New Game/ Continue the game still uses some of the other data, (like dialogue data) for Virdian / Route 1, etc. In this sense if you consider one variable that makes a person say "Welcome to our Pokémon Center", in another map the same variable might "I like shorts they're comfy and easy to wear" lol. The error messages and glitch dialogue occur because there is no corresponding valid data.

I'd like to know whether the game crashes if you enter a door with the code on in Pokémon Red and Blue too? I'm really excited if it doesn't.

Like if you change the value 0B to ED when walking through a door you get this [img]http://glitchcity.info/wiki/images/f/ff/CBGM.png[/img] but only on Pokémon Yellow  :-\.

Date: 2010-05-27 13:23:45
It DOES happen.  And if you're in a battle and you turn it on, when the battle finishes, the game freezes.

Date: 2010-05-27 13:29:44

It DOES happen. And if you're in a battle and you turn it on, when the battle finishes, the game freezes.

Darn, it seems like the whole data for that map was completely removed then.

Date: 2010-05-27 13:30:46

It DOES happen. And if you're in a battle and you turn it on, when the battle finishes, the game freezes.

Darn, it seems like the whole data for that map was completely removed then.

Sounds like it  :-\

Edit: Checked west of viridian, Lost Route returns. Check it!

Edit: I nailed Lost Pewter.

Date: 2010-05-27 14:10:38
I think as long as you don't later enter a warp like a door or have the game redraw the map data by ending a battle for example, you can force any other route or town to have the wrong dialogue data. I ran into a really strange effect once, I tried forcing the Pokémon League in Cerulean City or somewhere like that and depending on the direction I was facing pressing A would give different Pokémon cries.

Here's my favourite version of the map changer code, change 0B to 76 while walking through a door and the game will load the map data for the Hall of Fame.

Date: 2010-05-27 14:15:59
If you change it to 45, you go into the burglarized house in Cerulean City.
00 Will take you to pallet town. DON'T GO INTO THE GRASS WITHOUT WTW, or you will be trapped. If you WTW really far, ITS STILL ENDLESS!

Date: 2010-05-27 14:31:51

If you change it to 45, you go into the burglarized house in Cerulean City.
00 Will take you to pallet town. DON'T GO INTO THE GRASS WITHOUT WTW, or you will be trapped. If you WTW really far, ITS STILL ENDLESS!

Here's a project of mine documenting where every value takes you here http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,5952.0.html ; : I just finished it about a month ago so I hope its helpful.

Date: 2010-05-27 14:38:07
Thanks, I'll give you info on any new discoveries!

Edit: The 01XX5DD3 acts odd in R/B. I did 0A and 0B respectively, and it inverted the world. Not even kidding. View these pictures for proof.