Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Announcements

Treatment of new members - Page 4

Re: Treatment of new members

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-04-07 19:22:58

Nice guys finish last.

Only because all the other people got banned or arrested by cops before they got to the finish line.

That's quite a memorable quote you've got right there Gary. Someone should sig that. (not me though I have enough shit in my signature already. Actually what the hell. I was  getting tired of seeing my least favorite pokemon's face in my sig anyway.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-04-07 21:28:21

It's not the lack of new members, is the lack of politeness, hence Shinji. Axaj, can be okay but posting about glitches in my thread about my Pokemon team, was a bit silly. If I was asking how to get a bloody Q glitch, I would of gotten one years ago. I know how to get a Q, but VBA can't trade. It wouldn't kill Shinji, (other admins/mods might want to kill Shinji), to be nice to new people once and a while. I can be a bit harsh, when I'm pretty much suffering lack of sleep and I get a bit moody, at times. I like having new people here, helping them with something I know of. I can understand most calling other glitches MissingNo./'M, as I'm guessing they are unsure of the other glitches, like good old Charizard 'M, and Female Symbol. MissingNo. is a very popular glitch within the first generation, and I can understand newbies, getting Charizard 'M, confused with 'M, due to the fact Charizard 'M's name, is like 'M, with the pixels beside its name, like when you counter 'M. There's no need to be rude to the new members, if they haven't seen other glitches like most of have, then what gives you any right to call them stupid, or whatever? It doesn't. At first, when I was 7, I first encountered MissingNo. that scared me half to death, but as I got older, I was sure there was more than 'M, and MissingNo. as I look all over sites, to find out more until I came across this place 3 years ago. It's nice to have new people around here, but I'm getting fed up with the rudeness caused by either Axaj, or Shinji. For once, would it kill them just to be polite/nice?

I tend to get very impatient with people who don't know as much as I do, and I often view other people as below me.  As you can expect, I am not the best person to be around(but at least I'm not as bad as Shinji).  I try to be nice but I just get angry.  Overall, I'm trying to avoid communication with new members as much as possible, since it seems to cause problems.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-04-08 05:05:23
I have a slight short fuse for a temper, but I don't take it out on the newbies. Some people on here could be little kids, for fuck sake. It wouldn't be their fault it they don't know much as we all do.

Posted by: Tachiforgothispassword
Date: 2009-06-08 10:24:11
*sniff* I think i'm going to cry. Thanks for looking at that Abawayax, Good to be back!

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-06-08 10:48:16
I can change your password on your old account.  Just PM me the password you want it changed to.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-06-09 12:14:58
I feel that this topic has been comprehensively covered by the previous posters, but I want to put my point out there. Basically, my problem with mistreating newbies is that I was once a newbie too. Perhaps I didn't have the same grammar/spelling issues as the majority of newbies, but that's just because I habitually use precise language. Nevertheless, being a newbie isn't terribly fun, so it's nice to help people out when they have a lack of GCL experience. Being rude to them is holding back a potential contributing member. Just think: what if you were the newbie? Would being flamed about using "wynaut" instead of "why not" make you want to stay on the site and reform your ways?

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-06-09 18:16:43
Don't insult new members until they are like, say, a week old.

Rule possiblity?

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-06-09 22:12:37
I'd say 2 weeks for foreigners in case they don't speak English well.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-06-09 22:27:15

I'd say 2 weeks for foreigners in case they don't speak English well.

It is unlikely that only two weeks would significantly improve a foreigner's English to tolerable, unless they had previously taken a course in English. Because our chosen language is so screwed up (i.e. homonyms, contractions, decrease in verb endings, incorporation of other languages, idioms), a month or two is a better time estimate for foreigners.

Don't insult new members until they are like, say, a week old.

Rule possiblity?

A fortnight (15 days) might work too; I can only log in every other day most of the time (laptop only at one house) so I can imagine others would have the same problems. And what is the definition of "insult"? Would constructive criticism be allowed?

Posted by: atoms2ashes
Date: 2009-06-10 05:41:51
My opinion on the topic:

Some people ARE a bit mean to some newbies and certain members. Most of the time because they can't type a correct sentence, or are annoying.

such as pEachy, who uses a Mobile phone browser, therefore it is difficult to type a well spelled and punctuated sentence. I don't have a hatred against people who have difficulty (or laziness) to type well, but it sometimes gets confusing…

Mutou Yami has a habit of pressing the Comma button, and sure, it can get confusing sometimes, but No one should ever dare call her an idiot. She is someone to be respected as a person.

I have a habit of ranting longetivly, but I don't care if someone calls me an idiot, since I really am for just posting here when someone is currently posting about something else.