Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Dead Red cartridge .. - Page 1

Dead Red cartridge ..

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-04-16 10:22:25
My Red cartridge is dead. Literally. Continuing and talking to someone spawns glitch text and random cries. Using the PC does the same. Starting a new game freezes. And I have to hold the cartridge in to actually investigate. Would I be able to save the cartridge from this state ? Would removing the save battery be a good first choice ?

Re: Dead Red cartridge ..

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-04-16 12:26:55
No.  I know from experience that your cartridge is fried.  The only thing to do now is get rid of it.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-04-16 13:16:31
By sounds of it the battery inside is dead/dying. This has happened to me on my first Blue when I was 7. My game would go slow, as I was about to fight Misty, my game would just freeze and the screen would go white. So, all I can suggest is, get a new Red or find away to get a Nintendo Screwdriver, and get a watch battery, as I'm sure is what size they are. Any data might be lost or might still be here, but I'm unsure, since my late brother lost his data on his Gold, from a dying battery. The only trouble is, I'm unsure where you can get Nintendo Screwdrivers, since my brother needed one to replace his Gold's battery to get his Pokemon back, but sadly we couldn't get one, so I guess either getting a new Red, Wako, or a new battery. My yellow cartridge, has had its moments on dying on me, either because it's dead old or the battery is lose, but I don't know. Wouldn't it be eaiser to use ROMs? I do as t saves me worrying about the battery dying the cartridge, but I will have to save my Red Team incase I do lose 'em.

Date: 2009-04-16 15:51:34
thx. i've tested a few things. in-game delete code (B+Select+Up on title screen) doesn't work. my party cannot be viewed. PCs don't work and i'm stuck on Cinnabar Island. i've tried using my broken xploder but decided to give up after 2 hours ! oh, and i can't save so no luck corrupting evenmore via this ! i'll try removing the save battery tomorrow (i already have the tools to do this !)

Date: 2009-04-16 15:59:52
That is one fucked up cartridge. What exactly did you do if you don't mind me asking?

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2009-04-16 17:43:11
Probably the TM55 move. That's what ended my Blue version. Interestingly enough, I was also on Cinnabar when that happened.

Date: 2009-04-16 18:26:44
I could only encounter 'M and MissingNo. on my Blue.

Date: 2009-04-17 03:00:48
right, i didnt actually do anything. i dont know what caused the corruption. i got it off a friend of a friend and the old man trick had been done a bunch of times. it survived long enough for me to beat the E4 on it with the team. i didnt do anything else on it as my xploderGB broke before i got the cart! (it froze when adding codes to try and put hPoke on a friends blue)

Date: 2009-04-17 07:16:01
Hmm, I used to hunt for MissingNo. and 'M, to research 'em as I was interesting in glitches at the time when I was 7 but I don't have a GS/AR/GG in the UK, so I couldn't track down the others like Cgarizard 'M.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2009-04-17 07:57:30

By sounds of it the battery inside is dead/dying. This has happened to me on my first Blue when I was 7.

I find that interesting, as given your age, it would have been 1995 when that happened, well before the English release date of the Pokemon games.

Date: 2009-04-17 11:29:53

By sounds of it the battery inside is dead/dying. This has happened to me on my first Blue when I was 7.

I find that interesting, as given your age, it would have been 1995 when that happened, well before the English release date of the Pokemon games.

..and a year before the Japan release !!!

Date: 2009-04-17 11:47:08
What? I was born in 1988, so it'll be with the age difference. Just a second let me check something.. Pokemon started in 1995, and the games about out in 1998. So I must of been about 10 when I got into the games, but in 1997 (I was 9) when I was into Pokemon when it over here. I was sure I was 7, but as I got older a lot of my memory-area in my brain has failed.

Date: 2009-04-17 13:56:10
haha. Anyway, back on topic, nothing's been done with the save battery yet. But thanks to my friend and that Red, I'm partially cured of by glitchophobia. In fact, I actually like listening to glitchy music and seeing "TRAINER9>" (what happens when you try to delete the save file via B+Select+Up)

Date: 2009-04-17 14:12:46
Trainer9? I'm still struggling to get WTRAINER I think the name was to appear without freezing my game as I want to research it.

Date: 2009-04-17 16:07:33
ahh, but TRAINER9► was just pulled from a point in the cartridge. it was just text (mixed with glitchy music). and it happened when i pushed B+Select+Up on the title screen.