Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Conficker - Page 2

Re: Conficker

Posted by: crazysquid34
Date: 2009-01-20 19:48:02
Ain't the brain boot virus the one that crashes your computer? (Ain't is a word!)

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-01-21 06:38:06
It crashed the old computers, back in 1986. I'll try find a picture of the Brain virus. Here it is, this is what an infected floppy disc would look like.

[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj291/TeamRocketMutouYami/Brain-virus.jpg[/img]

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-01-21 14:39:41
This is why my computer is loaded with updates.

Date: 2009-01-21 14:43:43
All computers, should have Automatic Updates. Mine does. Mine laptop is a HP laptop so that and Windows Vista, checks for updates, everyday. My anti-virus is always up to date and my firewall, is always turn on.

Date: 2009-01-21 18:21:33
That virus is old! You don't need to worry about it, but you do need to worry about a new virus. One that spreads as quickly like that could destroy Windows vista!

Date: 2009-01-21 19:29:17
Duh, this is why I created this topic about the new worm - Conficker, to warn others about it. *Shakes her head* READ things, before you post.

Date: 2009-01-21 19:31:33
Okay, but I am mainly trying to get the 50 post arcade thing to see if it is any good. Oh by the bye sorry about your brother. I didn't know.

Date: 2009-01-21 19:41:14
Excuse me? Who the hell has been saying what? I'm still trying to find more about this Conficker, like emails, it might send but I've been quite busy today so, far I've found no news on Conficker, yet.

Date: 2009-01-21 19:46:12
The only way you can track it is if you could find it on a recent computer and cross reference it with some program. The program I am speaking of is of course a hacking program that can extract special information from any other program such as, when it effected it etc. I only know one dude who has that program, but I don't know who he ACTUALLY is. He is a freind of my dad and gave me an illegal copy of flash player.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-01-21 19:48:45

Okay, but I am mainly trying to get the 50 post arcade thing to see if it is any good. Oh by the bye sorry about your brother. I didn't know.

What?

The arcade is down. It has been down since the dawn of time. And if you're posting nonsense just to jack your postcount up, don't bother - you actually have 78 posts as of now, but if that continues you'll be restricted and won't be able to use those 50-post features no matter how many posts you have.

Date: 2009-01-21 19:50:28
I only created this topic to warn others, and so others can talk about this deadly worm. I'm not fully sure on what it can do, but it sounds quite strong, and it's out of control.

Date: 2009-01-21 19:50:42
Why did nobody tell me this? DAMN YOU YOUTUBE, DAMN YOU! I should start reading old posts more, if only they were in some magical folder which I can find them in.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-01-21 19:50:53
He means forum games/rpgs. I'm removing all references to this now. (post count)

Date: 2009-01-21 19:54:14
Right, well if he does try posting there, he won't be accepted into any of the RPGs. Anyway can we please get back on topic? If not then if you admins, want to lock this to provent any spam, go a head. I've just found, some more news, on Confiker. I'm reading about in on this NBR, website. Here's what they have to say.:

Conficker worm: worst is yet to come:

Conficker has wriggled into millions of PCs, leaving them open to receive a nasty parcel of malware from its author. But the worm ? shaping up to be the biggest virus attack the world has ever seen - has yet to deliver its payload to a single infected computer. Antivirus experts tell NBR they?re waiting for the other boot to drop.

Peter Sparkes, senior manager for managed security services across Asia Pacific and Japan for Symantec, the largest antivirus player, tells NBR his company has yet to spot a single instance of a PC being hit by a Conficker payload (although the Ministry of Health did take its systems offline during a 15 day battle to root out the worm itself).

The worm works in three stages. In the first, it infects a PC, either online or ? in a nice retro touch recalling the days of floppy-borne viruses ? a USB thumb drive. Next, it ?phones home? to a rogue web server controlled by Conficker?s creator (whom Symantec?s rival F-Secure fingers as a Ukrainian hacker), letting the server know the PC is infected, and now open to receive a payload of malware.

While the malware payload could theoretically be any piece of software, Mr Sparkes notes that unlike the early internet days of show-off hackers and amateur vandals, today?s virus writers are all about making money.

He also notes that Conficker is a very slickly-written piece of software, noted for its uniquely insidious ability to randomly generate 250 server domain names every day (most worms are easier to nab because they ?phone home? to a single server).

Mr Sparkes says Conficker (also known as Downadup) is continuing to mutate. One new variant attacks Windows Vista (previously, Windows XP and older versions were more vulnerable). Another hijacks the ?autoplay? function in Windows 7 (Vista?s successor, still in beta).

It?s unlikely such a sophisticated operation would not be building up to a major attack.

Typically, today?s malware attempts to sniff out personal details that could provide its author with access to the victim?s bank account or online auction account ? or simply holds and individual or company?s data to ransom.

So when Conficker?s payload does hit, it?s likely some of the owners of the estimated 3 million (by Symantec?s count) to 9 million (by F-Secure?s) infected PCs are going to see their online accounts looted.

It?s possible Conficker?s author has set a certain date when all infected PCs will be hit in one big-bang attack, which would maximise the rapidly-reconfiguring worm?s chances against being blocked by security software updates. However, it?s equally possible incremental attacks will take place.

Although Conficker is shaping up to possibly be the world?s largest ever virus attack, Mr Sparkes says infections are concentrated in the small business segment, and geographically in China, Russia and South America ? countries where there is less security infrastructure, and fewer have applied Microsoft?s relevant Windows patch (covered here) or auto-update their antivirus software.

Date: 2009-01-21 20:03:26
It is on wiki, so wouldnt the new antivirus protectors be able to detect it?