Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Dead Red cartridge .. - Page 2

Re: Dead Red cartridge ..

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-04-17 16:57:00
Weird. It's a shame it isn't a real glitch. It would of been worth researching.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-04-17 17:02:32
I lost my Red version quite recently. So much for my prized pokemon with attacks they aren't supposed to have I trained Specifically for Pokemon Stadium games. Also so much for my, glitches. I'm sure it might be around but I'm unsure where.

My Silver version is still alive and well. It does crash every now and then. Also sometimes on the N64 transfer pack it stops getting read by the Transfer pack at random times. A sure sign that the battery is dying.

Btw Motou Yami, even when you replace the save battery, your save data will be gone for good from what I know. (which isn't much since I've never attempted to replace the save battery in my cousin Nick's Gold version which was given to him on the same day as my Silver version (which both were originally intended for me but I gave my Cousin Gold because I had an obsession with Lugia back then.)

What makes it Ironic is that although our games were the same age his internal battery died before mine did. it died almost two years before mine which I found rather interesting.
Hell, at least I caught Raikou and Suicune on my Silver version.  My save file exists as far as I know. However my fear of the internal battery dying has kept me from playing it.

I'm only 10 pokemon away (Excluding Celebi) From having all the poklemon (except for Celebi of course.)

Date: 2009-04-17 17:48:47
Hmm, it's spelt Mutou, and ever since I caught the Yellow MissingNo. on my Yellow, it hasn't deleted its self in 2 years.

Date: 2009-04-17 21:36:04
Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow don't have real time clocks. The real time clocks are the reason why the batteries die fast on Gold and Silver. (and I'm assuming Crystal) The game has to not only save data for the player's location, owned pokemon storage locations, and etc, it also needs to save the time of day and the date. I'm not exactly 100% sure how the game knows what time it is when you resume play but I'm assuming that has a lot to do with what drains the battery.

Date: 2009-04-17 21:40:14
Before when I needed to check something on my late brother's Crystal, since I wasn't far on mine (I started again), and I couldn't remember a sites name, so I needed to check a Pokedex Number of a Pokemon, so when I checked the game again the next day, all I kept getting was, this data is corrupted, and it kept saying that the time wasn't set either so about a month later the data was completely gone and it was all I had left of my brother's Pokemon. Stadium 2, doesn't have much but his team was on Crystal, and I couldn't save them…

Date: 2009-04-17 21:49:32
That sucks. Are you sure your brother didn't register his party on Stadium 2 in free battle or somewhere else? I still have remnants of my long since erased pokemon files for various pokemon games still floating around on games like pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 and pokemon Colosseum.

Date: 2009-04-17 21:57:45
No, half of the Pokemon on Stadium 2, which I own as it was his, were only Pokemon he caught, and not trained. He had already lost his Gold team, when his Gold data suddenly went when he was alive. I know how it feels to lose Pokemon, as before on Stadium, my Blue suddenly had an error as the screen was black with writing (I don't remember what it said), and when I restarted, went back to check my Pokemon, they were all gone. All boxes were empty. I was grateful that my Red team, is safe, but I had a lot of Pokemon on my Stadium, and a very good and fast Staryu I was gonna raise to give to my brother to replace his lost Starmie, on his Gold but the Staryu went, along with my strong Marowak.

Date: 2009-04-17 22:24:49
That story almost made water come out my eyes…. I'm not joking either…. :'(

Date: 2009-04-17 22:33:09
It does bug me when people ask me what happen to him. It's a sensitive question to ask me, as it's already been 2 years since he's been gone but I don't want to talk about it, as the night when he died, will come back and haunt me. I have enough nightmares with my brother in them… We used to train together, we both loved Pokemon. I got Pokemon Gold and Silver late, since I couldn't get it but on one of my birthdays, I managed to get both Gold and Silver, so they've been with me since. All though I am worried about my Gold, as when I first had it, I was outside in the backyard, I was in the shade, and I think I was training a Slowking (I'm unsure), and my game suddenly froze, and went white and my data was gone. I had the game like an hour or a day.

Date: 2009-04-17 23:17:25
Technically I didn't ask what happened to him but I'd imagine it wasn't anything to do with natural causes. Don't tell me regardless if I'm wrong because I don't want to make you upset. Oh and Yami as strange as it may sound my older sister is autistic like you. She's about your age too. The only thing is shes not in to glitches or video Games. However you do remind me of my sister in some ways a lot. Perhaps thats why we get along so well. Then again I do enjoy tormenting my sister but not because shes autistic. I just enjoy making her mad which is the same case with everyone else that I feel needs some attention from me. I still love her regardless. She's family.
You though Yami, one thing I still don't know you well enough (which is the same case with Shinji but I ignore that aspect because its fun to torment him.) and also I have no real reason to torment you because I haven't really found one. I don't mean to hurt anyone tormenting them I just enjoy getting a reaction out of them and others around them.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-04-18 07:46:06
About my Red .. the save battery is out, we just need to play the waiting game now :)

EDIT: hmm, the save game's been cleared, but still does the same when tying to start a new game .. :(

Date: 2009-04-18 08:01:10
Well, my version of it Glisp, seems to be "advanced" where, I get pissed too easily, my emotions, are always out of control my depression levels are pretty much off the charts, I don't remember much, I get jelous at times because I do love the male in my avatar, and I forever will. At first I wasn't sure how I got the "curse" as I call it, when I fund out a few years later in my adulthood that my father has it. And my mother never told me until much later.

The saved game deleting sort of reminds me when my brother had gotten a fake Blue a few years back. No matter how many times you saved the data would be gone and an odd message would appear as well. The battery sounds like it is failing where at times my Yellow has done the same to me, but I'm not sure when I was raising  my lvl 45 (fast) Pikachu, and my GBC slipped outof my hands when I was younger and landed on my foot caused the game to turn white so I restarted and either the game file was still there, or was it gone… Bah I don't rememeber. So, ever since I've had my Yellow, all its done over the years is piss me off. At first when I thought my data was gone forever with the Mewtwo I had with a special of over 400, (it was a real Mewtwo. Some you can get with higher specials/speeds) so I turned my game off and back on and my data returned. But as soon as I caught the Yellow MissingNo. my data has been save since. All though when I did catch the Yellow MissingNo. I kept getting: "MISSINGNO. LEARNED! MISSINGNO. LEARNED! MISSINGNO. LEARNED!" until my game froze.

Date: 2009-04-18 22:13:19
Your problems with Yellow Missingno are normal everyday reports. I've never been  able to get past the encounter screen of Yellow Missingno without the game freezing on me.

Oh and Wack0, I'd suggest cleaning your cartridege connector if you haven't done so already. Older and more wore out games have a tendancy to get extremely dirty. The dust in the cartride can cause some interesting glitchy effects. (as can sending a cartridge through the washing machine or several other scenarios that damage game cartridges.)

I got dust in my red version once while playing and training my Aerodactyl Fossil Missingno. It took the form of the Squirtle I had in my party when I sent it out to fight a Level 241 Mewtwo on Cinnabar's East Coast. Suddenly the graphics screwed up and I made a get away because the fight was lasting forever. (Note Missingno's stats were not looked at.) I looked at my Farfetch'd's stats  and its picture was a black square. I then reset my game and when I got to the title screen all the pokemon were black squares. When I pressed start I heard Missingno's cry. The game said NEW GAME and OPTIONS only. Panicking I shut off my game boy and blew dust out of the cartridge and put it back in and everything was fine. I didn't lose my save data.

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2009-04-19 00:43:11
Something like that happened to my brother's Leaf Green version, except it said something like the circuit board was not installed and it started the intro scenes. After I reset it to try and show my brother the message, his save file was intact.

Posted by: Piedie
Date: 2009-04-19 12:56:18
For me, (who does not have that version), can you give us a picture, of some sort?