Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Announcements

Treatment of new members - Page 1

Treatment of new members

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-03-03 22:41:46
tachi makes a point here in his view that new members are treated a bit too harshly

I can think of two specific instances where this happens
1) Members with poor grammar - yes, grammar is part of our rules but to call someone an idiot based on grammar is pretty idiotic in and of itself. Let the Staff remind them kindly that they are required to type correctly; if they lash out and insult us because of that, then they prove their idiocy.
2) Members who use the term "MissingNo." to refer to any glitch - this is one of the community's unwritten rules which is sometimes enforced even more strongly than written ones and I've seen many instances of people being called idiots because they say "MissingNo. is in Diamond/Pearl" (for example) when referring to "D/P box" or some other similar glitch. This sort of thing was perpetuated by sites like trsrockin and probably also by Serebii Forums, Pokecommunity etc. way back in '03-'05. Now that trsrockin is fading away it's happening less but it still appears every once in a while. I'd like to request that members and Staff do not insult anyone who refers to some other glitch as a MissingNo. Instead, please just tell them kindly that we use MissingNo. to refer to the glitch in Red/Blue/Yellow with Pokedex number zero (and is not named 'M) and then answer the question/post as if they were talking about the actual glitch (i.e. a question about "MissingNo. in Gold" should be answered with respect to ?????, not a dozen posts saying "MISSINGNO ISN'T IN GOLD YOU NOOB")

I honestly think we need some special clause in the rules to deal with these instances, but I don't want to restrict the powers of experienced members and staff to "tell it like it is" without sugarcoating. But there is a line between "Please remember to type with proper grammar" and "YOU HAVE BAD GRAMMAR YOU IDIOT", or "MissingNo. isn't in Gold, but you can find ????? (000) with the cheat code 0100EDD0" and "MISSINGNO ISN'T IN GOLD YOU MORON DO YOUR RESEARCH"

Re: Treatment of new members

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-03-03 22:58:03
Well, I guess it is all true but after a while it really does get annoying. D/P Box, is also named as MissingNo. either due to its appearance, or it has no Pokedex number, like the original MissingNo. and 'M. It isn't just the staff it's also the members, who tend to get a little bitchy. I'll admit I can be a total hot-head, it'll be because when I lose sleep it pretty much does my head in. I don't take too much notice of the new lot unless something really gets annoying.

Date: 2009-03-04 00:28:02
I'm only bringing this up because some recent new users are getting the idea that we aren't welcoming because certain users (i.e. CJMiller, the only user who has been able to attain a WOM of 50 without being Murph) come onto their threads and insult them at any chance they get.

However, pointing out a fact ("Game Maker does not make emulator ROMs") isn't flaming in the sense of "Hey someone ban this noob" and should not be discouraged, if the OP bitches about that then it does show immaturity.

Date: 2009-03-04 01:42:45
Well, Game Maker is confusing as I wanted to create my own Shadow Pokemon/glitch game but it confused me half to death so I didn't post anything about it as with me it'll be too confusing anyway. I guess what's happened some are blind to see that not all new members, are Murph. All they have to do is check the IP adress and compare it to Murph's.

Posted by: Bluelatios
Date: 2009-03-04 11:43:41
Indeed, I agree that many seem to treat them a bit hard. Not to worry though, I always give them a good welcome! If they are n00bs, then we should kindly encourage them to work out their flaws with grammar and dumb stuff they say. If they continue to reject help with that and stubbornly refuse to change, THEN we take more drastic measures. Hope this helps  ;).

Date: 2009-03-04 17:16:01
I agree with Latios, there. Half of the members like Shinji, tend to give 'em a hard time. Again I don't take much notice, since half the time I'm not at my desk or I'm busy with an online game, but left Firefox on. We should all keep an eye on the members and the newbies, to make sure there won't be anymore bullshit about Murph/Minimoose.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-03-04 17:45:15
I totally am with you guys on this. I seem to be one of the few members not being an asshole to newbies.  This is a message to all of the parties previously mentioned: " I will not tolerate this type of behavior in these forums. If I see any of this ever again I will personally see to it that Drastic mesure are taken by the admins and or mods against you. Plus I'll report your offending post eleventy - billion times just so you get the message. I will not tolerate the mistreatment of newbies unless they truly deserve it which doesn't seem to be the case in any of these situations. If you are having a bad day post in the Falme war topic in the Forum games section to relieve stress. or create a topic and type what's wrong in all caps. I usually feel better after doing either of those things.

Date: 2009-03-04 18:00:36
You do get a strange one at times, but other than that most are okay but do get a bit annoying. I don't mind them requesting a sprite from me but I do wish they would ask what I can create instead of asking me something that comes from my unable to do list, like scratching. I can't do that. I know MissingNo. is famous and all but not ALL are it. The other slots in the R/B/Y games, are filed with the other glitches, not MissingNo. and 'M. I've been playing since I was 7, and I was sure there was more than one glitch in the games, but I have no AR so I couldn't find out. If they're referring to D/P Box aka Diamond and Pearl MissingNo. than that's fine, but ever other glitch, named MissingNo. isn't funny. It gets annoying, and I can understand others getting pissed about it. It's like with a friend of mine her friend has a hard time typing as she's not used a keyboard before, so how they don't know that the newbie isn't used to a keyboard and is trying to get used to it and will make a few typos in their grammar as they might not of been able to get a computer/laptop until recently.

Date: 2009-03-04 18:04:51
And that's understandable. We don't want college-level writing and we shouldn't check meticulously to make sure every period and comma is there, or that hyphens are used instead of minus signs etc. However, it's easy to distinguish between a user who actually is having difficulty, a user who speaks English as a second language or might not know much English at all, and a native English speaker who is just being lazy.

Date: 2009-03-04 18:08:26
I do screw up sometimes, it'll be because I'm such a fast typer. It's an annoying ability I have where I can type very quickly and sometimes I miss a key or it doesn't work. When I was younger I used to suck at typing yet I was bit of a computer whiz back then but I've improved a bit but some problems still happen with me. I know most come from other sides of the globe, and they might not know very much English. Well, some might speak a foreign language, but I wouldn't it be best to have an translator thing on here, like Google has to translate a page that isn't in English but is supported to translate?

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-03-04 20:49:04
Maybe we should advertise Google Translator on the site so that we can get more international folks on the site. Actually we might be able to code our own translator built right into each forum post. In other words a separate button like the add quote and edit post buttons.
it was just a thought.

Of course it also means we have to have people who know those languages first.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-03-29 08:21:48
http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,4711.0.html

Proposing this gets moved to Forum Announcements and added into the Forum Rules.

Date: 2009-03-29 19:55:39
Done.

Date: 2009-03-30 05:09:34
It seems, we're having problems already, with one of the newbies. Axaj, is starting already, and the new member hasn't been here more than 2 days. We really need to watch all the members, who tend to call the newbies, noobs. It's like I said before some people may not be used to a keyboard, or have what I have, which is learning disabilities, yet I'm still trying to improve my problems, but I fail each time. Shinji, and Axaj, should be kept a close eye on.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-03-30 09:25:55
I am quite impatient with stupid people and I am usually quick to judge.  I hardly ever try to explain things to newbies because while I'm studying hard to hopefully get into MIT, my peers only care about their penis size and how much pot they've smoked.  I'm sorry if I have offended anyone who is trying to improve.