Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Crazy GS Experiences on rby roms - Page 2

Re: Crazy GS Experiences on rby roms

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-05-30 07:08:06

Thanks, I'll give you info on any new discoveries!

Edit: The 01XX5DD3 acts odd in R/B. I did 0A and 0B respectively, and it inverted the world. Not even kidding. View these pictures for proof.

Thats very interesting; the data structure is slightly different in R/B, so 01XX5ED3 should have been what you may have been looking for (the same effect as 01XX5DD3 on Yellow). By using 01XX5DD3 on R/B though (01XX5CD3 has the same effect on Yellow), the function is slightly different.

I just evaluated how the game loads map data a little and I think I've found out what that code does. Say if you walk into a cave, there is a little screen transition where the colours appear to fade into a black screen and the new map location is loaded, (this may actually be essential in some cases - where the map tilesets change, I guess it is possible that you would see some NPCs changing sprites before the new map has loaded). Shortly after, there is another transition until the game sets the frame back to the default (00). This code seems to alter the default transition frame, if this is (00) the game should keep the normal palette, if this value is something other than 00 when a new map is loaded the transition will not happen, because if it did a new transition would immediately follow the slight change in palette frame in game.

Posted by: Destinatus
Date: 2010-05-30 07:23:11
Holy crap, I never realized that possibility! I'll look, see, and figure it out.

Date: 2010-05-30 07:32:35
I've tried another 'close by' byte which gave interesting and perhaps useful results, although it seems to crash sometimes, possibly because the game takes you out of the map's possible (valid) region, especially when travelling to new areas.

I don't know exactly what it does but the code 01XX60D3 (for Yellow) does something to the player's (and any objects')  relative coordinates (according to the game), although what is seen (whole player and map-wise) remains unchanged.

Date: 2010-05-30 08:09:57
I tested it, and you get random glitch cities. I tried 12, and here's a picture. I was at the safari zone, and I tried to leave…

WTC Note: I battled my rival on the way to Victory Road, it started legit, bla bla bla…I start the fight, and he sends out…DRUM ROLL PLEASE…O! Yes, a level 255 Glitch Magnemite named O!

I have a VMV Movie for the fight…too bad it froze on H Poke D: I'm using some GS codes to keep my Blastoise from dying, so I apologize for the HP loss laggage.

Date: 2010-06-01 08:08:05
Look who I ran into on Yellow with a GS code: Ghost Missingno!

I also did a battle style code (beta style) and turned it off, look at the results!

Date: 2010-06-01 08:14:00

I tested it, and you get random glitch cities. I tried 12, and here's a picture. I was at the safari zone, and I tried to leave…

WTC Note: I battled my rival on the way to Victory Road, it started legit, bla bla bla…I start the fight, and he sends out…DRUM ROLL PLEASE…O! Yes, a level 255 Glitch Magnemite named O!

I have a VMV Movie for the fight…too bad it froze on H Poke D: I'm using some GS codes to keep my Blastoise from dying, so I apologize for the HP loss laggage.

Did you happen to battle your rival before he chose his 'eevolution'? That commonly happens where the game brings up data for 00 as the roster value (where 01, 02, 03 etc are his normal team but with Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon etc). 00 is undefined so he battles with a glitched team. Its quite interesting actually.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you was talking about Pokémon Yellow then, perhaps the same thing would happen on Pokémon Red and Blue before he obtains his starter Pokémon?

Date: 2010-06-01 08:18:11
'Interesting'? Figures, my Emulator came…*pinches fingers together* THIS close to crashing. LOL, just kidding, the Glitch Gary on Yellow sounds more hilarious! I'll supply you with more Yellow-ness soon.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-06-01 13:12:08

Edit: Sorry, I thought you was talking about Pokémon Yellow then, perhaps the same thing would happen on Pokémon Red and Blue before he chooses Eevee?

You mean "before he chooses his starter" right ?

Date: 2010-06-01 13:16:41

Edit: Sorry, I thought you was talking about Pokémon Yellow then, perhaps the same thing would happen on Pokémon Red and Blue before he chooses Eevee?

You mean "before he chooses his starter" right ?

Yes

Date: 2010-06-01 13:55:40
Oh well. A typo doesn't hurt, right? I'm going to my granddad's house today, so I can supply you with FR/LG/R/S/E oddities.

Off-Topic note: My youtube is NautifyJagger, so look for that name. I'll have a video up soon.

Back on topic: What are some GS codes you know'll work a FR/LG ROM?

Date: 2010-06-01 14:10:58

Oh well. A typo doesn't hurt, right? I'm going to my granddad's house today, so I can supply you with FR/LG/R/S/E oddities.

Off-Topic note: My youtube is NautifyJagger, so look for that name. I'll have a video up soon.

Back on topic: What are some GS codes you know'll work a FR/LG ROM?

Well, its been years since I've ever experimented with Pokémon Firered and Leafgreen, what version are you using? An NTSC/USA or PAL/European game? I think Supercheats has some for the NTSC version here http://www.supercheats.com/gameboyadvance/pokemonfireredcodes.htm

Date: 2010-06-01 14:14:39
NTSC/USA

Date: 2010-06-02 12:53:52
Can you put up that GS code you put on YouTube? I can't access youtube at home, so I need it.

Date: 2010-06-02 15:18:43

Can you put up that GS code you put on YouTube? I can't access youtube at home, so I need it.

Which one was it exactly? I put up a few, so I'll list all the ones I put in my video descriptions here.

010E3DCD - Title Pikachu triggers a flashing lights effect (Yellow)
01877EE5 - Start the game immediately (Yellow)
01877FE5 - Start the game immediately (Red/Blue - untested)
01XX5ED3 - Map modifier (Red/Blue)
01XX5DD3 - Map modifier (Yellow)

Sounds modifier (Make your own glitch music/stop all sounds) (Red/Blue):
01XX2BC0, 01XX2CC0, 01XX2DC0, 01XX2EC0

Sounds modifier (Make your own glitch music/stop all sounds) (Yellow):
01XX2AC0, 01XX2BC0, 01XX2CC0, 01XX2DC0

01XX05D0 - Pokémon you are viewing in party modifier (Gold/Silver)
010061C1 - 256 width stages (SMB Deluxe)
0102C1C1 - Move anywhere (SMB Deluxe)

Date: 2010-06-02 16:55:54
The Always Wild Pokemon code for Yellow.