Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Conficker - Page 1

Conficker

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-01-20 13:17:21
I just got word of this worm, this afternoon, and it is powerful. It's already effected nearly over 9 million Microsoft Windows-based personal computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

That's to some infomation, about it and it's shocked me. I've been reading about other computer worms/viruses all day, and my mother told me about this worm, this afternoon. It has other names, like:

Downup, Downandup and Kido. I heard it also sends E-mails, so what you do don't open any "strange" emails, incase they are the Conficker worm.

Re: Conficker

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-01-20 16:30:53

I just got word of this worm, this afternoon, and it is powerful. It's already effected nearly over 9 million Microsoft Windows-based personal computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

That's to some infomation, about it and it's shocked me. I've been reading about other computer worms/viruses all day, and my mother told me about this worm, this afternoon. It has other names, like:

Downup, Downandup and Kido. I heard it also sends E-mails, so what you do don't open any "strange" emails, incase they are the Conficker worm.

Downadup…
I know that worm…
I learned about it here:
http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/
Still… everyone still opens all there e-mails usually.

Date: 2009-01-20 16:37:49
I never open my Emails. I just delete 'em. Conflicker, was found last year in October. So, all I can say this, this is one bad ass worm. I've been reading about other viruses/worms all day, and half of them I've read about on what they did, I was like wow. I knew there are some dangerous ones, out there but seems like Conficker, is the next generation in dangerous worms.

Date: 2009-01-20 16:43:27

I never open my Emails. I just delete 'em. Conflicker, was found last year in October. So, all I can say this, this is one bad ass worm. I've been reading about other viruses/worms all day, and half of them I've read about on what they did, I was like wow. I knew there are some dangerous ones, out there but seems like Conficker, is the next generation in dangerous worms.

Yes.
It also  seams to beat the supposedly next generation antivirus… type. Sandboxing.
It also spreads via USB devices(Iphone, Ipod, cameras, USB sticks, ect.) And in windows vista/7 it does scocial engineering. It has the run Icon look like the "view files and folders" button. It also says that exact thing.

Date: 2009-01-20 17:03:05
Well, for it to infect over 9 million computers, like it has. I have Vista Service Pack 1, from 07. Plus I keep my anti-virus, and laptop up to date.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-01-20 17:15:07
How did it spread so fast though?

Date: 2009-01-20 17:17:58
I don't think anyone knows, yet after all this is a new worm, that's pretty much out of control.

Posted by: boxman
Date: 2009-01-20 17:41:58

How did it spread so fast though?

Its because so few people downloaded the patch to stop it, so they got infected.

Date: 2009-01-20 17:46:21
I'm guessing they didn't know about it. I didn't until this afternoon, on some Internet news.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-01-20 17:54:48
Well, whoever invented it must be arrested.

Date: 2009-01-20 18:23:42
Well, some people who have created viruses/worms have never been known nor caught.

Date: 2009-01-20 18:31:46
And some became parts of AV companies.

Date: 2009-01-20 18:37:28
I was reading, about a virus, called Brain boot sector virus, (aka Pakistani flu, in 1986.) and I was surprised, on how it was and how it would effect the system.

Date: 2009-01-20 18:41:24

I was reading, about a virus, called Brain boot sector virus, (aka Pakistani flu, in 1986.) and I was surprised, on how it was and how it would effect the system.
Where did you read about it?

Date: 2009-01-20 18:43:20
I've been reading about worms/viruses on Wikipedia.